View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Question About Scotts Kit 
Godzilla

If I am not mistaken, Scott's trigger sounds are samples of HIS drum sounds (i.e., actual digital recordings of his actual drums). Anyway, you also have to consider the editing/mixing process, which can also make the drums sound "mechanical." And live, you have all sorts of effects and eq which can change the sound of the drums even without the use of triggers.

As for "cheaters," a good example is Peter Criss in his last tours with KISS. He played so light-handed, with no power and no energy, and yet his drums sounded huge due to his reliance upon triggers.

http://www.facebook.com/diatribute
http://www.facebook.com/whitelietheband

Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:45 pm
Dr. X

man that lick in that solo is hard to get down consistently every night!

Maybe I'll just record it and trigger it.

it doesn't sound as good when you put it in a different perspective.

With drums, I'm on the fence with this, mainly because I'm a musician and I like to hear and watch them play their instruments. But one thing that has to be realized, is that non-musicians, couldn't care less. They're there, to hear their favorite hits of their favorite band play the songs the way they've heard them before. That pressure is pretty intense, so I can see trigger's being used to keep a consistent sound. I can just see it getting out of hand and being a relied on as a crutch. Just turn up those dynamics a slight bit, so I don't have to pound as hard so I can sip on my mai tai while I drum.

Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

If I am not mistaken, Scott's trigger sounds are samples of HIS drum sounds (i.e., actual digital recordings of his actual drums). Anyway, you also have to consider the editing/mixing process, which can also make the drums sound "mechanical." And live, you have all sorts of effects and eq which can change the sound of the drums even without the use of triggers.

As for "cheaters," a good example is Peter Criss in his last tours with KISS. He played so light-handed, with no power and no energy, and yet his drums sounded huge due to his reliance upon triggers.

Yes...Scott's are his.

And yeah...Peter couldn't hit them anymore....getting old sucks.

Regards,
Ken

Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:55 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

man that lick in that solo is hard to get down consistently every night!

Maybe I'll just record it and trigger it.

it doesn't sound as good when you put it in a different perspective.

i dont think your geting this...hes not pre recorded his parts or anything.... he doesnt hit a buton and let a machine do all the work does he (like pauls bliss sweep...which funnily enough were all ok with)

hes still playing the drums isnt he?

for all you know he could be hitting them LOUDER than his trigger sounds, scotts no slouch

Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:28 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Oh I get it, and I'm not calling scott out as a slouch.

it was just a tongue and cheek remark, no harm done.

Only problem I have with triggering is what's already been discussed, that it can be used as a crutch.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:41 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

I think what alot of people hate triggers for is that many drummer "cheat" by adjusting the sensitivity on some triggers to it's minimum. Thus creating a slightly easier bass drum technique when playing fast.

Alot of these shitty emo bands use them like this cos they can't drum properly. The worst thing is these small bands use them in tiny tiny venue's. There is no need for that.

In Scott's videos you can clearly see he's twatting the hell out of his drums, so he obviously sets the sensitivity very low.

Mike Portnoy, Chris Adler, Tim Yeung, Marco Minneman, Scott Travis... etc.

They all use them. :wink:

It's not cheating. :roll:

Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:28 am
King Of The Monsters

drumslut wrote:

Yes...Scott's are his.

And yeah...Peter couldn't hit them anymore....getting old sucks.

It depends on "how" do you get old...

Criss didnt took care of himself, so he was a real shame.

Image Image

Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

I think drummers who say drummers "cheat" through triggers are insecure about their own drumming and need something to bring down superior drummers.

It's true that there are tremendous musicians who don't have a need for triggers like Virgil or Dennis Chambers, but the style of playing is different. Virgil and Dennis don't need it because they're playing sort of fusiony typed music that requires a lot of dynamics, while metal drummers like Scott only need to be "loud".

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:34 am
God Of The Sun

If anyone takes a look at death metal or black metal, it's damn near impossible NOT to use triggers.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:15 am
Viking Kong

If anyone takes a look at death metal or black metal, it's damn near impossible NOT to use triggers.

That's because their drummers play so fast double-bass, that they can't hit the drum too hard.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:00 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

pgmpower wrote:

That's because their drummers play so fast double-bass, that they can't hit the drum too hard.

Duh :P ahahaa :wink:

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:00 pm
God Of The Sun

Sir Robin wrote:
pgmpower wrote:

:lol:

Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Search Button God!

pgmpower wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:
pgmpower wrote:

:lol:

Unless you're Mike Smith. But he's not human so that doesn't count ;)

Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:52 pm
Viking Kong

pgmpower wrote:

Fact, every profetional black metal drummer up here (and yes, I know loads) use triggers just because of that. So yeah, I can see why people would consider it as cheating, but I don't look at it that way! :)

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:09 pm
Site Admin

For all you who think...."he cheats", "he doesn't need to hit as hard to get the same sound".....etc....

Just fucking watch.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izvM6UMyFqg

CLICK WATCH IN HIGH QUALITY

Regards,
Ken

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
Ok.

For all you who think...."he cheats", "he doesn't need to hit as hard to get the same sound".....etc....

Just fucking watch.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izvM6UMyFqg

CLICK WATCH IN HIGH QUALITY

Thanks for that one! Is Scotttravis.net something coming up or do it alredy excist becuse i cant find it :/

Scott is the man!

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

I dont think Scotts drumming has been called into question this thread, just everyone else. lol

That video was sick by the way thaqnks

Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:06 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

The video actually has been private for a while.....I just made it public for you guys to watch.

Regards,
Ken

Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:14 am
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters

made me remember what a blast i had at the priest show!

Image Image

Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:44 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

awesome video!

made me remember what a blast i had at the priest show!

+1

I couldn't stop starring at Scott during the whole concert

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:11 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next