View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hawkwind 
Viking Kong

Post Hawkwind
Well, I'm curious, does anyone listen to them at all? Would anyone recommend me to hear anything from them?... I've done a little research on them and it seems they've remained active ever since they were formed, so they've gotta be good somewhat right?...

I'm asking this because I wonder if they are only famous for being "the band that fired Lemmy Kilmister" :?

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Last edited by Acid Wire on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:41 am
God Of The Sun

Over their 30-odd year history, HAWKWIND were probably the most famous underground rock band in the world. The group was formed in the late '60s by guitarist/singer Dave BROCK, guitarist Mick SLATTERY and saxman/flautist/singer Nik TURNER. Dave BROCK was the leader of HAWKWIND and he was the captain, as it were. The band never would have made it for 30 years without Dave.

HAWKWIND's history has been marked by a series of confusing line-ups through 40 or so personnel changes. Their sound has continued to metamorphose and evolve: an almost jazz feel ("Hawkwind"), the "experimental" & acoustic sounds of early releases ("In Search of Space"), changing to the metal sound of their days (mid 70's), and a modern electronic feel on the latest ("Electric Teepee"). Yes, one can detect definite evolutions. With the primary use of the synthesizer, heavy and delay with the touch of techno, HAWKWIND practically created a genre of music that be called: psychedelic space-rock. Their creativity seems to be in the use of the synths to add to the intense moods of their songs. They were the master of the acid-space rock genre.

There are at least 100 total albums that are either compilations, EP's, bootlegs of live performances, etc. You can't go wrong with any of the 70's releases in my opinion.
"Doremi Fasol Latido" ('72) - A great album with a heavy metal space rock a-la lan Lemmy KILMISTER, who later founded MOTORHEAD.
"A Space Ritual" ('73) - The essential live album combining Space-rock music, and poetry. The GREATEST album in the world!
"Hall of the Mountain Grill" ('74) - A great album for FLOYD fans - very heavy, psychedelic music with lots of effects.
"Warrior at the Edge of Time" ('75) - In my opinion, THE classic album.
"Quark, Strangeness and Charm" ('77) - A return to a more traditional HAWKWIND sound.
"The Hawklords - 25 Years On" ('78) - This is a massive compilation of their best stuff.
"PXR 5" ('79) - This album really started the HAWKWIND tradition of semi-live, semi-studio albums.

Taken from ProgArchives.

Sorry for the reasonably long text but i think it sums it up better than i ever could. Not being a fan of them (heard "Warrior at the Edge of Time" and didn't like it much) i can certainly understand why they are one of the most important bands in psychedelic/space rock. Think Pink Floyd with a heavier sound.

As you might have figured it out "Doremi Fasol Latido" would be a good place to start since you like heavy metal :).

Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:00 pm
Viking Kong

Sorry to say but... this band's resume sounds like shit to me :lol:

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:37 am
God Of The Sun

You'll never know for sure until you give them a good listen, imo. Maybe the resume doesn't do them proper justice.

They didn't do it for me, though, a bit on the boring side. But i listened to Warrior at the Edge of Time which is a bit more spacey.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:53 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Love em.....Going to see them on July 12th..

Live 79 is a good album..

Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:28 pm
Godzilla

I've heard some of Hawkwind's music, but to be honest, I've listened to Motorhead WAY more than I've EVER listened to Hawkwind.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]