View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Official I am Depressed Because of NAMM thread 
Superhero

If Jeff is so into it...
I dunno. I get the whole schedule thing/money issue.

But are you guys freakin SERIOUS?
How "rock and roll" is it to say nah, I have a pretty busy schedule. And I don't really think we will make enough money.

About a Racer X tour.

I don't fucking get that.
In my opinion, there has to be something extra. Like paul and someone have beef. Maybe paul just really just doesn't like that shred style as much anymore. I dunno, this is all too weird. Racer X! TOUR THE FUCKING WORLD! WE WILL FOLLOW YOU!

Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:41 pm
Dr. X

I feel like there's something we can do.
If Jeff is so into it...

How "rock and roll" is it to say nah, I have a pretty busy schedule. And I don't really think we will make enough money.

About a Racer X tour.

In my opinion, there has to be something extra. Like paul and someone have beef. Maybe paul just really just doesn't like that shred style as much anymore. I dunno, this is all too weird. Racer X! TOUR THE FUCKING WORLD! WE WILL FOLLOW YOU!

I have a feeling, and this is just my personal opinion since talking to some people at vip, that Paul will leave shred and turn to jazz or something else, just like Gary Moore used to be king of rock guitarists and gave it all up to do blues and has never looked back, one crew member told me he was taking lessons again to do with jazz etc but i did not get all the details, i feel he has done the fast guitar playing to death and wants something else, he said to me that he was looking for areas of the fretboard to play things differently and that you do get tired of the same old licks. Just my opinion.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:45 pm
Motorman

I have a feeling, and this is just my personal opinion since talking to some people at vip, that Paul will leave shred and turn to jazz or something else, just like Gary Moore used to be king of rock guitarists and gave it all up to do blues and has never looked back, one crew member told me he was taking lessons again to do with jazz etc but i did not get all the details, i feel he has done the fast guitar playing to death and wants something else, he said to me that he was looking for areas of the fretboard to play things differently and that you do get tired of the same old licks. Just my opinion.

I hope not. :(

Fender HH Tele / RG7321 / Gunslinger -> Pitchblack -> BYOC Wah -> DOD FX25B -> Phase100 -> Xotic EP Booster -> Xotic BB Preamp -> Eventide TimeFactor -> Carvin X100B -> Dr.Z Air Brake -> Orange 2x12

Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:54 pm
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
pgm992 wrote:
I feel like there's something we can do.
If Jeff is so into it...

About a Racer X tour.

Of course he is widening his view of music! he has always done that and really enjoys it! but remember that he has build up and style for all his career and its unbreakable so the shred will probably stay :) but with new awsome stuff =)

Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

worldwide racer x have next to no fans, membership of this forum is less than 3000, Judas Priest have not sold out their tour in UK and they are a british band, i do not like these facts but this is all the music industry cares about, in reality Paul is more famous in europe than he is in america, he is seen as a club player in america, Scott Travis earns good with JP and Juan with Mars Volta, and Jeff?, i am not being pessimistic but realistic, to me Paul Gilbert is the 2nd best guitarist on earth after Phil Hilborne, and racer x are the best metal band on earth, but they would not sell out a worldwide tour of small venues, there are japanese car clubs on the net with 12000 members, racer x has less than 3000, it is a bastard but there we go. Racer x are it to me, but to the money grabbing world they are gone.Of course i would love to be wrong

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:11 pm
Viking Kong

Hey guys, if I ever win a couple of millions in a lottery, I'm getting Racer X over the pond for everyone. That'd be my main priority.

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:14 pm
King Of The Monsters

Facts:

1. Paul Gilbert, playing ALONE has done tours in:
- South America
- Europe
- Japan

2. A band WITH PG + ST + JA + JM would sell, AT LEAST, the same seats Paul sells.

3. Of course for JA or ST it would not be a HUGE tour, and there's no way they will play for 5,000 + fans each night. But I bet the fun they´ll have and to be able to play this kick ass music is worth a shot.

Image Image

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

after Phil Hilborne

now theres an argument waiting to happen

:lol:

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Search Button God!

mattanna wrote:
after Phil Hilborne

now theres an argument waiting to happen

:lol:

Phil who? :twisted:

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:58 pm
Queen Dork of the board

mattanna, you're forgetting one very important thing here... Paul Gilbert is an integral part of Racer X, and Paul Gilbert has HEAPS of fans worldwide. Not as many as Yngwie or Vai, but plenty!

