View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next
 Sean Pierce's All-Purpose Pedal Thread 
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
Put the DD-3 through the effects loop on your amp if it has one and it'll sound muchhhhhh better.

I see you took my advice Eric?

Speaking of pedal boards...I wanna see yours!
Get a pic up in this thread. Let's see the new rig.

This just isn't about my board, it's everyones...and all the questions that come with it.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:53 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Put the DD-3 through the effects loop on your amp if it has one and it'll sound muchhhhhh better.

sadly, my amp does not have an FX loop.. but I heard that a Boss LS-2 could be used as an FX loop. is it right?

and right now I'm gonna try the delay.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:17 pm
Godzilla

The LS-2 creates its own loop before the amp, but its not an effects loop like an amp has.

An amps effects loop goes inbetween the preamp and the power amp stages.

Plugging a pedal into the front of an amp the chain goes - guitar > pedal > preamp > power amp > speaker

Putting a pedal in the loop goes - Guitar > preamp > pedal > poweramp > speaker

Without a line out or effects loop you cannot get into the chain after the preamp.

Generally any modulation effects sound better after the preamp ie. in the effects loop, because they are processing an eq'd signal, rather than plugging in before the preamp where the pedal would be processing a flat signal, then the preamp would eq that.

I found my EH Small Clone sounds great in my effects loop, but for some reason my Deluxe Memory Man sounds a lot better before the amp. Its all down to personal preference. Unless of course you dont have a loop, in which case you have to make do! :)

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:34 pm
God Of The Sun

the amp does have a line out jack. How do I hook it up to make it act like an FX loop? sorry i'm a noob :oops:

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:03 pm
Godzilla

Line out is generally the signal between the preamp and poweramp, to be fed into another poweramp, but if you dont have a Line In on the amp to go with it you cant get back into the chain.

Line Out I beleive is also a different signal level. If you see any pro audio gear youll see "Line Level" and "Instrument Level"

Its probably not a good idea to use Line Out as a loop, even if you could get back into the poweramp.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:55 pm
God Of The Sun

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:00 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I see you took my advice Eric?

That I did and I've never been happier with it! :) I've also found that my chorus sounds freakin' amazing through the loop as well. Some pedals I don't really like through the loop... like the deluxe electric mistress. It still sounds OKAY but the sweep isn't nearly as 'powerful' as when it's in the chain. And that's the flange sound I dig.

Sean Pierce wrote:
Speaking of pedal boards...I wanna see yours!
Get a pic up in this thread. Let's see the new rig.

Haha I was waiting to finish building my actual BOARD because I've just got my pedals all over eachother.. a beautiful mess! :) But I promise I'll take pics later today and get some pics up.

Amp pics will have to wait a couple weeks though... :wink:

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

If you guys want some REALLY good demo videos on effects and amp and guitars check out the Pro Guitar Shop channel on YouTube:

www.youtube.com/user/ProGuitarShopDemos

Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:46 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

Yeah, I've seen that. Didn't cross my mind to post it here though. Thanks, Sean!

Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:28 am
is the Siren's Eye

Does anyone know anything about the ProTone Jason Becker pedal? I had ordered it in August but apparently my order was lost or something since I still haven't even been charged for it...so I was wondering if I would actually need it to get a tone something like Jason Becker's? Specifically, I'm not sure how to describe it but I'd love to have the part of the tone that seems like you have Yngwie's smooth and rounded tone, but then saturate it with gain to add grit/bite.

Or would I be able to get it with my current distortion pedals? I've got a Damage Control Solid Metal, Boss Metal-Zone (blah), and a Boss Super Overdrive. I've been tweaking the settings and I seem to get sort of close with the Solid Metal...but then it starts getting really noisy as the amount of grit/bite gets closer to what I want. Would a Keeley mod of the Boss pedals help at all? How about for getting something like Paul's GOOMY tone?

I was also wondering if I needed to buy an effects loop pedal for: EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Cry Baby Slash Wah, Digitech Whammy, Boss DD-3, Boss GE-7, Boss AW-3 to preserve tone...

Thanks!

Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:01 pm
God Of The Sun

Dennis of Pro Tone was very kind to me at NAMM.
I was invited to NAMM by Simple Amps...and I was working with them that weekend.
Simple Amps and Pro Tone Pedals had partnered up that weekend...Pro Tone gave us pedals, we gave them pedal-friendly amps.

I went to the booth and Dennis talked me through all of the pedals especially the Jason Becker Distrotion, as I have wanted one...even though I'm not entirely familiar with his sound from Perpetual Burn.
The pedal was very much set up like an older Marshall. The sound...was good, but the NAMM sound police had been on his case all weekend so we couldn't really turn it up. I was also playing through a pretty crappy Randall.

