View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:32 am



Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 36  Next
 Sean Pierce's All-Purpose Pedal Thread 
Author Message
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:20 am
Posts: 3068
Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
Post 
Volkan wrote:
I bought a new guitar, so I can't buy any bigger amps now. I'm planning on not buying anything for a year and making my parents buy a head for me :lol:

anyone recommends the marshall 10 watts? :P


the MG10?
it's a decent little practice amp. usually if i want to boost the front end for some sustain, I use my OCD wit the volume boosted more than the gain.

also...A LOT of your sound had to do with cabling. believe it or not, since I started designing my own cables, I've noticed a GREAT, overall improvement in my tone. I was taught to make cables with a resistance reading of 0.2 or less. Most of the cables I've made have reached 0.0 ohms of resistance. This allows for the purest possible signal to travel through.
I would suggest investing in THE MOST OVERLOOKED part of your rig first...your CABLES!

but if you want something to boost gain i recommend these:
- Fulltone OCD
- Fulltone Fat-Boost
- Ibanez TS808
- Hardwire Tube Overdrive

_________________
Image
Image
Hi...my name is Sean. I'm a pedal addict.


Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:37 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:44 pm
Posts: 4646
Post 
Sean Pierce wrote:
Volkan wrote:
I bought a new guitar, so I can't buy any bigger amps now. I'm planning on not buying anything for a year and making my parents buy a head for me :lol:

anyone recommends the marshall 10 watts? :P


the MG10?
it's a decent little practice amp. usually if i want to boost the front end for some sustain, I use my OCD wit the volume boosted more than the gain.

also...A LOT of your sound had to do with cabling. believe it or not, since I started designing my own cables, I've noticed a GREAT, overall improvement in my tone. I was taught to make cables with a resistance reading of 0.2 or less. Most of the cables I've made have reached 0.0 ohms of resistance. This allows for the purest possible signal to travel through.
I would suggest investing in THE MOST OVERLOOKED part of your rig first...your CABLES!

but if you want something to boost gain i recommend these:
- Fulltone OCD
- Fulltone Fat-Boost
- Ibanez TS808
- Hardwire Tube Overdrive

I don't have my pedals hooked up for a long time, I'm only using the distortion right now, so the problem ain't the cables :P and about the overdrive... I can get a ts9 (not 808 cuz it's too expensive for me) or an mxr distortion + or some boss one. I don't wanna try more boss pedals now, I don't find them covering my needs. I gotta try a couple o more in the music store in a couple of days :P

_________________
Image
http://www.facebook.com/psychoticTR


Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:30 am
Profile
Viking Kong

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:20 am
Posts: 6727
Post 
Yo Sean, I bought that boss equalizer and it works GREAT on my Laney. Put it in the effects loop and boost the bass, and it sounds much better. Cut a tiny bit of highs, and the notorious harsh end is much more bearable.

Recommend it to anyone who wants a little more oomph and EQ tweaks.


Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:21 pm
Profile
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:20 am
Posts: 3068
Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
Post 
Refried Bean wrote:
Yo Sean, I bought that boss equalizer and it works GREAT on my Laney. Put it in the effects loop and boost the bass, and it sounds much better. Cut a tiny bit of highs, and the notorious harsh end is much more bearable.

Recommend it to anyone who wants a little more oomph and EQ tweaks.


Cool man, glad it's working for you and doing what you need it to do!

Again, experimentation is the biggest thing when it comes to your effects. What works for one doesn't work for the other.

Volkan wrote:
I don't have my pedals hooked up for a long time, I'm only using the distortion right now, so the problem ain't the cables

You'd be surprised.
An average Monster Cable, which MANY guitarists regard as the best cables, measure a resistance of 1.5 ohms or MORE! That is precious signal being lost.
The output of an electric guitar before amplification is LOW. And any loss of that low signal is a big problem.
I had to make a cable for my Electronics class. I plugged it in my amp at home with my Les Paul. The cables has a resistance measurement of 0.0 ohms. The difference...WOW!!! Unbelievable.

Cables = the MOST OVERLOOKED part of your rig

_________________
Image
Image
Hi...my name is Sean. I'm a pedal addict.


Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:48 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:44 pm
Posts: 4646
Post 
Sean Pierce wrote:
Volkan wrote:
I don't have my pedals hooked up for a long time, I'm only using the distortion right now, so the problem ain't the cables

You'd be surprised.
An average Monster Cable, which MANY guitarists regard as the best cables, measure a resistance of 1.5 ohms or MORE! That is precious signal being lost.
The output of an electric guitar before amplification is LOW. And any loss of that low signal is a big problem.
I had to make a cable for my Electronics class. I plugged it in my amp at home with my Les Paul. The cables has a resistance measurement of 0.0 ohms. The difference...WOW!!! Unbelievable.

