View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 DETOX EQ 
Racer X - Current Member

Post DETOX EQ
Hello!

I am proud to announce my first signature pedal, the DETOX EQ by H.B.E. (HomeBrew Electronics)

I've been using this pedal for the last few months and I am officially addicted to it.

Why an EQ? Here's a detailed answer:

I have always liked to get distortion by playing through a cranked-up tube amp.
I have always liked to get a clean sound by turning my guitar's volume knob down. This works really well with some guitars and not so well with others, depending on the pickups and electronics in the guitar. On my Spaceship One tour, my main guitar was an Ibanez Rocket Roll II (Flying V shaped) guitar with two humbuckers. This guitar sounds amazing when it's cranked up, but it doesn't get that sparkly clean sound like I can get from the pickups on a PGM (which has a single coil and a 5-way switch).

To solve this problem, I bought a Boss EQ pedal and used it to turn down the "muddy" frequencies as well as turning down the overall gain. The pedal became a virtual "clean channel" and was really useful for cleaning up my sound while performing live.

But the Boss EQ was hissy (even thought I wasn't boosting anything), and the frequencies weren't set as musically I would have liked.

Recently I have been using several pedals from H.B.E. and liked everything about them. So I contacted the people there to see if they would be interested in building the ultimate EQ pedal for me. And the DETOX EQ was born!

The DETOX EQ is noise-free and has very musically tuned EQ knobs. I used it to make subtle adjustments to my tone on the United States CD, and I've road tested it on my European tour. I love it!

(If you look at photos of my pedalboard, I'm still using my prototype which is a gray box with red tape on it. I got a new one from H.B.E. and let Craig Martini use it for his bass rig. That one is yellow. I'm going to switch to a new one when I get home!)

Anyway, whether you use the pedal to clean up, boost, or just tailor your tone, there is no EQ pedal that touches the DETOX in quality in tone. H.B.E. did an awesome job.

Check them out here: http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/signature.html

Thank you,

Paul

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:25 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I like noise-free pedals! Paul, is there a demo of you playing it anywhere?

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:37 am
Racer X - Current Member

I'm going to record some demos for the H.B.E. website when I get home. In the meantime, check out the song called "Bad Times Good" from the "United States" CD. This song has a bunch of cool clean tones that I got using the Detox EQ into a cranked-up Marshall amp.

Thank you,

Paul

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:59 am
Dr. X

Do you use the Detox EQ for your current lead tone, ala Curse of Castle Dragon solo or is that something else?

(any idea when these hit the streets?)

Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:22 am
Racer X - Current Member

My basic tone and distortion come from the Marshall Vintage Modern amp.

I use an H.B.E. Bajo Mos booster to drive the amp harder for solos.

I also use an H.B.E. CPR compressor for more sustain.

The Bajo Mos is very tight and accurate sounding. The CPR is looser and more organic. Sometimes I use them separately. Sometimes I turn them both on if I want heaps of distortion and sustain.

Lately I have also been using a Keeley Nova Wah for the solo on "Castle Dragon".

The Detox I use mainly as a virtual "clean channel". But it sounds really cool with the CPR compressor before it. With both those pedal "on", I can get lots of sustain, but with a clean sound and very little noise.

Thank you for being interested in the details!

Paul

Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:37 am
Superhero

I hear it Paul, Bad Times Good is nice and clean, I got the feeling you were using a different guitar, and I get shades of Jimmy Page when I listen to it! Very kuul and unique, it cleans up nicely!

Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:49 am
Superhero

sorry couldnt help myself.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:05 am
Dr. X

The Bajo Mos is very tight and accurate sounding. The CPR is looser and more organic. Sometimes I use them separately. Sometimes I turn them both on if I want heaps of distortion and sustain.

Lately I have also been using a Keeley Nova Wah for the solo on "Castle Dragon".

The Detox I use mainly as a virtual "clean channel". But it sounds really cool with the CPR compressor before it. With both those pedal "on", I can get lots of sustain, but with a clean sound and very little noise.

Paul

and thank YOU for playing the music!

Rock.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:10 am
Superhero

I'm always looking for an EQ. And I think you saved my problem.

