View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Proof that Total Guitar doesn't know their shit 
Viking Kong

Post Proof that Total Guitar doesn't know their shit
I rarely buy guitar mags, and if I buy them, they're either Guitar Techniques or other mags with Paul or Randy in them. I love reading about these guys.

But, in 2 TG mags, I've read that "Bruce Bouillet helped give Street Lethal it's dual lead sound." And they portrait Street Lethal as RX's greatest album, but to me it seems like they've never even heard it themselves for their entire lives :roll:

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:53 am
Superhero

Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:33 am
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)

Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:44 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

I think thats unfair. Yep those are two mistakes but this issue it couldn't bend over backwards enough to make out that PG is the greatest guitarist ever.

For example, towards the end of the magazine in an interview with Satriani, they put a story about Satriani and Petrucci looking inside PGs dressing room for rehersal and being terrified, under the subtitle "learn from your superiors". :D

Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:22 pm
God Of The Sun

its easy to say someones good...look...avril is amazing...doesnt make it so...

an they published one of satrianis anicdotes.... so what. thats what satch thought. not what tg thought. they just published it.

saying someones great doesnt mean shit, a true sign of respect is knowing a LITTLE bit about the artist in question...especially if your publishing it and you claim to be the BIGGEST mag in europe...

in the shred issue a few years back they said..."scaloping your fretboard WILL make you play faster" clearly theyre morons....

Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters

If they put PG on the magazine, and give him pages and reviews, then I consider myself a fan of the mag, :lol:

BTW, I also consider Street Lethal to be Racer X´s best album, tied with Superheroes.

Image Image

Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

It happens. Even in Guitar Techniques. Even in Shaun Baxter's column, which a few years ago, in the Guitar Gym series, recommended listening to PG on the Mr. Big debut to hear top-class sweeping, a technique not featured on that recording at all. I suspect the CD boxout was written by someone other than Shaun – watch them blame an intern!

Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:06 pm
God Of The Sun

Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

In one episode of TG i have, it has an article on tapping, and under recommended listening for Van Halen, it had 'Diver Down' arguably the WORST DLR era van halen record.

I dont really have a grudge against them though, its not as if the majority of guitarists in the UK are Paul fans or anything, and they need to cater to what the majority of guitarists like. (all that indie and emo tripe)

Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:51 pm
Viking Kong

If they put PG on the magazine, and give him pages and reviews, then I consider myself a fan of the mag, :lol:

BTW, I also consider Street Lethal to be Racer X´s best album, tied with Superheroes.

+1

Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:21 am
Viking Kong

I'm happy that they gave Racer X and Bruce Bouillet a plug. Too bad they couldn't do it properly--and in the right order. :lol: I bet the chief editor is sitting there at his desk, reading through this stuff and thinking to himself, Racer X? Bruce who? Whatever--sounds good. Let's go with it. Next issue, though, we're doing a cover story on Jimmy Hendrix. :wink:

Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:02 am
Dr. X

Post Re:
Nitefly wrote:
For example, towards the end of the magazine in an interview with Satriani, they put a story about Satriani and Petrucci looking inside PGs dressing room for rehersal and being terrified, under the subtitle "learn from your superiors". :D

Sorry for reviving the thread, but does anyone have this full Satriani story? Or a link, or scan or something...
Please PM me if so ;)

Time to rock!! \m/

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Post Re:
Ryan wrote:
I'm happy that they gave Racer X and Bruce Bouillet a plug. Too bad they couldn't do it properly--and in the right order. :lol: I bet the chief editor is sitting there at his desk, reading through this stuff and thinking to himself, Racer X? Bruce who? Whatever--sounds good. Let's go with it. Next issue, though, we're doing a cover story on Jimmy Hendrix. :wink:

Apparently, the chief editor doesn't know his shit if he can't spelled Jimi Hendrix's name right.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:27 pm
Godzilla

Post Re: Proof that Total Guitar doesn't know their shit
Yeah, but they also have quite a lot of good stuff. I would never have found out about Freshman guitars if it wasn't for them, and I wouldn't have gone out and tried and bought the Freshman OC2 which I love. They also have had LOADS of lessons from Paul, or interviews with the likes of Paul or Zakk, hell they've been running a series of lessons from Bonamassa recently. If you pick out the bits that are worthwhile it's quite good I find, and their reviews of gear, as long as read with a critical eye, are fairly good too.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:13 am
God Of The Sun

or you could buy GT magazine...

Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

MissMisstreater wrote:
or you could buy GT magazine...

+1 GT is the only mag I buy, if I buy one. The guys that contribute are legends, is my favourite!!

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:36 am
God Of The Sun

I subscribe, and get 40% off,

about £3 an issue - bargain

Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]