People like me would go to a Racer X show just to see Paul. There are lots of us out there - and we support whatever the artist is doing (so long as it's tasteful. If he pulls a GG Allin I will not support it. LOL)

A lot of venues on Paul's last tour were sold out or even oversold. Granted, they were small venues, but that is likely because the label was playing it *very safe* in bad economic times, not because he lacks a fanbase. Check out the reviews - I have almost every one of them I could find, and the ones I don't have, PaulTheYoungDude has (because I sent them to him). I heard stories about fistfights over guitar picks... these people are rabid, and they will happily consume anything he offers them (again if it is tasteful).

Unfortunately Paul is not a household name as some have suggested; he has been underexposed for most of his career.

> one crew member told me he was taking lessons again to do with jazz etc

That is true (I have transcripts) - why would a crew member tell you like it was some sort of gossip? I mean, so?! Paul has said that in interviews; the LickLibrary one from LIMS '08 comes to mind. Emi is also taking jazz lessons on piano. We have all seen what a fantastic musical team Paul & Emi make. Improving your technique and growing musically is always good and healthy. Paul is a virtuoso. He is not a shredder. He can play very fast but it is only one facet of his ability. All genres are open to the many talents of the virtuoso. Restriction to one genre is limiting and stifling. The more genres these people tackle, the better they become across the board. You have to remember that Paul also plays drums and piano. That doesn't mean he's going to give up guitar. Please don't worry so much... he will always play fast stuff, it might not always be fast 'metally' stuff but it's always going to be ear candy.

> they would not sell out a worldwide tour of small venues

No band would -- be fair here. You get down to promoter advertising, timing, and location in that scenario. Tuesday night shows that end at 1 am are a major problem (see Bilbao). Shows in the bad part of town, or in a place that's hard to find, can be a problem getting fans to the clubs (see Warsaw). Unadvertised shows can be a problem. (see Murcia) I'm not even talking about ticket prices during a worldwide recession here. None of those issues are caused by the artist but all affect the draw to a show. Some venues will not sell out; it is a given. Some will oversell. It all should turn up even in the end if it is well-planned / well-advertised.

Guitarp77 > you are talking about a 2-3 month tour, its not "that" big...

That is huge. That's a quarter of a year.
Think of it this way: would your boss give you 2-3 months off without firing you?
2 weeks at a time is a lot, 1 week at a time is the usual (in America).

One thing that you guys might not be aware of is when you get to a certain level in the music biz (like Judas Priest) - the label will tell you when to release your albums, and when you will tour. There is some leeway (like if you break an arm, it's ok to move the dates back a bit) but it is very difficult to get that leeway. Like you have to break an arm difficult. These things generally get put in to contracts and then the band has to go by what the contract says. So even if Paul was willing and able, Priest might not let THAT GUY out of the band to do the tour, or Mars Volta might not let THAT GUY go out with Paul, etc... due to contracts. It all depends on these legal things at certain levels. If they can make it happen they will...

They are professionals and will not do it in a hacked-together, half-ass way just because a few people demand it.

... This is why nagging them and insulting them if they don't do what you want them to, is counterproductive.

Just sit back, relax, and enjoy. Things will happen on their own natural timetable.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:40 am
God Of The Sun

> they would not sell out a worldwide tour of small venues

No band would -- be fair here.

I think its safe to say that if Paul McCartney, AC/DC, Van Halen, or other bands of such magnitude played a 2-3 month worldwide tour of just small venues, they would all easily sell out every venue. No matter the day or time of the shows.

flying-dino wrote:
... This is why nagging them and insulting them if they don't do what you want them to, is counterproductive.

Just sit back, relax, and enjoy. Things will happen on their own natural timetable.

Then let's not show that we want them to keep playing and make new music. Let's just all stand by and wait for it to happen. :roll:
If us fans all of a sudden stopped "nagging" for Racer X to get back together, then it would never happen. Without demand, there will never be a product to sell.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:19 am
Queen Dork of the board

> I think its safe to say that if Paul McCartney, AC/DC, Van Halen, or other bands of such magnitude played a 2-3 month worldwide tour of just small venues, they would all easily sell out every venue. No matter the day or time of the shows.

