View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Musical Studies in the UK 
God Of The Sun

any artists need guitarists over here they come to us first (my best friend is sorting a contract with sonyBMG atm)

Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Actually I'm VERY well informed of all the M.I. details.. I read nothing but the M.I. course book when I'm at school.

The thing that REALLY puts me off about the 4 year M.I. program is the GED... FUCK DAT! I have too much fuckin' GED.. I'm not going to waste anymore time on that. If I can get the same degree in 3 years and spend every hour of my schooling on guitar then that sounds like a much better choice for me. Levy.. do you have to take GED to get a degree?

Also how much does it cost per semester for you? What will the grand total be from the time you started to the time you finish your degree?

If I do go to M.I. (I actually am going to take the encore program this summer, hopefully I will learn a lot of theory/reading that will help me wherever I go. But yeah if I do go to M.I. after high school it will only be for certificate...

Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:48 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

styles
songwriting
backing vocals
live performance live
live performance prep
technique
keyboards
harmony and theory
sightreading
music tech
history of pop
aural and transcribing
percussion

we do have to fill in a PDP (personal developmet plan) but thats all we do, fill it in in our own time, and our uni puts no importance on it

we have no classes for PDP, just a meeting per term with our personal tutor

hope that helps

and yes its 3 years

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

John Wheatcroft from Guitar - X came into my college last year to promote the course... I'm considering going there next year.
It was cool to meet a guy who has a column in guitar techniques too :)

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:30 pm
God Of The Sun

then you wana come to the icmp we have 8

:wink:

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

luke1010 wrote:

then you wana come to the icmp we have 8

I will deffinetley have to look into it

What requirements are needed to enter? Like theory grades? Instrumental grades etc? And UCAS points? etc...
I'm starting my final year of music college in september so I havnt looked massively into uni's or further education yet.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:48 pm
Superhero

yeah berklee, you can get a REAL qualification, at MI youl get a certificate.... i can give you a certificate...it doesnt mean anything

im getting an internationally respected degree validated by UEL

for that reason i say come here....

were did you get that from?

MI offers certificate, associate of arts and bachelors.

Im almost done with MI, and then going back to australia. I dont want to stay there though, its crap for music. I want to move back to the states or maybe even london and get a degree. possibly.

however, MI was a great experience and i learned more then i could imagine from the best players ive ever seen. I wouldn't shrug the mi off as a chump school, altho it has its problems.

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:05 pm
Search Button God!

I wouldn't shrug the mi off as a chump school, altho it has its problems.

Care to elaborate?

luke1010 wrote:
What requirements are needed to enter? Like theory grades? Instrumental grades etc? And UCAS points? etc...
I'm starting my final year of music college in september so I havnt looked massively into uni's or further education yet.

Check www.icmp.uk.com

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:29 pm
God Of The Sun

yeah iv heard that MI has its problems, we have our fair share too, its run by absolute muppets!

iv also read who forums DEDICATED to breklee complaints! hahaha

and what i meant about the "credit" of MI wasnt a real dig, but my point is, your courses are offered by MI, your qualifications are from MI. i just read the site and see that you offer a degree now, the icmp used to offer a degree but it was a BMus(hons) from the icmp....if you see what i mean. Out in the real world of work that doesnt mean shit all, i could get my mum to give me a "degree" but noone will take it seriously

this was what our degree graudates were finding, so now our degree program is in conjunction with the university of east london. So in effect we get our degree from them, the icmp just teaches it to us. The downside is that the degree is now alot more "academic" we lose some playing time and gain a lecture etc

i hope that fixes the problem, because if i come out and noone takes my degree seriously...well im screwed. Im only the 2nd intake of students to do the UEL validated degree....Noone has one yet! haha

and about australia.....

man.... Brett Garsed lives there

tho of course, your faculty list speaks for itself! scott henderson for the win

but on our side...not many people will be able to say they fired guthrie govan!!! hahahahah

Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Search Button God!

but on our side...not many people will be able to say they fired guthrie govan!!! hahahahah

Yeah soon people start hiring Guthrie just so they can fire him the next day and earn extra respect points in the music world :D

Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:13 am
Superhero

@ brono

yeah iv heard that MI has its problems, we have our fair share too, its run by absolute muppets!

iv also read who forums DEDICATED to breklee complaints! hahaha

and what i meant about the "credit" of MI wasnt a real dig, but my point is, your courses are offered by MI, your qualifications are from MI. i just read the site and see that you offer a degree now, the icmp used to offer a degree but it was a BMus(hons) from the icmp....if you see what i mean. Out in the real world of work that doesnt mean shit all, i could get my mum to give me a "degree" but noone will take it seriously

this was what our degree graudates were finding, so now our degree program is in conjunction with the university of east london. So in effect we get our degree from them, the icmp just teaches it to us. The downside is that the degree is now alot more "academic" we lose some playing time and gain a lecture etc

i hope that fixes the problem, because if i come out and noone takes my degree seriously...well im screwed. Im only the 2nd intake of students to do the UEL validated degree....Noone has one yet! haha

and about australia.....

man.... Brett Garsed lives there

tho of course, your faculty list speaks for itself! scott henderson for the win

honestly i think in the 'real world' it really comes down to how good you are and contacts. So if noone takes your degree seriously it doesnt matter imo alot of teachers at MI got hired just from recommendations and word of mouth through other teachers.

Theres a teacher at school named Bill LaFleur (who is amazing) and he is always dishing out the dirt with what problems MI has. The school isnt really being run by musicians anymore, and the teachers are always getting fucked over. MI keeps dropping the bar of what they expect from students so they can get more students. It will eventually dumb the curriculum down. pretty sad.
The thing MI really has going for it is the great teachers and the amazing clinics they organize.

that sucks about having academic classes, i just want to play guitar, not have to learn about the history of pop or whatever.

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:33 am
Superhero

the head of guitar at ICMP is an MI grad (he did it with gambale) he wrote our sylybus, i can assure you, its everything learnt at MI...and more

after all its a degree...not a certificate

Quality of education could be more desirable at either school. It depends what he wants I think.

Are you saying then that if Berklee offered a certificate and MI had a degree, you would go to MI...?????????

Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:08 pm
Search Button God!

MissMisstreater wrote:
the head of guitar at ICMP is an MI grad (he did it with gambale) he wrote our sylybus, i can assure you, its everything learnt at MI...and more

after all its a degree...not a certificate

Quality of education could be more desirable at either school. It depends what he wants I think.

Are you saying then that if Berklee offered a certificate and MI had a degree, you would go to MI...?????????

You have to realise that you're attempting something similar to discussing the weather over the phone.

A: 'man it's really cold out here'
B: 'yeah I imagine it is but I assure you it's colder where I'm standing'
A: 'no man I'm telling you I can feel my bones turn to ice'
B: 'my legs have turned into ice ages ago, it's seriously colder than you can imagine'
A: 'no because...'

The point is you'll never know exactly how it is on the other end of the line unless you go and see for yourself :)

Yeah I'm in the fancy metaphor mood ;)

Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2