View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Drum Recording - triggers or mics? 
Motorman

Post Drum Recording - triggers or mics?
hi people, I need help of ya drummers. I'm recording a demo with my band soon and we need to get either drum mics or drum triggers for recording. The thing is, we don't have a really good mix board so we wouldn't be able to do things like compressing the bass drum with mics and that kinda things, but with drum triggers it would certainly sound better. Are Triggers good enough to make the drummer feel like he's actually playing a real drumset?

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:33 am
Tab Master

Well you can change the sounds when you're using triggers. You could stick one on a chair and have the sound set to an elephant, so when someone sits on the chair, the elephant sound will go off.

If you don't have the time, knowledge or money to experiment with mics, then triggers would be the best way imo.

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:39 pm
Godzilla

triggers will most definitely give you the most consistently powerful sound for your drums. Basically ever band out there uses triggers on their bass pedal so that if they even barely knick the drum head, a thunderous sound erupts. I suggest that if you are doing anything with tricky double bass, at least trigger the bass drum.

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:05 pm
Motorman

it would be too much money triggering just the bass drums I think... we'll try adding a guitar compressor to a drum mic as a test and if we manage to get a powerful sound we may choose mics, but do triggers have any kind of dinamics?

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:46 pm
Viking Kong

the only dynamics SOME triggers have is velocity... triggers are good for making a shitty kit sound good and/or getting a good signal onto tape/disc... On the other hand even with crappy mics if you know how/where to mic each drum you can get a good sounding kit onto tape... PERSONALLY, I prefer mics...

Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:45 am
Motorman

definitively we're gonna try it with mics, since we found a way of compressing the bass drum, any tips for mic position for snare and bass drum?

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:12 am
Viking Kong

definitively we're gonna try it with mics, since we found a way of compressing the bass drum, any tips for mic position for snare and bass drum?

I like to use two mics on each... for the snare (condensor mics are best)one on the top head pointed at the most frequent point of impact, and one on the bottom positioned as close to the center as possible... for the kick i like to put one inside to capture the BOOM of the kick and one on the outside/front of the head just next to the sound hole to capture more of the ambience of the kick...

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:14 am
Motorman

on the bottom of the snare? under the snare? well I'll try different postions, never tried a condenser on the snare either... thanks for the tips man, I'll try those things and maybe post some clips when the drum tracks are recorded (not soon actually n_nU)

Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:27 am
Godzilla

id be more inclined to try an sm57 on the snare. infact, if u have the channels and mics, put a 57 on the toms too. the proximity effect will give you a nice boost in the bottom end. snaretop and bottom mics are a good idea, its just best to move them arounds till you find the sweet spot.

just out of curiosity:
what mics do you have access to? and whats the room like that you are recording in? what are you tracking, with and how many channels?

sorry, im a sound nerd.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:43 pm
Motorman

we'd like to use 10 channels for the drums, we're gonna buy a bunch of mics now with some money we've saved. We'll get Sm57 for snare, but we'll only get one, we want to get also a roland 614 (i think it was roland) for all the cymbals. We'll use Akg D-112 for the bass drum. For the toms we'll use our old stagg mics, they suck, but we don't have more money xD.
We are recording in a room we have for practicing with is absolutely dry of reverb, so we'll add all the reverb digitally.
I never thought about using a mic under the snare, but I'll try if I have enough channels.

By the way, I'm a sound nerd too XD, I should've studied something related XDD.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:43 pm
Godzilla

d112's are great kick mics, i love them. not too sure on the roland 614, do u mean sennheiser? the specs look pretty good on it, but i presonally hate mono overheads.

just a suggestion. if you had planned to spend a bit of money on bying mics for this recording, it might instead be worth hiring some mics for a day or too. not sure what prices are like in your area, but i know i can hire an sm57 for $10 a day here. i had planned to do the same thing with my band, but we have just been too busy atm.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:37 am
Motorman

yeah it was sennheiser I made a mistake. There aren't many places here to hire microphones, but we want to experiment a lot of things and in the end we'll most likely spend the same amount of money, if we buy the mics we could also record when we want and record other bands so we'll buy them.
What do you think about the 614? of course we'll get 2 of those.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:41 am
God Of The Sun

Another suggestion is to record the drums live, then you can always use the recorded audio to trigger later. This way you can always go back to the real drum sounds if the triggered sound blows.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:19 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

yeah it was sennheiser I made a mistake. There aren't many places here to hire microphones, but we want to experiment a lot of things and in the end we'll most likely spend the same amount of money, if we buy the mics we could also record when we want and record other bands so we'll buy them.
What do you think about the 614? of course we'll get 2 of those.

i havent used them, but the other sennheiser evolution mics ive tried are pretty good. best bet would be to try them out before u buy them, maybe put them against an akg ck91 and a behringer c1 (i think the are the small diaphram condensers...) and see what u think. i love ck91's, but the arent the cheapest mic.

if you have the oppertunaty, check out the audio technica AT2020/AT2021 package. the AT2021's are small diaphram condensers also, and for the price i really like them. i think they are only packaged with the AT2020's tho (a large diaphram condenser that sounds awesome also for its price range), but in total comes to something like $300 australian. deffinalty worth the money, and i think is about the same price as a 614.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:04 pm
Motorman

ok man, Ill check out those mics too, thanks for ur help :D

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]