View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Musical Studies in the UK 
Motorman

Post Musical Studies in the UK
Hey, guys... Just wondering whether anybody here knows some Universities of Music in the UK... No matter whether private.

I didnt know, where to put this topic, so mods.. if I put it in a wrong place please, move it.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:20 pm
Search Button God!

http://www.icmp.uk.com/ - Levi goes there, ask him for details.
http://www.guitar-x.co.uk/ - They have a cover of Far Beyond The Sun on their frontpage. 'nuff said :wink: :wink: :wink:

Both of these are in London. I remember there's also a school in Brighton (I think). Google is your friend ;)

Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:45 pm
God Of The Sun

http://www.bimm.co.uk/

but yes i go to the guitar institute

it is the DOGS!

you thinking of going to one?

Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Paul Macartny has a school in Liverpool with a great reputation. Dont remember the name at the mo...

Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:40 pm
Superhero

LIPA. But you really need some skills to get in. Not just pay to play.

Oh, and it's super expensive.

A friend of mine goes there and he pays about 15.000£ per year.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:52 pm
God Of The Sun

from what iv looked at its like an EXTREMELY well financed turd....

looks great...but the staff leave alot to be desired

icmp has the best tutors in the country... FACT

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

ACM has some great tutors, it's just a shame they're working with a terrible syllabus and pretty awful course.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:11 pm
Motorman

Thanks guys :wink: Yeah, I'm thinking of going to one of these soon :D Levi, where are you accomodated :?: and how high are the costs of the accomodation in lest say London :?: :wink: Levi, you have passed all of those bloody exams :shock: :?: Cuz I'm not into the theory :P So.. its going to be hard to get anywhere, am I right?

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:07 pm
God Of The Sun

my rent is 100 a week, you can find a room for 70 a week i guess

and yes i passed all the exams, im degree top group...so if your planning to do the degree, swat up, its not too hard

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:24 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

ok... so I have to keep on learning... I wonder whether you could tell me just a one more thing: What exams are there :?: Except for playing 2 selected tracks. Do I have to START learning how to read the notes :?: :shock:

Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:21 am
God Of The Sun

yes! theres a sightreading test to get in, its probably the most important test

i was told "if you cant sightread dont bother because they wont accept you, youl only fall behind" sightreading class is hard work, but also the weekly performance songs we have to learn have no tab either

Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

Sightreading is pretty easy once you get into it.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:55 am
God Of The Sun

exactly, you dont struggle to read words, and theres 26 letters, there are only 12 notes, and usualy u only use 7...it comes very quickly if you practice alot

Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Here's the question of the day... in a year and a half should I move to London and go to the London guitar school???

or M.I.??

Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

Since you already live in America, I suggest Berklee.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:57 pm
God Of The Sun

yeah berklee, you can get a REAL qualification, at MI youl get a certificate.... i can give you a certificate...it doesnt mean anything

im getting an internationally respected degree validated by UEL

for that reason i say come here....

:wink:

Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I would love to go to Berklee, however I believe Berklee costs more than the M.I. and the Ms.Misstreater's schooling combined.. am I right?

Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

it's not a matther of certificate or not.

MI can be better for you, if you're looking for what they teach over there (whatever that is)

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:05 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

the head of guitar at ICMP is an MI grad (he did it with gambale) he wrote our sylybus, i can assure you, its everything learnt at MI...and more

after all its a degree...not a certificate

Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:07 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

And the location matters as well. You already live in south Cali Eric, so it'd be favorable for the money to go to MI. If you go to London, you have to pay tuition + living costs. Expensive. Plus many material goods cost much more than it does over here.

Plus, you don't only have to go for the certificate (4 quarters, roughly one year) at MI. They offer a Bachelor of Music degree (4 years). There's also Associates as well. I don't know where Missmisstreater got his idea of "only certificates", but yeah, it isn't completely correct. You should check the website yourself Eric and get all the info you can. Sign up and get brochures. The MI brochure comes with a CD that you pop into a computer and you can check out all the enrollment dates and degree plans that you want to apply for.

I really recommend not slacking, and just go through those pdf files. Got to do a bit of research. It'll take 10 minutes at most.

BTW: I'm not saying that you shouldn't go to London. I'm thinking that Missmisstreater is a teeeeeensy bit biased about which school you should apply to, and you shouldn't rely on false info to decide which school you go to. Check both school websites, get the brochures, check the dates/courses/degree plans.

I kind of understand what Missmisstreater means my "certificate", because MI is fairly on the down low compared to berklee or another school, but a lot of LA music business CEOs will look for MI grads before looking at other schools. So if you're planning on a career here in the biz, then it'd be in your best interest to go to school here. If you go to london, I'd imagine it's the same thing. It's better if you live there.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next