View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 My Name is not Doug Steele 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post My Name is not Doug Steele
My Name is not Doug Steele

Doug is a friend of mine and is a great Guitar Player check him out of youtube, he also was one of the top finalists in the Dean Shred competition.

http://deanguitars.com/shredder/viewProfile.php?id=63

I used to do a Radio Show with Doug back in the day.

Doug however has claimed for sometime that he also wrote the email and that snakebyte is two people. He didn't make this claim until Paul Responded to the email and it became infamous, all a bit sad really.

So I will clear this up so Doug doesn't embarrass himself any further.

Here is the original post on Paul's Old Site (u can find old things on the internet if you know how to look) regarding King of clubs and my email

------------------------------
KING OF CLUBS
My first official solo CD!!! Bruce Bouillet came out to my studio in Las Vegas and put up with my completely insane work schedule, futile attempts at drumming, and incomprehensable studio wiring.
After realizing that my drumming was not really "world-class", I had Jeff Martin and Pat Torpey come out to finish the tracks. I did keep my drum tracks for "I'm Just In Love".
I'm really proud of this record. It's my first serious attempt at lead vocals and pop songwriting, and I thought it came out pretty good. Of course this was a change from my typical metal-influenced style...
Most listeners were very supportive, but there were a few exceptions! My favorite by far was an e-mail from an Australian guy who calls himself "Snakebyte". His letter helped inspire the reunion of Racer X and the song "Snakebite" on the Racer X CD "Technical Difficulties". Here is an excerpt from his letter. Enjoy!

Dude,
What the fuck R U thinking? I can't believe this shit came from the same guy that was responsible for Racer X and played the kick ass solo on Joey Tafolla's "Out of the Sun".
I read where you said "Mike Varney told me to play fast". What is that about? Yeah like you never liked that stuff. The shred guitar world has been totally screwed over by no-talent heroin users and your fucking contributing to it!!
You R capable of a monster neo-classical instrumental album, that's what your real fans want to hear. The ones that have been with you from the start and have suffered every corny blues lick with that shit twangy ass reaming tone. Neo-classical with the distortion tone of Second Heat. Racer X rocks, you're not going to be big in the USA. You're clinging to a dream that's never gonna happen. Your fans are in Japan, the same fans that like Impelliteri, Malmsteen, etc.
Your last effort is appealing to no-one. If you have to get it out of your system fair enough, but for every piece of shit album like this you're morally directed to release a shred album.
I read your column in Guitar Player, while you where in Mr. Big. What was the main topic? Shred. What genre? Neo-Classical.
What like Metal was cool so I'll do that, ooh grunge is big, I'll do that. Fuck!! Have some balls, be true to yourself. Fuck everyone and play what you want. Don't try to tell me it's this shit!! We both know that you love Racer X, you're just obsessed with Popularity and money.
Your a musical prostitute. You suck,
Snakebyte
P.S.(from Paul) I ended up talking to Snakebyte on the phone a few months later, and he was really polite!

-----------------------------

Doug was sitting next to me at a radio station when I wrote this, we had just finished an episode of our show "The Mental Ward". Everything posted on Paul's site was written by me.

However....

Doug did add something at the bottom of this email which started as follows,

------------
My turn now,

there are two of us here....

(he then went on to thank Paul for his instructional videos and nicely ask for some heavy metal, and generally kiss Paul's ass, at the time I think he was worried about being associated with my diatribe)
------------

This is why Paul refers to what I wrote as an excerpt.

I may have the original including Doug addendum on an old, old Hard Disk somewhere. If I find it I will post Doug's part

Doug's obsession with this had just been an in joke with some mutual friends, but once again years later now that Jeff had made reference to me again at the 2009 NAMM show Doug was compelled to post the following...

"Actually, the email was written by a friend and I, and we were just fed up with Paul's gay ass solo albums. No one wants to hear PG play the fucking blues..My friend's email addy was snakebyte69, and that's what we sent the email from, hence the song."

Paul and I communicated after this email and talked on the phone, I made further suggestions regarding being true to his Heavy Metal roots and keeping bad record company influences away from the recording process. All before "snakebite" the song was written and before Technical Difficulties was recorded. Paul and Jeff also sent me a nice letter with some old Racer X picks and flyers.

Paul and Jeff of course can verify this, though I would think they have better things to do with their time.

The sad thing is that this detracts from what an amazing guitar player Doug is. Do a search for a band called "Flatstick" online to hear Doug and the late Gary McKays amazing playing.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=54169966

Doug has also had interactions with famous people. Yngwie Malmsteen always wears sunglasses, well Doug pressured him at NAMM until he took them off. I don't think anyone else has achieved this.

Doug you have never abused Paul Gilbert, Snakebite was not written about you, and not one word of what was posted on Paul's website was written by you.

Not everything is about you, Doug you need to let it go buddy!

P.S.

It has always amazed me that this was ever such a big deal, I don't give a fuck about how famous Paul Gilbert or Jeff Martin is or anyone else for that matter. Paul is an amazing guitar player and Jeff is an amazing singer same goes for Scott, John and Bruce. They are all really cool talented people and that is why I like them. Paris Hilton and Britney Spears are famous, who cares! If more fans told the truth about albums and concerts we would have better music. That's the important thing THE MUSIC!

www.defenderofrock.com

Last edited by snakebyte on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:42 am, edited 7 times in total.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:39 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Nice to see you're still looking at the board, since you never post =). Man, now is time for another one of your stunts! Reunite Racer X! :P

We're all working hard on it though...

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:04 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Post New Racer X Record
Last time I spoke with Paul he said they would do more, I think everyone is busy paying the rent/mortgage with other projects.

www.defenderofrock.com

Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:08 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

I say you and Doug should come here and hijack all the radio stations and play heavy metal 48/7.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:25 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Imagine Howard Stern/Heavy Metal Guitar with no budget

That was our Radio show it was called the Mental Ward and was on a community Radio Station that was run by Christians, we were kicked off quite a bit!

www.defenderofrock.com

Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:30 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
Ah never seen this before! That phonecall must have been amazing :D

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:08 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Thanks for posting the original letter. Paul lost the stuff on his site a few years ago....so that's why it's not there.

Can I change the title of this thread now?? Snakebyte - The original Racer X email.

Regards,
Ken

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Thanks for telling us the story. I didn't know anything about Paul Gilbert or RX by the time that happened!

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:38 am
Profile YIM
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

That is the most awesome email I've ever read. Thanks man. You rock

Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:26 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
I applaud you.

Welcome back...i guess.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:10 am
Profile WWW
is the Siren's Eye

I have been searching for that email for years!

Thanks for posting it mate.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:35 pm
God Of The Sun

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:03 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Yeah I used to take guitar lessons from Doug and we filmed that shred durst part 1 & 2 together. Good times...

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:54 pm
Superhero

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]