View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Surgical Steel? 
is O.H.B.

Post More Surgical Steel Memories
It’s nice to have someone to “second” my ramblings.

That’s SO FUNNY to hear that the Marshall wall was for show!!! I remember the “big show” at the Metrocenter ice rink -- it was more expensive than usual and my girlfriends and I were bitching at the door about the price. The woman at the door said we could skate for free (can you believe that people would?) We took the skates anyhow, because they made you like 2” taller, so we could see the band better. So we’re walking around in these rubber green skates. Jeez, that kills me.

I LOVED the Schoolboys, I used to have a cassette kicking around when they were on that local Arizona rock radio show. But it’s long gone, and I was really bummed the first Icon release didn’t contain my favorite song (something like “Schoolboy Dreamer”).

The local arcade – are you talking about “Starship Enterprise”? I saw Fred there when he was in Head First, but I don't recall the name of the next band he was in. Was that Knight Riot (sorry, memory is not what it used to be)? The first time I saw Fred Robinson I was soooooo ga-ga over him.

We used to crack up at the poses too – especially the lineups that the guitarists did towards the end of the songs…holy shit. :!:

So you were in a band too – which one?
:o

Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:32 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Post Re: More Surgical Steel Memories
heatherette wrote:
It’s nice to have someone to “second” my ramblings.

That’s SO FUNNY to hear that the Marshall wall was for show!!! I remember the “big show” at the Metrocenter ice rink -- it was more expensive than usual and my girlfriends and I were bitching at the door about the price. The woman at the door said we could skate for free (can you believe that people would?) We took the skates anyhow, because they made you like 2” taller, so we could see the band better. So we’re walking around in these rubber green skates. Jeez, that kills me.

I LOVED the Schoolboys, I used to have a cassette kicking around when they were on that local Arizona rock radio show. But it’s long gone, and I was really bummed the first Icon release didn’t contain my favorite song (something like “Schoolboy Dreamer”).

The local arcade – are you talking about “Starship Enterprise”? I saw Fred there when he was in Head First, but I don't recall the name of the next band he was in. Was that Knight Riot (sorry, memory is not what it used to be)? The first time I saw Fred Robinson I was soooooo ga-ga over him.

We used to crack up at the poses too – especially the lineups that the guitarists did towards the end of the songs…holy shit. :!:

So you were in a band too – which one?
:o

I never did get a hold of the Schoolboys cassette demo, but I do have the KDKB Arizona Sounds album with one of my favorite Schoolboys songs (although more pop than metal) "Dagger And A Kiss" - very cool and it was the Icon lineup that recorded the song.

Yes, Fred Robinson was in Head First (we went to school together at Cortez High) and then joined Knight Riot which also featured Jim McMillen on guitar as well (Jim was considered THE best guitarist in Arizona and possibly the whole South West). And it was the Starship Enterprise arcade - thanks for reminding me of the name, I had been trying to remember the place!

Yes, I was in a couple of bands, but we never really got going because high school ended and everyone went their separate ways. My first band was actually Mad Racket (where I take my nic from) and my second band was Genghis Kahn - we actually opened a Surgical Steel show under that name in an outdoor industrial area off McDowell by the railroad tracks.

Maybe our one claim to fame as Genghis Kahn was the time we made the mistake of flyering every high school about a house party we were playing. Well, an estimated 300 people showed up at this poor guy's house and our door guys collected enough money to buy themselves beer and left the doors wide open - no cover charge for anyone else and free beer brought everyone in! The cops even showed up, but said they were just passing through and could not do anything as long as everyone was behaving (surprised they didn't make a stink about the kegs of beer and 100's of minors!) Well at one point, the homeowner freaked over the amount of people and he tried to get everyone's attention by waving a butcher knife around! :shock: He was promptly defaced by 8 of the guys in the crowd (and I mean, he literally had no face left when he was carried into the house) and the fights broke out between rival schools. We took our equipment over the back fence and made our escape!

