View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Live Extreme Volume MP-1 tone, pickups, guitars.. who knows? 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post Live Extreme Volume MP-1 tone, pickups, guitars.. who knows?
Hey guys,

I'm trying to nail the tone that Paul and Bruce were able to get on their solo passages and instrumental stuff like "Scit Scat Wah" on Live Extreme Volume 1. I have an original MP-1 and am running that into a Mesa Boogie 20/20 power amp and a Mesa Recto Vertical 2x12 cab with Celestion V30 speakers. I've been to ADADepot and the presets for Paul's stuff there don't sound anything like his tone in the Racer X days. I've tried a couple different guitars with different pickup setup to get closer to PG's tone, but haven't really gotten anything I am real happy with. Here are the guitars I've tried.

Ibanez USRG30 (alder body, maple cap) - Tone Zone bridge, PAF Pro neck
Ibanez S540 LTD ( mahogany body ) - IBZ/USA F1 neck, IBZ/USA C1 middle, IBZ/USA F2 bridge
Fender HM Strat (basswood body) - Tone Zone bridge, HS-3 middle, PAF Pro neck

I have a slew of other pickups I plan on installing into these guitars.. most likely keeping the bridge TZ in the USRG30, but going for an Air Norton in the neck. I'm still trying to decide on what goes where in the other guitars.

I know that PG used a Seymour Duncan mini-HB in some of his old guitars during those days. Anyone know which one he used, or if it was used on "Scit Scat Wah"? Anyone have info on which of the 3 mini-HB's that Seymour makes is closest to what he used?

Anyone know which Ibanez's PG and Bruce were using on LEV?

Thanks for any help,
Jeff

Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:36 pm
King Of The Monsters

But good luck, hope you can get the sound..."and the fingers" :lol:

Image Image

Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

PG ADA MP1 patch from ADA "TRENDZ" :
gains7
vol 8
bass 2
mid 0
treb -2
pres 2
no onboard ADA CHORUS USED
NB bridge pu probably a super dist wired in paralell
neck a "seymourized" mini hb
ibanez's were custom RG or Explorer style with Kahler std or floyd style..
rack also had BBE sonic maximizer, midiverb, hush..
and yes it's all in the fingers dude!

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:31 pm
Dr. X

I'll offer what I remember Bruce's rig was like back then. Paul and Bruce has basically identical gear.

First off, don't let yourself get carried away with the mini's. It's not like their tone was as elusive as EVH's. :wink: Paul had slapped a Seymour Duncan mini in the neck position, and could use it as a high F# while doing his solo. Long story short, Both Epiphone's were made identical, and Bruce had a mini in his orange epiphone as well.

They never used a mini in the bridge position.

They both had standard size humbuckers in the bridge position, and I'd say they were Duncan's, as that's what they were using at the time. The models were standard gain, probably JB's or Distortion's.

What they did that was somewhat unique, was that they wired their pickups in parallel, NOT in series as is the standard wiring. This was to clean up the tone a tad while using the gain they had using in their rigs. Also keep in mind, they DO NOT do that anymore, so don't go nuts over it. You're really going out of your way, to do something somewhat insignificant nowadays.

They went straight into an ADA MP-1 (switched with an MC-1 midi controller), through an ADA MQ-1 (midi EQ), a rackmount delay (I think an Alesis Midiverb) a Hush, and into an AMPEG amplifier (ran clean). The AMPEG's had graphic EQ's on them, so they could dial in nice low end through the cabs. The AMPEG's sounded great clean. Pumping the MP-1 preamp through them would help give the tone they had.

Looking back on it then, even though they ran many many cabinets, and the stage setup looking elaborate, the tones they got were simple in design. They sounded great, not because of the simple tone, but because they f*ckin' had amazing talent, and were incredibly clean pickers.

Don't forget they would have sounded great on any rig. :wink:

John

Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:52 am
Golden God

I'll offer what I remember Bruce's rig was like back then. Paul and Bruce has basically identical gear.

First off, don't let yourself get carried away with the mini's. It's not like their tone was as elusive as EVH's. :wink: Paul had slapped a Seymour Duncan mini in the neck position, and could use it as a high F# while doing his solo. Long story short, Both Epiphone's were made identical, and Bruce had a mini in his orange epiphone as well.

They both had humbuckers in the bridge position, and I'd say they were Duncan's, as that's what they were using at the time. The models were standard gain, probably JB's or Distortion's.

