View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Racer X Show Recap 
Site Admin

Post Racer X Show Recap
In the words, Mike Szuter.....

"It was a Vulgar Display Of Vocal Power".

It was the best Racer X show that I've ever seen since 1988. Paul was ..well...FREAKING PAUL. Scott's set was awesome and killer playing....John was bad ass.....and Jeff.....was SONICALLY DESTRUCTIVE. He was hitting notes that were ridiculous.

The whole show was fantastic....Andy Timmons is a great guy, and fun player to watch (my first time), Paul's solo set was great....Freddie has a killer voice....and then Racer X to cap it off.

I saw quite a few people.....Satan (Howie Simon), Bobby from Halford, EricF, Brono, Xela.....great to see 'em.....and Brono, gets the fan vocals....good thing he knows the words!!

Regards,
Ken

Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:09 pm
God Of The Sun

Maaaaaaan, I don't wanna even look at this thread again. :cry:

If they don't get back together to ROCK the earth then that's just gay!

Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:12 pm
Viking Kong

This just makes me wish I was there even more.

Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:55 pm
God Of The Sun

This just makes me wish I was there even more.

+1 :(

Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:02 pm
Godzilla

I was at the show also. Even those with NAMM badges didn't know whether THEY could get into the show until the last minute, as everyone thought they needed an additonal pass (as needed for the Alice Cooper show going on at the Hilton the same night). It definitely was NOT the band's fault. There are so may variables -- the hotel capacity/policies, NAMM policies, Ibanez, etc. Anyway, the show was absoutely unfucking-believeable. Spoke briefly with Jeff, Paul, and John at NAMM. I am sure Ken, Surg, etc. will have plenty of goodies to post! There were two large video screens on either side of the band so I am sure someone (Ibanez?) recorded the show. I didn't see Ken although I know he was there. Thank you, Racer X, for one helluva show! I am going back to NAMM today and hopefully some of the guys will still be around. . .

http://www.facebook.com/diatribute
http://www.facebook.com/whitelietheband

Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:05 pm
Viking Kong

Hey, to everyone who got in, I wanna say BIG congratulations, if I knew anyone would get in a month ago, I would've been a busker all month to afford the ticket to go to LA. And Eric, I'm so glad you got to see them, I know what that meant to you, as I'm equally a big fan as you! Hope you guys had one hell of a time!

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:18 pm
King Of The Monsters

And for all of us "non-seers"....our time will come!

Image Image

Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
Thats fucking sweet.

And for all of us "non-seers"....our time will come!

Bruce Dickinson has screamed that for years, now i want Jeff to scream it directly into my ears to belive it! haha

Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
Queen Dork of the board

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Last edited by flying-dino on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:46 pm
Superhero

was cool too meet a bunch of guys from the forum, and im glad we all ended up at the front. except ken went further back to film, thanks for taking one for the team to get some good footage ken. cant wait to see it

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:36 pm
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
was cool too meet a bunch of guys from the forum, and im glad we all ended up at the front. except ken went further back to film, thanks for taking one for the team to get some good footage ken. cant wait to see it

You could imagine how hungry WE are ! haha its like 30 people online at the board waiting for the videos and photos to come online :D

Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

ßrono wrote:

You could imagine how hungry WE are ! haha its like 30 people online at the board waiting for the videos and photos to come online :D

and there are NO videos up on youtube yet!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:24 pm
Profile YIM
Queen Dork of the board

It seems to me, that Americans on the whole, are slower about uploading their material, then Europeans are. This isn't the first time there has been a lag. It's just the most obvious.

:)

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Last edited by flying-dino on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:43 pm
Tab Master

I've noticed this too. They're all there posting and bragging they saw it, just fucking upload SOMETHING for christ sake. :evil:

Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:55 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Sorry about that guys.. my phone was dying just before the show began so I had to keep it off the whole time. I wish I would've taken pics. I know some of the other board members were though! Actually there was a lot of people taking pictures.