You're correct, but would they do that? The tickets would have to be $500 each to make it worth their while. Those bands have touring planes. Some have roads named after them.

I was trying to keep the debate on a similar 'level' to bands of Racer X status to be realistic; I guess I should have said that. It would be great if they were of AC/DC status.

> Without demand, there will never be a product to sell.

Very true, but there is a very clear difference between demand and insults like "fuck his solo stuff, I want to hear Racer X."

You can gauge demand with a lot of different factors - traffic to this site being one of them.

Like Lamer said, it only took one well-placed e-mail to reform Racer X, no nagging needed... so that's another factor to consider.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:25 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

dino, this board has been a PAUL GILBERT board for the longest time. Nobody really takes Racer X seriously because of this. Traffic to the site has always been aimed towards Paul Gilbert's solo material. Rarely has it gone towards the direction of Mars Volta. Sometimes Judas Priest. Sometimes the bands that Jeff would play drums for. Do you want more unsaid facts?

Also, stop stereotyping everyone who likes Racer X to bashing Paul's solo stuff. We enjoy it too. We just don't like it as much.

And you're right. The status of Racer X has never gone up because of people like you, no offense. You guys don't need to "nag" Paul about doing something because he's already doing it.

Don't think of US the people who like RACER X on the RACER X BOARD as stupid because we're trying our best to tell them that they have fans all over the world still waiting for them regardless of how impossible it is.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:54 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

You've seen this before...

Paul Gilbert is my favorite guitarist. And I have spent literally thousands of dolllars and hours collecting, supporting, and listening to all of his music over the years. I've listened to every one of those cds on my bed many times. And I love every cd dearly, Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar, and United States are both fantastic albums and I have listened to Silence more than any other cd on my ipod, and United States is getting up there. I was there when Bruce and Paul started playing together again on the G3 tour... I was there the very first time Paul tested out the Fireman... I was there at the very first band show, the very first performances of the then new cd Silence.. Roar... and I was there on Saturday. and I will be seeing Paul 2 or 3 times within the next 2 months. (if all goes according to plan)

I love Paul Gilbert. He is my hero, my biggest inspiration to play guitar. I love everything he does, and everything he has ever done. He has given me four of the best nights of my life. Although two of those nights he left me in a parking lot... I will always continue to love and support him. I know that if I continue to support him in every way some day I will have my chance to meet him.

With all that said, nothing in the world would make me happier than to hear that Paul is going to record a new Racer X album.

That literally would make me happier than ANYTHING in the world. and that IS NOT an exaggeration.. and yes Nitefly if you're reading this.. I do have a very pleasant life.

In the words of The Surgeon.. I am a Racer X fan first, and a Paul Gilbert fan second.

I really hope Paul decides to keep playing with Racer X. :(

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:26 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
I was there the very first time Paul tested out the Fireman...(

AND HE HELD THAT NOTE FOR-FUCKING-EVER!!!

It was one of the single-most beautiful and inspiring and moving moments I've ever experienced watching one of my favorite guitarists perform.

by the way Eric...I still have all those pictures.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:23 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

2. A band WITH PG + ST + JA + JM would sell, AT LEAST, the same seats Paul sells.

As much as I HATE to admit it, I have to disagree with you here bro... Saturday night was proof... As soon as Pauls solo set was done the place was half empty... I would never have believed it had I not seen it for myself... :x

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:10 am
Viking Kong

I was there when Bruce and Paul started playing together again on the G3 tour...

Actually they first did this at The Viper Room... I was there... :wink: :twisted:

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:13 am
Search Button God!

Guitarp77 wrote:

As much as I HATE to admit it, I have to disagree with you here bro... Saturday night was proof... As soon as Pauls solo set was done the place was half empty...

:shock: :shock: :shock: huh? What the hell is wrong with people?

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:30 am
Viking Kong

:shock: HOLY SHITE !!! The Firemans gonna retail for 9K+ ?!?!?! WTF?!?!? Does it make you automatically play like Paul or what....

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:52 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

EricF wrote:
I was there when Bruce and Paul started playing together again on the G3 tour...

Actually they first did this at The Viper Room... I was there... :wink: :twisted:

Yeah that's why I didn't say "first" :wink:

and oh my gosh that was a very :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: moment when I found out the viper room was 21+ :cry:

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:04 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next