View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Your Recording Process 
Dr. X

Post Your Recording Process
Im kinda new at recording...i'm looking to record some instrumental tracks on my own. I've got my drums and bass from programming them into guitar pro 5. i'm gonna use Audacity to record my guitar track.

so my question is: is it best to record whole sections at a time, and work at them until you get them perfect? or is it better to copy/paste licks you've already recorded into the next spot they appear?

Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:29 am
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
I have a Pro Tool LE system which makes things pretty easy.
I usually construct my drums using Instrument tracks and the Xpand! virtual instrument plug-in. It has some pretty good drum sounds in it as well as some cool synth and piano patches.

I record bass tracks over that, usually with a DI box running into my MBox 2. You can find good quilty DIs for under 40 bucks at just about any Guitar Center. For any processing, I like the IK Multimedia Ampeg SVX amp modeler.

As far as guitar tracks, I really prefer mic'd amp to anything else. I have a Shure SM57 hooked up almost all the time to my MBox. Any processing, usually some pedals or some simple Digidesign plug-ins.

ALWAYS RECORD TO A CLICK!!!

Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:53 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

When I'm at home, demoing, I do as Sean and program them into ProTools. At the big studio, when recording a finished track, I record live drums.

I do all the bass and guitars at home. FOr bass, I usually play the whole track through. With guitars I try to record the rythm tracks all the way through.

Since you don't have ProTools, you won't get fooled into using it for evil. :)

My advice would be to try and fail. Test things out and make them work for you.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:43 am
is evil...Evil Joe

I recently started with recording, and from what I've learned so far is that when I record things in one take, I feel more connected to the track. I'm not a really a copy/past kind of guy so this is just my opinion.

BTW: I've just spent a whole day recording a song using just a simple audio recorder that comes with Windows. Thanks to this board I've downloaded Audicity wich I will try out tomorrow!

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:59 am
Viking Kong

It depends how spontaneous you want your playing to be. If you really layed down the perfect guitar rhythm, it might be better to copy and paste to save time. I usually do take after take, because no one wants to hear a messy guitar player. BUT, I usually improv multiple solos first, and then clean it up after by taking a better take of that solo (the one which was my favorite).

I've copied/pasted much of a song that I wrote, but no one really knows/cares.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:19 am
God Of The Sun

It depends how spontaneous you want your playing to be. If you really layed down the perfect guitar rhythm, it might be better to copy and paste to save time. I usually do take after take, because no one wants to hear a messy guitar player. BUT, I usually improv multiple solos first, and then clean it up after by taking a better take of that solo (the one which was my favorite).

I've copied/pasted much of a song that I wrote, but no one really knows/cares.

I prefer to actually play the song twice. Even if you nail it twice, there are always little imperfections that make it sound cool.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:08 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]