View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Scarified 
Viking Kong

Post Scarified
1988: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isFPCMAcPZM
2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ikU5byDF8M&NR=1

Thoughts?

Good things about 1988:

(-clothes
-hair)
-5/5 racer X (honestly scott's the best, sorry jeff bowders, and I reckon I also prefer Juan)
-The fastest Scarified tempo I've ever heard, my adrenaline is pumping
-When I listen to second heat, I hear loud, powerful drums and bass (when I listen to our audio bootleg of 2007 posted somewhere on the board, the bass isn't loud at all, and doesn't really take part in the song, while it is to me one of the most important parts of scarified: the contrast between the huge bass playing loud powerful notes repeatedly and the guitars playing the high pitched blazing melody)

Good things about 2007:
-The guitar distortions and their sound quality
-The solos (maybe that video isn't the best example) are usually nicer, not entirely focused on shred (although I love shred, I like it to be melodic, the solos of 1988 sound like Paul and Bruce are on a quest to play as many notes as they can, regardless of what the solos sound like)

A final note on the solos: I think the solos on the studio version of scarified are the best, although I find 2007's live solos to be a little better than the 80's live solos, the original solos are still unmatched, and I much prefer the way the solos begin on the studio version than on the live versions of 2007... in 2007 Paul always begins his scarified solo by this same melody that starts with some note sustained a long while... everytime he does that I feel like he is slowing down the song, I'd prefer it if he found a more energetic way of beginning his solos.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:33 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Studio version > 2007 Live > 1988 Live
I slightly prefer Paul's 2007 solo over his 1988 one, and Bruce's 1988 solo over his 2007 one, so it's balanced. I also prefer the general tone of the 2007 version. However, I don't really like the new ending that lasts forever after the string skipping.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:15 pm
God Of The Sun

i have been inspired by this and just learnt the whole song again! cheers acid

Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

You hear powerful bass on Second Heat? I thought the bass was a bit subdued on the recording.

I prefer Paul Gilbert's tone in the 1980s. It was perfect for metal--wouldn't say it was perfect for rock, pop, or whatever you'd consider his solo material. I like how Gilbert has a well-rounded tone for all types of music, but I still think nothing beats that '80s tone for metal and speed-picking.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:25 pm
King Of The Monsters

The tone Paul had on the 80´s was not metal...was SHRED.

METAL tone was the one he used on TD or SUperheroes.

Oh!; and, for me, RACER X did the best with the 5 piece line-up. Nothing "solo" playing the songs of the band will sound like Racer X.

Image Image

Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters

so racer x only id one real album?

What I´m saying is:

When RX was a 5 piece, the songs from Second Heat sounded awesome, and even the songs from Street Lethal gained a lot with Bruce shredding on them.

Then, when the band reunited, sadly it couldn´t be with the 5 piece, but that didn´t prevented the band to make some serious albums. Both Technical Difficulties and Superheroes are enormous pieces of heavy metal and shredding.

But that doesn´t change the fact that I preffer Racer X as a 5 piece band.

On the present, it´s just impossible, and I´m blown away on how the band can "replace" a guitar player just by adding edge to the bass (Alderete does a superb work) and by having the best guitar player in the world, Paul Gilbert, playing like a madman.

The classic line up always will have a "romantic" kind of vibe to it that can´t be matched.

Image Image

Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

You hear powerful bass on Second Heat? I thought the bass was a bit subdued on the recording.

I prefer Paul Gilbert's tone in the 1980s. It was perfect for metal--wouldn't say it was perfect for rock, pop, or whatever you'd consider his solo material. I like how Gilbert has a well-rounded tone for all types of music, but I still think nothing beats that '80s tone for metal and speed-picking.

well, if you've downloaded our G3 audio bootleg of 2007 and compare, I'm much happier with the bass in second heat, I can clearly hear it during the main melody, it's agressive. Among all the scarified versions I 've heard (Snowball of doom 1-2, G3 Bootleg...), the original one has still got my favorite bass and drums (even the drums are godlike, they sound like Scott is in some cathedral).

For the guitar tone, I actually think my favorite is the one used on TD Superheroes, and GH. The old 80's tone is to me too 'thin'...

For example, I'm sure the intro of Viking Kong wouldn't have sounded so huge if it had been played with the old tone...

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:23 am
Superhero

Personally I think I think Scarified sounds an absolute mess on second heat compared to how clear the twin guitar parts were on Technical Difficulties. Particuarlly the very end which sounds just like mush :(

They should re-record it. Even Paul admits his early Racer X tone means its difficult to hear what was going on regarding 'Street Lethal'. Let alone two guitars with a similar tone.

Best version = Snowball of Doom.

Best Solo = Spaceship Live

Oh, and Superheros has absolutely immense tone throughout that whole album.

If Racer X were to rerecord both their first albums to modern standards... they would be amazing. Now they sounds badly recorded and they suffer for it.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:29 am
Viking Kong

Nah man, SL and SH sounds EXACTLY how 80's heavy metal should sound! Yes, the reverb makes the guitars drown, but that's just metal straight in your face! :twisted: :twisted:

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:53 pm
Dr. X

Just watched them both again----never get sick of them!------I have to say I still love the 1988 version the best! 8)

Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:37 pm
God Of The Sun

Closely followed by the Snowball of Doom version!

Paul

Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]