Cables = the MOST OVERLOOKED part of your rig

I had two switchcraft jacks lying around, and I decided to make one cable with those. It's cool but I don't know the resistance. I'll measure it now.

omfg its really 0.00 :shock:

_________________
Image
http://www.facebook.com/psychoticTR


Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:02 am
Profile
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:20 am
Posts: 3068
Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
Post 
Volkan wrote:
Sean Pierce wrote:
Volkan wrote:
I don't have my pedals hooked up for a long time, I'm only using the distortion right now, so the problem ain't the cables

You'd be surprised.
An average Monster Cable, which MANY guitarists regard as the best cables, measure a resistance of 1.5 ohms or MORE! That is precious signal being lost.
The output of an electric guitar before amplification is LOW. And any loss of that low signal is a big problem.
I had to make a cable for my Electronics class. I plugged it in my amp at home with my Les Paul. The cables has a resistance measurement of 0.0 ohms. The difference...WOW!!! Unbelievable.

Cables = the MOST OVERLOOKED part of your rig

I had two switchcraft jacks lying around, and I decided to make one cable with those. It's cool but I don't know the resistance. I'll measure it now.

omfg its really 0.00 :shock:


really?

_________________
Image
Image
Hi...my name is Sean. I'm a pedal addict.


Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:10 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:44 pm
Posts: 4646
Post 
Sean Pierce wrote:
Volkan wrote:
Sean Pierce wrote:
Volkan wrote:
I don't have my pedals hooked up for a long time, I'm only using the distortion right now, so the problem ain't the cables

You'd be surprised.
An average Monster Cable, which MANY guitarists regard as the best cables, measure a resistance of 1.5 ohms or MORE! That is precious signal being lost.
The output of an electric guitar before amplification is LOW. And any loss of that low signal is a big problem.
I had to make a cable for my Electronics class. I plugged it in my amp at home with my Les Paul. The cables has a resistance measurement of 0.0 ohms. The difference...WOW!!! Unbelievable.

Cables = the MOST OVERLOOKED part of your rig

I had two switchcraft jacks lying around, and I decided to make one cable with those. It's cool but I don't know the resistance. I'll measure it now.

omfg its really 0.00 :shock:


really?

yeah, weird right? :lol: I wasn't expecting that

_________________
Image
http://www.facebook.com/psychoticTR


Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:51 am
Profile
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:20 am
Posts: 3068
Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
Post 
Volkan wrote:
Sean Pierce wrote:
Volkan wrote:
Sean Pierce wrote:
Volkan wrote:
I don't have my pedals hooked up for a long time, I'm only using the distortion right now, so the problem ain't the cables

You'd be surprised.
An average Monster Cable, which MANY guitarists regard as the best cables, measure a resistance of 1.5 ohms or MORE! That is precious signal being lost.
The output of an electric guitar before amplification is LOW. And any loss of that low signal is a big problem.
I had to make a cable for my Electronics class. I plugged it in my amp at home with my Les Paul. The cables has a resistance measurement of 0.0 ohms. The difference...WOW!!! Unbelievable.

Cables = the MOST OVERLOOKED part of your rig

I had two switchcraft jacks lying around, and I decided to make one cable with those. It's cool but I don't know the resistance. I'll measure it now.

omfg its really 0.00 :shock:


really?

yeah, weird right? :lol: I wasn't expecting that


i just wanted be be sure that wasn't sarcasm. but it really is the truth.
check any monster. both the ones i have registered at least 1.3.

_________________
Image
Image
Hi...my name is Sean. I'm a pedal addict.


Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:44 pm
Posts: 4646
Post 
Sean Pierce wrote:
Volkan wrote:
Sean Pierce wrote:
Volkan wrote:
Sean Pierce wrote:
Volkan wrote:
I don't have my pedals hooked up for a long time, I'm only using the distortion right now, so the problem ain't the cables

You'd be surprised.
An average Monster Cable, which MANY guitarists regard as the best cables, measure a resistance of 1.5 ohms or MORE! That is precious signal being lost.
The output of an electric guitar before amplification is LOW. And any loss of that low signal is a big problem.
I had to make a cable for my Electronics class. I plugged it in my amp at home with my Les Paul. The cables has a resistance measurement of 0.0 ohms. The difference...WOW!!! Unbelievable.