What they did that was somewhat unique, was that they wired their pickups in parallel, NOT in series as is the standard wiring. This was to clean up the tone a tad while using the gain they had using in their rigs. Also keep in mind, they DO NOT do that anymore, so don't go nuts over it. You're really going out of your way, to do something somewhat insignificant nowadays.

They went straight into an ADA MP-1 (switched with an MC-1 midi controller), through an ADA MQ-1 (midi EQ), a rackmount delay (I think an Alesis Midiverb) a Hush, and into an AMPEG amplifier (ran clean). The AMPEG's had graphic EQ's on them, so they could dial in nice low end through the cabs. The AMPEG's sounded great clean. Pumping the MP-1 preamp through them would help give the tone they had.

Looking back on it then, even though they ran many many cabinets, and the stage setup looking elaborate, the tones they got were simple in design. They sounded great, not because of the simple tone, but because they f*ckin' had amazing talent, and were incredibly clean pickers.

John

Priceless, John. Fuhquin Awesome!!!

Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:09 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

JJGray wrote:

They both had humbuckers in the bridge position, and I'd say they were Duncan's, as that's what they were using at the time. The models were standard gain, probably JB's or Distortion's.

John

I SECOND THAT SEAN!!

Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:09 am
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters

stringskipper wrote:
JJGray wrote:

John

I SECOND THAT SEAN!!

Another one...
COOL INFO!

Image Image

Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:54 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Sean, Josh, and Guitarp77, thanks guys. It's nothin'.

But I can't believe I left out one thing in my last post:

On one of Paul's guitars, he actually put duct tape over his bridge pickup to help shield it from outside noise. When I'd see them play live, I always wondered wtf that was. Then I read once he said the pickup in question was too noisy, so he tried to shield it with duct tape.

There may be a picture or two floating around the web with that guitar. If you ever see something strangely silver over his bridge pickup, that's it.

Based on my experience, these measures are only necessary on strats with single coil pickups, and aren't necessary with humbuckers. The only time you should ever experience noise out of the ordinary from a humbucking guitar, is if you have a bad solder connection, or a ground loop problem.

Go figure.

John

Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:20 am
Superhero

MY BC RICH that was pauls, used to have this tape on it, and when i got it it had a JB bridge pu.
also saw the original epi with tape on, and the ibanez copy! see:

http://www.paulgilbert.com/RacerXDrill.jpg

i thought it was a visual thing!
rock!

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:52 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Hey Muttley... thanks for posting this, but this is the preset I was referring to when I talked about ADADepot. It is post-RX and pre-Mr. Big and it really sounds pretty weak from what I recall. Not really the in your face tone I was looking for. But thanks anyway.

I didn't realize they used BBE stuff. Thanks for the tip... I have one of those as well that just sits in my rack and has never been turned on. One of these days I throw it in the chain and see what it sounds like. I bought it mostly because I heard it could really bring a Line 6 pod to life. Now that I have a 13 week old daughter in the house... it's tough to play at even bedroom levels. Nice to have decent tone even when you play through headphones. Oh well... pretty soon she'll be shreddin with her dad... or teaching her dad HOW. :)

Later,
Jeff

FASTER MUTTLEY! wrote:
ok
PG ADA MP1 patch from ADA "TRENDZ" :
gains7
vol 8
bass 2
mid 0
treb -2
pres 2
no onboard ADA CHORUS USED
NB bridge pu probably a super dist wired in paralell
neck a "seymourized" mini hb
ibanez's were custom RG or Explorer style with Kahler std or floyd style..
rack also had BBE sonic maximizer, midiverb, hush..
and yes it's all in the fingers dude!

Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:01 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Good Lord, man! Thanks for the in depth info. I guess my biggest hangup with figuring out which mini-HB they stuck in the neck was to try to find a modern day DiMarzio or something that had a similar tone curve. I have the MP-1 (as well as a TriAxis and a GSP2101), so I have decent preamps. I think I have decent guitars as well... need to have some setup work done on them, but they are pretty good. So besides a generous portion of talent that needs to be injected into my fingers, it seems that I have decent enough gear and was just missing some specifics (and a 50 gallon drum of talent). I need to go back and watch Bruce's video again... I THOUGHT I was able to see how he had his GEQ setup... but now that I recall it seems like there were several bands I couldn't see in terms of cut or boost. Interesting to know that those Ampeg amps had an additional EQ on them.

Anyway, thanks a million for the info. I'm still trying to figure out which of the 6 new pickups I have will be going in which guitar. Only been trying to figure that out for 8 months now. :(

Thanks again!