Next up - OD :D I'm goin OCD, of course.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:18 am
Queen Dork of the board

That's really cute though.

(snippage)

If you want the official linky...
http://www.paulgilbert.com/DetoxEQ.html

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Last edited by flying-dino on Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:19 am
Superhero

I have always liked to get distortion by playing through a cranked-up tube amp."

As in not using an overdrive pedal? Meh! A little confused.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:27 am
God Of The Sun

The best distortion is the natural distortion from a really good amp.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:10 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Paul is right as usual. I think some guitars have a poor tone when lowering volume (at least for my taste). Also, in my opinion (and I agree with those who agree with me lol) amp´s distortion is great (I love my JMC900) but some guitars´ output is lower than desirable and bad players like me cry and say "OMG, no distortion!!!" (I don´t mean distortion = bad players of course, but lack of distortion makes more difficult to play some things, solos and so on). Then, we have to solve that tragic upset by adding some gadgets. In my case, after years of playing and becoming really lazy with effects, I decided to use only a Boss Super Overdrive to enhace distortion on solos or heavier parts.
This pedal would be the opposite side of what we ussually look for. Instead of distortion, you can get a cleaner tone, and I find great the idea of that pedal to get that clean tone that sometimes is so difficult to get or control.

I must confess what I did with my RG500 a lot of years ago (I can´t remember, maybe cause I´m getting old). It was a similar idea of what Paul makes with this pedal:
As a Brian May´s diehard fan I decided to install phase change switches on my guitar. I told the luthier about how to get a lower volume from the guitar without lowering the knob and he installed me a switch which made that function. You could select the volume you wanted to and when you needed you just had to switch it.
It worked as Paul´s new pedal and I must say it´s great to have something like that.
However, having that built-in effect caused trouble mainly on my mind cause I had 3 phase swithes, pick up´s selector, volume and tone knobs, and volume switch... Too many things for me! Also I had some noise trouble (so many wires!) so after a while I decided to release that incredible nighmare of wires and from my RG550 and leave it in its original form except the bridge pickup which had been replaced by a Di Marzio Brian May (that luthier destroyed it!!! :x )
After that, realizing what a blasphemy I had commited, I installed the former bridge picKup and a couple of years ago I installed a Di Marzio Tone Zone that sounds great and I bough a Brian May Red Special :D

To cut it short I´ll say that that pedal idea is great cause it must give a natural tone only by clicking it.

I hope I hadn´t go too offtopic :?

:)

Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:14 am
God Of The Sun

wow, cool I always wanted a parametric EQ

Last edited by Volkan on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:48 pm
God Of The Sun

Damn... I really want to listen to the cd (5 days to go) and see if I notice the difference!!

Paul is getting huge, good for him!

Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

Paul

Does this mean the Fulltone OCD is now off your pedalboard? If so could you please say why you prefer the Bajo Mos booster

Thanks!!

PGM301
Laney GH100L > Orange 2x12

Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:05 pm
Viking Kong

Does this mean the Fulltone OCD is now off your pedalboard? If so could you please say why you prefer the Bajo Mos booster

Thanks!!

Look at the pics of his board from this month http://racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=11600&start=320

The OCD is not there. Even if Paul isn't currently using it the OCD still is a great pedal.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:36 pm
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
sharpant wrote:

Thanks!!

The OCD is not there. Even if Paul isn't currently using it the OCD still is a great pedal.

amen to that...i love mine!

Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:40 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

Hehe i know the fulltone OCD is an amazing pedal. In my opinion maybe the best overdrive on the market, but there has to be a reason for Pauls change, and i for one would love to hear it

PGM301
Laney GH100L > Orange 2x12

Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:59 am
Promises to use Search button

the OCD is absolutely killer but from the last pedalboard photos it looks like PG is using just the amp distortion with lots of boost (Baja) or cut (detox).

There was a 100 watt Randy Rhoads stack and a small box Marshall that looked like a 20 watt lead and bass in the sbfadr dvd. Could be this amp

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.ph ... goryID=295

or this at 1/4 the price (no headshell)

http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPage ... d&Bass.htm

Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next