Cables = the MOST OVERLOOKED part of your rig

I had two switchcraft jacks lying around, and I decided to make one cable with those. It's cool but I don't know the resistance. I'll measure it now.

omfg its really 0.00 :shock:


really?

yeah, weird right? :lol: I wasn't expecting that


i just wanted be be sure that wasn't sarcasm. but it really is the truth.
check any monster. both the ones i have registered at least 1.3.

hahaha my cheapo patch cables are 1.8 or 1.7 :lol: , you're right man, you're speaking from experience :P

_________________
Image
http://www.facebook.com/psychoticTR


Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:11 pm
Profile
Superhero

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:41 am
Posts: 1051
Location: Poland
Post 
How do you minimize cable resistance? :D Buy good cable + jacks and hope to make good pots? :lol:

_________________
Image
For my covers click here.


Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:46 pm
Posts: 5489
Location: Torrance California
Post 
I don't consider resistance measurements as the only important factor when looking at cables. Yes low resistance is desirable to limit signal attenuation, but you also need to consider the frequency response.

You also should pay attention to the capacitance. A high capacitance can have a noticeable effect on the frequency response. It could attenuate some of your highs, it also could give you a gain increase in the mid range. If you are looking for the most accurate sound thats not what you are after. Good audio cables might have around 30Pf per foot. Really good low capacitance cables may be around 15 Pf per foot.


This graph for example shows the frequency response of the signal from the middle pickup of a strat. The green line is measured at the guitar jack (no cable). The blue line is with a 16 foot cable with 480pf of capacitance (30 Pf per foot). The pinkish purple line is a 35 foot cable with 1040pf capacitance (~ 30 Pf per foot).
Image

With no cable the frequency rolls off around 4.8Khz and has a flat frequency response up to that point. With the shorter cable the -3dB roll off is at about 4.4Khz with a 1dB increase in gain around 2.75Khz. With the longer cable the -3dB roll off is around 3.75Khz with a 2dB increase in gain at 2.44KHz

I have know idea if most of you will understand most of that. It seems simple to me, but have a degree in electrical engineering. I tried to get the concept across without diving into the math.

_________________
Image


Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:59 pm
Profile
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:20 am
Posts: 3068
Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
Post 
xjustice09x wrote:
I don't consider resistance measurements as the only important factor when looking at cables. Yes low resistance is desirable to limit signal attenuation, but you also need to consider the frequency response.

You also should pay attention to the capacitance. A high capacitance can have a noticeable effect on the frequency response. It could attenuate some of your highs, it also could give you a gain increase in the mid range. If you are looking for the most accurate sound thats not what you are after. Good audio cables might have around 30Pf per foot. Really good low capacitance cables may be around 15 Pf per foot.


This graph for example shows the frequency response of the signal from the middle pickup of a strat. The green line is measured at the guitar jack (no cable). The blue line is with a 16 foot cable with 480pf of capacitance (30 Pf per foot). The pinkish purple line is a 35 foot cable with 1040pf capacitance (~ 30 Pf per foot).
Image

With no cable the frequency rolls off around 4.8Khz and has a flat frequency response up to that point. With the shorter cable the -3dB roll off is at about 4.4Khz with a 1dB increase in gain around 2.75Khz. With the longer cable the -3dB roll off is around 3.75Khz with a 2dB increase in gain at 2.44KHz

I have know idea if most of you will understand most of that. It seems simple to me, but have a degree in electrical engineering. I tried to get the concept across without diving into the math.


Very cool man!!! Thank you for that.

Quote:
How do you minimize cable resistance? Buy good cable + jacks and hope to make good pots?


It is really all about the solder joints. Impurities in the circuitry can cause resistance as well as burns and rust.
Good cabling and connectors are merely two parts of the equation.
Many of my friends had cables reading 0.7, this had a lot to do with how they soldered.
There is a technique to it. You don't just melt tin+lead and get a good solder joint.[/quote]

_________________
Image
Image
Hi...my name is Sean. I'm a pedal addict.


Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:16 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:20 am
Posts: 3068
Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
Post 
BUMP

Check it out...new Fulltone toys!!!

Version 3 of the Fat Boost
http://www.fulltone.com/images/FB-3%20p ... 180dpi.jpg

The new FatBoost 3 (shipping now) replaces previous versions 1 and 2, marrying everything that people like about both version while improving on them in a few key areas:

*brings back the v1 11- position Gain control giving the ultimate in control over the FET's.

*adds one more stage of FET so that the pedal does not invert your signal

*cures v1's huge Bass increase and dull high-end issues, but allowing those sounds as well should you so desire.

###

Looks like fun. I've always wanted a Fat Boost and this one seems like it'll be a great improvement.

_________________
Image
Image
Hi...my name is Sean. I'm a pedal addict.


Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:04 am
Profile WWW
Superhero
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:16 am
Posts: 1274
Location: Oslo, London, Liverpool, Nashville, NYC, LA
Post 
Looks cool. The Fulltone stuff is always great!