It doesn't matter if you've got a Fulltone, Boss, Z. Vex, Pro Tone, or whatever...if your amp sucks, A PEDAL IS NOT GOING TO MAKE UP FOR IT.
Thankfully I'm still on good terms with the guys at Simple Amps and maybe I can work something out where I can try it out again...LOUD!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your order problems. It is a limited edition pedal so maybe they ran out...but you should definately call them and check things out.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Some pedals I don't really like through the loop... like the deluxe electric mistress. It still sounds OKAY but the sweep isn't nearly as 'powerful' as when it's in the chain. And that's the flange sound I dig.

That's just like my MXR Phase 100! I put my Boss CE-3 in the Efx Loop as well by the way, it sounds way more chorusy that way! :)

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:19 pm
Superhero

I have everything in front of the amp. Oldschool!

Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:26 pm
Viking Kong

I'd love to as well, but none of my stuff is True Bypass... :lol:

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:42 pm
Godzilla

Anyone seen the new Vox Time Machine? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuAoXyza ... re=channel

Looks really sweet.

I just got an EH Deluxe Memory Man which I love, but Im seriously thinking about selling it for a Time Machine. Great tape echo sounds, as well as impressive digital. Mmmmm....

Anyone wanna buy my DMM?

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:03 pm
is the Siren's Eye

It doesn't matter if you've got a Fulltone, Boss, Z. Vex, Pro Tone, or whatever...if your amp sucks, A PEDAL IS NOT GOING TO MAKE UP FOR IT.

I don't suppose there are any good amps that weight as much as or less than a Cube 60 right? Unless I can carry it up and down 4+ flights of stairs without breaking my arms and back I'll have to wait for a few more years until I finish college and med school... :cry:

Sean Pierce wrote:
I'm sorry to hear about your order problems. It is a limited edition pedal so maybe they ran out...but you should definately call them and check things out.

Both versions are limited edition? I know there is one that has the other half of the artwork that is labled "LE" but wasn't aware even the first one was limited as well...although I actually pre-ordered so I don't know what's going on in either case. I was thinking of contacting them and just placing another order sometime before the summer if the first one has actually been lost, in the case that this isn't just a severe case of GAS.

I mean, if this isn't going to do much at all, or not as much as getting my existing pedals modded, then I'd rather just get my hands on a Keeley Compressor and that PG Airplane Flanger. But if it does provide the tone it says it does...I'd get it in an instant.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:32 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

As promised my pics were taken, I just haven't had the chance to upload 'em. I've been pretty damned busy. Good show Friday! :)

Hours earlier...

Later...

from left to right (kinda):

Dunlop 95Q Wah, Electro Harmonix Deluxe Electric Mistress, Boss DS-1 Keeley Ultra Mod, Fulltone OCD, (underneath: Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor), Analogman Chorus, Boss DD-3 Digital Delay, (and bottom right "E") Sonic Research ST-200 Turbo Tuner.

Underneath the dd-3 is my voodoo labs power pedal plus which is powering everything but the wah and tuner. (batteries) The footswitch is the Mesa FU-3 footswitch to my amp.

If anyone is wondering my chain it goes like this...

1st chain: Guitar >> ST-200 > Boss NS-2 (INPUT) >> Amp
2nd chain: Boss NS-2 (EFFECTS SEND) >> Dunlop 95Q > EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress > Boss DS-1 > Fulltone OCD >> Boss NS-2 (EFFECTS RETURN)
3rd chain: Amp EFX Loop (SEND) >> Boss DD-3 > Analogman Chorus >> Amp EFX Loop (RETURN)

more pics:
left half

right half

back view

ampppppp

:)

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:41 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

Cool stuff Eric! We just got a MarkIIc+ at the studio. Can't wait to play around with it.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:15 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:52 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

I'd love to as well, but none of my stuff is True Bypass... :lol:

My opinion on that is this: True Bypass is purely a buzz-word created to appeal to the tone hounds. But think about this...Jimi Hendrix had some GREAT tone. He put several wahs, fuzzes, and vibes in FRONT of his amps and STILL sound amazing.
Stevie Ray Vaughn...the old tube screamers were NOT true bypass. His wah wasn't...his univibes weren't.
David Gilmour...Big Muff...true bypass...fuck no.

Bottom line, if it sounds good...fuck it.

Supernaught wrote:
Anyone seen the new Vox Time Machine? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuAoXyza ... re=channel

Yep sure have...saw it at NAMM and I gotta say it's a pretty versatile little box. You could definitely get a boat-load of sounds out of it. BUt in all honesty, you have a delay with real character. The Time Machine is a pedal developed to replicate that character.
I've heard better tape replication, but if it proved of some use for me I would probably get it.
Try it when you find one and let us know.

Tronnelol wrote:
I have everything in front of the amp. Oldschool!

HELL YEAH!!!

Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next