Shred til yer dead,
Jeff

JJGray wrote:

John

Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:07 am
Superhero

the AMPEGS used in his MR BIG early rack were:

3 x SVT II, with a 6 band graphic set flat (!) except for the far right one which was dipped below!
they are BASS amps i think ???

talking of gear, i have a video of just before "2nd heat" came out, and paul is using a modified (?) old marshall head and a boost pedal (with my pink BC RICH!) and still sounds killer! bruce has a white plexi head too...
they could use a Gorilla amp and sound the same!
good luck

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:20 am
is the Siren's Eye

Post The Bridge Pickups...
Were Seymour Duncan Distortion, wired in parallel for a little more Treble. The tape that was used over the Duncan was Aluminum tape, used to reduce feedback. Paul was here in Buffalo, (during a break from the first Mr. Big album, doing his laundry with Eric martin) on their way to the Penny Arcade show in Rochester NY.

I was lucky enough to have a friend working at the Pub that they stopped in for lunch. Well, she called me, and I shot over there like a bolt of lightining. I asked about his rig and his set-up with Mr.Big and Racer X.

At that point he was still using the the ADA and Ampeg set-up. But he told me that he had another Rig being built for him, as the MP-1/ Ampeg Rig wasn't ideal for Mr.Big. The new Rig would include a Lee Jackson Metaltronix head, and he was still going to use the MP-1 for clean sounds and the Chorus.

The Tone Zone pick-up deal came through with the help of Billy, because he was a long time endorser of DiMarzio pickups. You gotta remember that PG's sound is quite different from Racer X and Mr. Big. Alot of that was the pickup change. Paul told me that his distortion(gain), and tone settings with Mr. Big are quite a bit different than with Racer X.

"Almost AC/DC like", was the term that he used, when describing his Mr. Big sound to me. The Tone Zone pickups are a cleaner pickup with a smoother tone than the Duncans. This enabled PG to get that AC/DC type of tone. From what I can tell, the Tone Zone pickups are alot like the old PAF's, with a little more push in the mid range. When I compared them to the pickups in my EVH Wolfgang, they sounded very close, as far as clarity goes. If I had to choose between the 2, I'd pick the the ones in the EVH. But I do prefer the Tone Zone over the Duncan.

Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:20 pm
is the Siren's Eye

Were Seymour Duncan Distortion, wired in parallel for a little more Treble. The tape that was used over the Duncan was Aluminum tape, used to reduce feedback. Paul was here in Buffalo, (during a break from the first Mr. Big album, doing his laundry with Eric martin) on their way to the Penny Arcade show in Rochester NY.

I was lucky enough to have a friend working at the Pub that they stopped in for lunch. Well, she called me, and I shot over there like a bolt of lightining. I asked about his rig and his set-up with Mr.Big and Racer X.

At that point he was still using the the ADA and Ampeg set-up. But he told me that he had another Rig being built for him, as the MP-1/ Ampeg Rig wasn't ideal for Mr.Big. The new Rig would include a Lee Jackson Metaltronix head, and he was still going to use the MP-1 for clean sounds and the Chorus.

The Tone Zone pick-up deal came through with the help of Billy, because he was a long time endorser of DiMarzio pickups. You gotta remember that PG's sound is quite different from Racer X and Mr. Big. Alot of that was the pickup change. Paul told me that his distortion(gain), and tone settings with Mr. Big are quite a bit different than with Racer X.

"Almost AC/DC like", was the term that he used, when describing his Mr. Big sound to me. The Tone Zone pickups are a cleaner pickup with a smoother tone than the Duncans. This enabled PG to get that AC/DC type of tone. From what I can tell, the Tone Zone pickups are alot like the old PAF's, with a little more push in the mid range. When I compared them to the pickups in my EVH Wolfgang, they sounded very close, as far as clarity goes. If I had to choose between the 2, I'd pick the the ones in the EVH. But I do prefer the Tone Zone over the Duncan.

Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:21 pm
is the Siren's Eye

I was lucky enough to have a friend working at the Pub that they stopped in for lunch. Well, she called me, and I shot over there like a bolt of lightining. I asked about his rig with Mr.Big and Racer X.

Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:25 pm
is the Siren's Eye

I was lucky enough to have a friend working at the Pub that they stopped in for lunch. Well, she called me, and I shot over there like a bolt of lightining. I asked about his rig with Mr.Big and Racer X.

Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]