View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next
 Sean Pierce's All-Purpose Pedal Thread 
Godzilla

I quite fancy the new Vox Satch Wah pedal, but its £150. If I was gonna spend that on a wah Id be a boutique snob and go for a Fulltone Clyde. Id be interested to hear if the Satch one's any good though.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:16 pm
God Of The Sun

Hey Volkan, if you're getting a Distortion +, get an old one, I tried a new one recently, and it's horrible. Either get an old +, or a new Zakk Wylde Overdrive, it's basically the same as the old one, only with a little more gain, and much better sound! :)

hmm... Getting an old one is pretty much impossible for me.. I've looked around the auction sites, but no hope.. hmm.. how about the distrotion III? cuz the zakk one goes for $180 :lol:

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:18 pm
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
Anyone tried a Satchurator yet?

I quite fancy the new Vox Satch Wah pedal, but its £150. If I was gonna spend that on a wah Id be a boutique snob and go for a Fulltone Clyde. Id be interested to hear if the Satch one's any good though.

I tried the Satchurator. I may have been playing it through the wrong amp though cause the amp wasn't totally clean. I didn't really like it that much. But then again the pedal is supposed to sound best through a clean amp.
The "More" button is a great idea that I'd like to incorporate into some of my future designs. It basically give a slight Volume boost as well as adding a little more gain for sustain and crunch.
I want to try it again.

The new Satch was only released at NAMM a few weeks ago and the douche at the VOX booth would only demo it for me and not let me play it. It sounded okay I guess...but I hate when companies don't let you try their stuff.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

i plan on picking up the Jemini at some point soon, but other than that i dont really know what to get

I've heard a lot of good things about the Jemini.
Unfortunately, the only place that had one was Sam Ash and by the time I could go and try it, they had sold the only one they had.

There's tons of great reviews on Musicians Friend. Check Harmony Central too.

I usually stay away from Harmony Central though. A lot of the people on their are very "snobbish" when it comes to tone and then there's other who don't know jack shit about what they're talking about.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:43 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

regarding distortion you will find you can get a better sound by using the amps clean channel, without a bright switch or equivalent, i put my gt8 with various distortion and delay settings into the clean channel of my laney vc30 2x12 and it sounds awesome, gain channels on amps plu pedals tend to fuck things up, Satriani apparently puts distortion through the clean channel too

Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:57 am
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
Has anyone tested the Boss DD20 ? it seems really cool =)

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

Wait, DD20? What happened to DD7-19 :lol:

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)

yeah DD20 :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snmDerEq7lM

Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

_NowakP wrote:

yeah DD20 :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snmDerEq7lM

it's been around for quite a while I guess, but it has cool functions

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:31 pm
God Of The Sun

and guys, I have a problem with my big muff, well not really a problem but, even when the treble is full on, I can't mute the stings whatsoever, I mean when the treble is crunk, (both on the amp and the muff), whenever I try to mute, it sounds like I'm trying to mute with the tone rolled off and with the neck pickup. but Paul uses it in metal dog in terrifying guitar trip, he mutes like mad, and the mutes are clear. what do you think the problem is?

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:35 pm
Godzilla

Mute as in left hand mute/silence, or mute as in right hand palm muting?

Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:16 pm
God Of The Sun

and guys, I have a problem with my big muff, well not really a problem but, even when the treble is full on, I can't mute the stings whatsoever, I mean when the treble is crunk, (both on the amp and the muff), whenever I try to mute, it sounds like I'm trying to mute with the tone rolled off and with the neck pickup. but Paul uses it in metal dog in terrifying guitar trip, he mutes like mad, and the mutes are clear. what do you think the problem is?

i don't think he's actually using it.
the thing about the Big Muff is exactly that...MUFF. it has a muffled sound that is supposed to sound more like a fuzz than a distortion.
I personally find that cranking the Tone knob all the way to be a bit much but that's my opinion.

do you think it's possible that the tone knob on your guitar was rolled off? that could be a possibility.

and by mute...if you mean like "60 cycle hum" and noise because of the gain in the pedal, then you are pretty much stuck, unless of course you want to add on a Boss NS-2 or an MXR Smart Gate to quiet things down a bit.
but if you mean palm muting...all i can say is that you should check your amp, pedal, and guitar.
Again, the Big Muff is all about the muffled sound so the fact that you can't get VERY articulated muting and notes is not surprising to me.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:31 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Hey Sean, I know this might be kind of a bad question, but I was just wondering which brand is your overall favorite brand?