I'm just as anxious to see vids as everyone else.. I honestly need to see them to believe what happened yesterday. All I have of proof right now is the ringing in my ears.

:P

Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
Unt! I move topics!

Flew down to L.A. on Saturday. Drove out to Anaheim and parked at the Sheraton. Saw Alex (Xela) in the parking lot. Met up with Ken and had dinner at the Embassy Suites (saw Michael Angelo Batio at the bar in his wig). Back to the Sheraton just before the doors opened. Got into the VIP section (Thanks Ken!) and made my way up to the front (Paul’s side) … didn’t leave that spot the whole night.

Andy Timmons came out and played a brief set. Guy’s got chops but I wasn’t really feeling his music. Saw Jeff Martin watching briefly from the side of the stage (there was a side area with tables for the real VIPs … saw Billy Sheehan hanging out over there during Paul’s set).

Paul’s solo set was next. Paul was introduced by Mike Varney. The set list …

Norwegian Cowbell
Down To Mexico
Get Out of My Yard
Hurry Up
Castle Dragon
Suite Modale
Silence … Roar
Eudaimonia
Statesboro Blues (jam with Andy Timmons)
Paris Hilton
Girl From Omaha
Pulsar
Daddy, Brother
(Long Live Rock – on the set list, but not played)

Paul was awesome, as usual. I was not impressed by Freddy. Yes, he has a great singing voice. But the two songs he sang on didn’t rock at all. Pulsar had a really cool riff, but Paul sings that one anyway, so I didn’t think Freddy added that much.

Mike Varney came back out to introduce Racer X. Paul came out and had changed into a goofy outfit that didn’t look metal at all. But Jeff made up for it … I’m guessing those pants have been in his closet since 1986. John looked waaaay too normal in what looked to be sweats. And Scott was Scott.

So they launched into Superheroes and it was amazing. They were amazingly tight, especially in light of the fact that they’d only had limited rehearsals. And Jeff’s voice has only improved with age. And equally important, Jeff’s stage presence is almost as powerful as it was when Racer X ruled the Sunset Strip (I suspect it would have been even better if the crowd had been full of real Racer X fans). I couldn’t judge the crowd’s reaction because I was up front, but I was going nuts and headbanging like I was still in my 20’s. Dr. X was up next and it sounded much better live than on Getting Heavier. The rest of the set list is a bit of a blur (can’t remember the exact order) but it was something like …

Superheroes
Dr. X
Loud And Clear
Into The Night
Motorman
Technical Difficulties
Moonage Daydream
Dangerous Love
Snakebyte
Frenzy
Blowing Up The Radio
Scarified
Fire of Rock
Street Lethal
Heart of a Lion
Hammer Away

Paul brought out a different guitar about every two to three songs. Jeff came into the audience repeatedly and we all sang the lyrics with him (at one point I had my arm around him and we were face to face singing together into the microphone!) Jeff repeatedly made it clear that he desperately wants to get Racer X back together and that Paul is the hold out. Paul did look like he was really enjoying himself playing all the Racer X tunes, so maybe that will change (If you’re reading this, Paul … please, please, please get the band back together for a new CD and/or more shows!!!!!!)

Saw drumslut after the show which was very cool. Met EricF, which was also cool. I got Paul's setlist from his solo part of the show but didn't get a Racer X setlist. I did catch a guitar pick that one of the roadies threw out after the show but it wasn't a personalized pick so I'm not sure if it was Paul's or not. Didn't stick around afterwards because I had an early flight out of town this morning.

I took a bunch of pictures. I will upload them over the next few days but I can’t right now because my camera battery is dead and needs to recharge before I can transfer the pictures to my computer.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:51 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Great review, thanks! Looking forward to seeing those pictures.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:19 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I move topics!

Here's one picture to hold you guys until I get the rest editted and uploaded ...

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:20 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Looking forward to more pics n vids... 8)

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next