View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 2nd lead guitarist anyone? 
Viking Kong

It was great to hear Bruce Bouillet and Paul Gilbert playing those classic Racer X tunes at G3. Perhaps this will lead us to another studio album featuring the two.

ßrono wrote:
Quote:
The only other double-lead act that I ever saw that even came CLOSE to Racer-X was Jason Becker and Marty Freidman in Cacophony

close? jason and marty surpassed them.

In what aspect?

Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:23 am
is evil...Evil Joe

I think that they are an equal duo tbh. I mean the two main masters are at opposite poles. Paul cant sweep great and becker says he cant pick at all, which although i cant equate myself with either maestro on a technique level-id say is pretty much true. If you look at Pauls sheer speed and flawless picking technique then beckers insane sweeps and lick ideas-they both pretty much set the bar as far as their speciality goes. So thats my opinion, take it or leave it and sorry for using the word 'technique' so much. :wink:

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:24 pm
God Of The Sun

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=13757220

The #1 Queensryche Source

Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:47 pm
Tab Master

Paul cant sweep great and becker says he cant pick at all.../...id say is pretty much true.

How very wrong you are. :wink:

Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:36 am
is evil...Evil Joe

no, i read in the guitar world interview(or guitarone) that becker had began to syphon speed picking out of his picking and paul always says he finds it difficult on vids etc. but i could b wrong 8)

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:34 pm
Tab Master

Whatever, they're just being modest. If you haven't seen any 80's Paul Gilbertguitar clinics or Jason Becker's Hot Licks DVD, then you have no idea.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:07 pm
Motorman

they both have their specialties, but scarified is proof enough that pauls a pretty damn good sweeper (hint: not all those arpeggios are string-skipped) and you can bet jason was no slouch at alt picking..

just 2 very, very modest guys.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:24 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

yea iown the hot licks dvd and im pretty sure that bruce bouillet played the sweeps. Besides no matter if they were being honest, my point was they both have their own specialities, which in my poinion levels the playing field making them equal. Dont get defensive its a point of view.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:57 am
Tab Master

If you own his Hot Licks DVD, then you should have seen that "Fast Country Picking" thing, which is NOT sloppy at all. Probably one of the craziest pickign things I've seen Jason do.

And I'm not talking about Bruce, I said Paul. Listen to the Gone Too solo after the harmonised 6 notes per beat picking bit. The bit where everything cuts out, Paul plays a 6 string Emaj7 sweep with position shifts.

Not to mention the Motorman intro, Scarified interlude, the Yngwie style Amin sweeps he did in YRO & Frenzy plus all of his solos on the Joey Tafolla album.

Paul can sweep WELL.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:31 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

ok -heres a disclaimer. PAUL can sweep better than me JASON can pick better than me. BUT Paul is a better picker than jason, jason sweeps better than paul. Im not denying their awesome technique, they can can sweep well and pick well of course they can. But they specialize. You have turned a debate into an argument.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:44 pm
Tab Master

Yes, I agree 100% with most of that post.

BUT the thing that YOU said was:

Quote:
Paul cant sweep great and becker says he cant pick at all.../...id say is pretty much true.

You actually said Paul can't sweep great and all I was doing was trying to prove to you that he actually can. Same with JB and alternate picking.

I think they're both pretty consistent with most techniques.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:16 pm
Dr. X

but do you think that Paul can STILL sweep great (apart from that classic sweep lick he does very often and that he demonstrated in "guitar from mars")?
i mean it's undeniable when you see all those old vids but i think he hasnt used or practiced sweep-picking in a while so i'm wondering if he'd still be able to do all those crazy sweeps he did in the 80's :?:

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:30 pm
Viking Kong

Paul has never been better than he is now. My guess is that he'd spend one day to make those sweeps perfect again. Guitarists are guitarists. Paul is Paul. What sets Paul apart from everyone else today is the fact that he is the best. Fact.

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:37 pm
Tab Master

but do you think that Paul can STILL sweep great (apart from that classic sweep lick he does very often and that he demonstrated in "guitar from mars")?
i mean it's undeniable when you see all those old vids but i think he hasnt used or practiced sweep-picking in a while so i'm wondering if he'd still be able to do all those crazy sweeps he did in the 80's :?:

Of course he can. Listen to Full Tank from GOOMY and he does fast Cmaj sweeps. He also showed them on a GT DVD recently.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:49 pm
Dr. X

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:20 am
Tab Master

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:13 am
Dr. X

is it up on the internet or youtube then?

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:30 am
Tab Master

Used to be I think, dno what the file was called though.

It was on the same DVD that the GOOMY demonstration was on.

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:29 pm
Godzilla

http://video.google.es/videoplay?docid= ... &plindex=5
If you want to watch through that one, he shows the sweep he does.

Comparing the sweeps Paul used to do, like the "musical sounding" sweep from the anaeheim clinic/intense rock/other, and now, i'd say that either his sweeping has gotten worse or he just doesn't want to use it.

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5