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:52 am
God Of The Sun

Hey Sean, I know this might be kind of a bad question, but I was just wondering which brand is your overall favorite brand?

NOT A STUPID QUESTION AT ALL...Just one that's hard to answer.

I would say of all the brands that I've played over the years I have quite a few.

In terms of brands you can buy in major stores like Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Musicians Friend, etc., my favorite overall is definitely MXR/Dunlop.
Dunlop has really helped get MXR back to the glory it had in the 70s. I don't know if you've seen MXR pedals from the 80s, but they're built of plastic with terrible construction and parts.
Now...seriously, MXR pedals are some of the best built of the market. Their housing are incredibly rugged and look great and very a very good footprint on the pedal board. Their pedals sound better than anything on the market at the price point.
If you have not tried the Carbon Copy Analog Delay...TRY IT!!!
And the stuff they're doing with Custom Audio Electronics is ushering in a new way of thinking about "boutique" pedals.

As far as boutique companies...wow, I could never decide. I love my Z. Vex pedal. Unique designs and sounds, and of course the awesome look!
Fulltone is just TONE...pure and simple. Xotic effects are some of the best boosters I've ever played and I love the Robotalk! The Fuchs-Plush pedals are some of the BEST SOUNDING and PLAYING distortion pedals I have EVER played. And Way Huge Electronics...oh my god, I can't say enough!

I just really love pedals...bottom-line. People may think of them as unnecessary but as a professional guitarist and audio engineer-in-training and overall tone whore, they are incredible tools to shape your sound and find the tone that makes every note you play gush forth with blood, sweat, tears, and feeling.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:07 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Volkan wrote:

the thing about the Big Muff is exactly that...MUFF. it has a muffled sound that is supposed to sound more like a fuzz than a distortion.
I personally find that cranking the Tone knob all the way to be a bit much but that's my opinion.

do you think it's possible that the tone knob on your guitar was rolled off? that could be a possibility.

and by mute...if you mean like "60 cycle hum" and noise because of the gain in the pedal, then you are pretty much stuck, unless of course you want to add on a Boss NS-2 or an MXR Smart Gate to quiet things down a bit.
but if you mean palm muting...all i can say is that you should check your amp, pedal, and guitar.
Again, the Big Muff is all about the muffled sound so the fact that you can't get VERY articulated muting and notes is not surprising to me.

yeah I meant palm muting, but he's definitely playing thru that in the tuning section. check the floor you'll see the muff. okay then, thank you for the answer :P

Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:41 am
God Of The Sun

Sean Pierce wrote:
Volkan wrote:

yeah I meant palm muting, but he's definitely playing thru that in the tuning section. check the floor you'll see the muff. okay then, thank you for the answer :P

yeah i know it's in the tuning section...but probably not any other time.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:41 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Sean Pierce wrote:
Volkan wrote:

Paul doesn't use it in the video you're thinking about. I've never really heard him use a muff/fuzz before. It's just a random background wallpaper he decided to put up.

I'm pretty sure about that anyway.

If he IS boosting with the muff, I'd turn down the gain level down, but the volume all the way up. See if that helps. If it doesn't you're out of luck. I never heard of Paul actively using a muff before.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:12 am
God Of The Sun

Volkan wrote:
Sean Pierce wrote:
Volkan wrote:

Paul doesn't use it in the video you're thinking about. I've never really heard him use a muff/fuzz before. It's just a random background wallpaper he decided to put up.

I'm pretty sure about that anyway.

If he IS boosting with the muff, I'd turn down the gain level down, but the volume all the way up. See if that helps. If it doesn't you're out of luck. I never heard of Paul actively using a muff before.

He definately uses it in the tuning section.

When he goes really high up on the Low E string the tone is very smooth and muffled. He has it on.
He's probably got the Laney cranked with the Big Muff in front of it to get really, really, really creamy and gobbed on distortion.

I did that once to play "Cherub Rock". Got the exact sound I needed.

The Big Muff is fun...I love my Russian-style Big Muff. I just wish it had come in a cool wooden box. :(

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:04 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:42 am
Viking Kong

Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next