About 2 hours later, I'm in a McDonalds or something, still in my stage clothes (bad thing to remember :shock: :lol: ) and someone approaches me asking why I'm not at the party playing? I said the fights broke out and the police broke it all up, to which she says that there are now 200 people all waiting for the party! Apparently after the police had cleared the area, another group of kids came from other high schools and had no idea of what had taken place! If all had gone well, we would have drawn more than 500 people to this one little house in a quiet suburban neighborhood and would have collected some nice money for high school kids with nothing better to do on a Friday night! :lol:

Gotta run now, but when I get back, I'll share how Fred Robinson hooked me up with a Rob Halford autograph through Greg Chaisson and how my wife ended up being connected to the Chaisson family (nothing major, but kinda funny)...

http://members.firstinter.net/markster/

Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I changed the Surgical Steel page....btw.

Regards,
Ken

Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

My story about how Fred hooked me up with a Rob Halford autograph:

Fred and I were pretty good friends in the Phoenix music scene and one day he told me about the Surgical Steel gig that was happening that night. He said that Rob Halford was staying at Greg Chaisson's house and was going to make a surprise appearance with the band that night. Well, I wanted to confirm this and see if I could get Rob's autograph, so Fred gave me Greg's phone number! I called and when Greg answered, I asked him about Rob and if I could get his autograph. Greg was quite upset that a complete stranger was calling him about such "secretive" things, and wanted to know how I got his number. I told him that Fred was a friend of mine and Greg was still pissed, but figured I was OK if Fred felt he could trust me with the number and info. So Greg confirmed that Rob was indeed staying there and he even got me Rob's autograph after the show (though I was not able to meet Rob - oh well).

The really cool surprise that night though, that I didn't know was after Rob did a number with the band, he announced his love for Phoenix and it's desert enviroment and excellent metal scene. In fact, he liked it so much, he had already made plans to move here! The announcement blew us all away and shortly after, Rob was making the Phoenix club scene.

At one point (around Defenders or Turbo), someone said they saw Glenn and K.K. hanging out at Metrocenter, and I blew it off as rumor. But when the VH1 Behind The Music on Priest came out, it mentioned the band rehersing for Turbo in Phoenix, so it was quite possible they were all in town hanging out and rehearsing in those days! 8)

As for my wife's connection to the Chaissons: my wife is not into metal at all, but tolerates me anyway :lol: She actually likes soft rock :roll: but I love her still :wink: Anyway, she works in child care and one day she comes home and says something about the owners the Chaissons. I asked her to find out if they had childeren named Greg, Kenny, and Todd. Turns out she was working for Greg's parents who own a child care center. Well once they found out that my wife was married to a fan of their sons, they started bringing stuff to work to show her. I remember thay brought in a big box of stuff Greg had sent them after joining Badlands with all kinds of stuff from Jake E. Lee. Greg's parents were so proud of him and their other kids' accomplishments (Kenny, who used to be in a band called Outrage with my drummer in Genghis Kahn, went on to success as the bass player for Keel, and Todd Chase had semi-success in the glam metal outfit Tuff and moved on to Substance D).

It's so great to relive the memories so many years later with others who where here at the time! And to have Jeff come in here and share the past is just icing on the cake (his priest memories are classic :wink: )!

8)

Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Too funny....500 people in a house...

Thanks for the cool Surgical Steel page - keep the updates to it coming - I know there are many fans in the Judas Priest community who are VERY curious about Surgical Steel!

BTW, I think you have a spelling error where you talk about Jeff and Bob doing a dual drum solo. You have it saying of Jeff's solo:

...and he would proceed to lick some ass! I do think you meant to say ...and he would proceed to KICK some ass! :lol:

Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Unt! I move topics!

So I gather, based on the songwriting credits, that "Hotter Than Fire" started out as (or evolved from) a Surgical Steel song. (The song writing credits being S. Fontano, J. Martin, M. Lehman). I'm curious if anyone (Jeff?) could shed some light on that and whether the Surgical Steel version was ever recorded or performed.

Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

On some stuff sent to me by David, here's all the Surgical Steel songs...so, yes...they did play it.

Surgical Steel Songs
( In No Particular Order, Asterisk Indicates My All Time Faves. )

Hotwire*

Power To Rock

Hot And Bothered*

Moby Dick*

Smooth And Fast* (Rob Halford Appears Courtesy Of CBS Records)

Bad Boys

I.O.U. Nothing

Crank It Up

To The Bitter End

Tonight

No Fooling Around

Can't Get Enough

Rise To The Stars

Hotter Than Fire

Officer Steel*

We Break The Rules*

Bed Time Baby*

See No Evil*

Rivet Head

Surrender*

Gimme back My Heart

No More Lonely Feeling's

Misbehavin'

Been Messin' Around*

Satisfaction

Tell The Truth

Regards,
Ken

Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:07 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

KenHower wrote:

Thanks for the cool Surgical Steel page - keep the updates to it coming - I know there are many fans in the Judas Priest community who are VERY curious about Surgical Steel!

BTW, I think you have a spelling error where you talk about Jeff and Bob doing a dual drum solo. You have it saying of Jeff's solo:

...and he would proceed to lick some ass! I do think you meant to say ...and he would proceed to KICK some ass! :lol:

Fixed.....A victim of COPY/PASTE.

Regards,
Ken

Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:09 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

maddrakkett wrote:
KenHower wrote:

Fixed.....A victim of COPY/PASTE.

Good deal - it reminded me of the movie 'Demolition Man' where Sandra Bullock's character is in the "nice" future and they don't know our slang from the 21st century, so as she's trying to learn it, she says to Sylvester Stalone's character, "Let's lick this guy's butt!" :lol:

Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
is O.H.B.

"I never did get a hold of the Schoolboys cassette demo, but I do have the KDKB Arizona Sounds album with one of my favorite Schoolboys songs (although more pop than metal) "Dagger And A Kiss" - very cool and it was the Icon lineup that recorded the song."
WOW - the AZ Sounds albums, I don't have any of these, but I know someone who has a couple.

Okay - I know Fred went to Cortez High, but I thought the guys from Genghis Kahn went to Greenway -- am I wrong? Was Greg Bedore (don't remember how to spell his last name but I should) the lead singer for Genghis Kahn for a while?

"we actually opened a Surgical Steel show under that name in an outdoor industrial area off McDowell by the railroad tracks."

That was my favorite venue, believe it or not! We called it the "paper mill" but I have no idea what they made at that factory.

And I think I remember that party...but again, memory not great.

I haven't had such a great time musing over these memories in a long time -- someone should think about an AZ Bands Message Board -- I feel like I'm off topic on some of this stuff!

(I also think you should post a picture of yourself during 'the day' so we can all see your 'stage getup'!)

Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:27 pm
is O.H.B.

Wow - the page looks great -- I got all "excited" when I saw it...how silly of me.

Anyone see a reunion show ever? Ever?

(if this has been asked before, sorry, I'm NEW :? )

Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:31 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

heatherette wrote:
"I never did get a hold of the Schoolboys cassette demo, but I do have the KDKB Arizona Sounds album with one of my favorite Schoolboys songs (although more pop than metal) "Dagger And A Kiss" - very cool and it was the Icon lineup that recorded the song."
WOW - the AZ Sounds albums, I don't have any of these, but I know someone who has a couple.

Okay - I know Fred went to Cortez High, but I thought the guys from Genghis Kahn went to Greenway -- am I wrong? Was Greg Bedore (don't remember how to spell his last name but I should) the lead singer for Genghis Kahn for a while?

"we actually opened a Surgical Steel show under that name in an outdoor industrial area off McDowell by the railroad tracks."