_________________
Fender, Tyler, Bob Bradshaw, AnalogMan, MXR, Carl Martin, Skrydstrup, Vox


Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:11 am
Profile
Unt! I'm a Moderator.
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:21 am
Posts: 8618
Location: Las Gárgolas, California
Post 
I"ve been wanting to bump this thread for the past couple days but didn't have an excuse.

Well I'm reall considering getting the 10 band eq kit from what you posted Sean

Sean Pierce wrote:
Don't know if any of you guys are into building your own effects or anything similar but here's a great place to start:

It's called Build Your Own Clone (http://www.buildyourownclone.com/).
Here's kind of how it works...these guys search for the correct parts and put together the components and make the circuit board. They put all this with a metal housing and bone-head simple instructions.
Now all that's left is for you to get out you soldering iron, follow the instructions and with a little patience you can have a "Ram Head-spec" Big Muff, a "grey" DOD 250 overdrive, a killer digital delay that has analog warmth, and even a 10-band graphic EQ pedal.

Some of these parts are incredibly hard to come by and some of their kits are replicas of CLASSIC and discontinued favorites.

PLUS...with your first order you get a FREE kit called the confidence booster. It really is a booster, but I think you guys get the name.

Check it out, their stuff is really good.


How is the confidence booster?

Also, I'll try posting a pic of my redone pedal board today. Same pedals minus a couple and rearranged.

_________________
Jason Kahrs
October 1, 1973 - January 5, 2010
Rest In Peace My Friend


Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:50 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:20 am
Posts: 3068
Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
Post 
EricF wrote:
How is the confidence booster?


I'm not sure. It's really just the circuit board to get you comfortable with the idea of making you own stuff.

I have a friend who just built a large beaver though. he described it as David Gilmour and Smashing Pumpkins fighting it out in a box. Sound like a big muff i'd enjoy having!

_________________
Image
Image
Hi...my name is Sean. I'm a pedal addict.


Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:16 am
Posts: 1274
Location: Oslo, London, Liverpool, Nashville, NYC, LA
Post 
I want to get into that BYOC stuff myself, but I can't/don't know anyone who can build. :?

_________________
Fender, Tyler, Bob Bradshaw, AnalogMan, MXR, Carl Martin, Skrydstrup, Vox


Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:10 pm
Profile
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:20 am
Posts: 3068
Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
Post 
Tronnelol wrote:
I want to get into that BYOC stuff myself, but I can't/don't know anyone who can build. :?


from what i've been told they make it bone-head simple to follow.
all you need is a soldering iron, solder, and a good ability to follow directions.

after the recommendation, i am considering picking up a Large Beaver kit myself.

_________________
Image
Image
Hi...my name is Sean. I'm a pedal addict.


Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:30 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:21 am
Posts: 8618
Location: Las Gárgolas, California
Post 
Well here was the last board I posted I've been using exactly like this for the past couple weeks...

Image

Well it's been a HUGGGEEE pain in the ass to transport/connect.. I have the case top for it but the way I elevated the back row of pedals made it impossible to close the case. Plus I needed two super long cables to run from the DD-3 to the amp just for the effects loop... I did a lot of thinking.

I don't really use my wah, only on VERY rare occasions. So I took it off the board for the time being. And my FU-3 footswitch has an effects loop switch, so I can turn the effects loop on and off at the click of a button. So I decided just to put my DD-3 on top of my amp and leave on at all times, now I can control it from the footswitch. So the 2 biggest pains are now gone and my boar is as clean and simple as ever.. and best of all.. the case closes!!

Dark pics:

closed

Image

opened

Image

Also before I had my pedals in a VERYY awkward order... with the chain sorta going left to right/against pedal gravity. Now everythings cool and I'm diggin it. I'm going to play with the order a bit more tomorrow but I like it for now.

ANDD like 2 q's

1. Is the BYOC stuff like simple enough for me to do it?? I can hardly use the planet waves cable kit right.. :P

and 2: Any suggestions for a cheap but good quality delay pedal? I've found my DD-3s true calling and have been using it as a beautiful reverby delay instead of the 1 trick I bought it for. But now I want to use that trick sometimes. And of course I mean like The Echo Song style delay.. Is there any cheap pedals I can get just for that kind of delay?

Thanks :)

_________________
Jason Kahrs
October 1, 1973 - January 5, 2010
Rest In Peace My Friend


Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:07 pm
Posts: 5559
Location: Bra-silk
Post 
I'm going to get some cables for my B-day, and I'd like to know which ones are better:

Monster Cables or the Planet Waves w/ the cut the signal swittch thing.

I'm open to another suggestions, but you guys should be aware that we don't have all those brands in Brazil, so I might not find some of them here.

_________________
Image
JeffMartin wrote:
Incredibly cool artwork.
You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.


Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:36 pm
Profile YIM
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 36  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.