That was my favorite venue, believe it or not! We called it the "paper mill" but I have no idea what they made at that factory.

And I think I remember that party...but again, memory not great.

I haven't had such a great time musing over these memories in a long time -- someone should think about an AZ Bands Message Board -- I feel like I'm off topic on some of this stuff!

(I also think you should post a picture of yourself during 'the day' so we can all see your 'stage getup'!)

It's possible that Greenway had their own Genghis Kahn, but I am not aware of them. I came up with the name for our band after Mad Racket broke up. Some of the remaining members hooked up with members of Outrage to form Genghis Kahn, but not all the members attended Cortez. Our lead "screamer" was Greg Roberts from Cortez and my friend Brian Goodell, also from Cortez, was on the bass. The three of us were the remainders from Mad Racket. Then there was Paul (last name escapes me at the moment) on second guitar and Brian Karcher was the drummer, from Outrage who was friends with Kenny Chaisson (who went on to play bass in Keel).

As far as your question about a reunion - a year or two ago I came across a web page about a Surgical Steel reunion. It had pictures of the guys all hanging out at a barbeque or something and I don't remember if they played any music or just got together to remember the old times (I also am not sure if Jeff was there or not). I've tried to find the page since with all kinds of Google and other web searches, but it seems to be gone for good :( One thing I do remember: the guys did not have the long/perm hair and leather in the reunion pictures! :lol:

I also remember going to see a Southern Rock band in the desert called Jukin' - the guitar player lived in a large warehouse and the band would rehearse there and put on weekend shows - talk about convenience for the band! Everything is always set up, and you are already home when the party's over! :lol: Bob, the owner of Bizarre Guitar, was managing the band I think and would be at every show with his Ford Pantera. My bass player Brian one night was leaning on the car and a bouncer came by and warned him to not get caught by Bob - I'm glad Brian heeded the warning, or my ride home that night might have been by his side in the back of an ambulence! :shock: Bob is a big dude who does not take well to people messing with his car!

Arizona rock 'n' roll memories are so fun to revisit! :D

Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

KenHower wrote:

Wow - the page looks great -- I got all "excited" when I saw it...how silly of me.

Anyone see a reunion show ever? Ever?

(if this has been asked before, sorry, I'm NEW :? )

I too have updated my Surgical Steel Page http://members.firstinter.net/markster/ ... STEEL.html

But while Ken's is obviously focused on Jeff's link to Racer X, mine focuses on the link to Judas Priest, as I run the Judas Priest Info Pages :wink:

Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:13 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Post Just Heard From Original SS Vocalist Harley Van Kirk...
I just got an email today from Surgical Steel's original vocalist and co-founding member Harley Van Kirk. In the email, Harley said the following:

"Me and Jim Keeler formed the band and performed close to two years before I left. As unfortunate as it seems, I didn't want to just be another Priest clone, and I wanted my own identity so they hired Jeff Martin to fill my position... Yes indeed, those were the days man. I have to actually admit that those were the best times of my life in Phoenix! As much as I love Priest, I respect them and myself too much to just clutter the world with another clone of a great person and phenomenal talent as Rob Halford. I'm having my new website published in April of this year, and then the debut album of my band Messiah's Reign will be published and released in July of this year."

Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:14 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Tue May 20, 2003 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

We must be on the same wavelength!!...Unreal...

I can't believe someone else mentioned "ICON"...Holy shit...Those guys ROCKED...I have their s/t CD with the head on it...Too funny...

I was going to school at the time down there in Glendale...Remeber "Rockers" club?...Got to see Alcatrazz with Yingwie there, or was it Steeler?...Too long ago now...

God I loved Phoenix, Metro Center cruising the strip in my Chevelle...Basking in the sun, making $4.50/hour at Yellow Front and LIVIN LARGE!!!!!!

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:24 am
Site Admin

Heatherette!!!

I can't believe someone else mentioned "ICON"...Holy shit...Those guys ROCKED...I have their s/t CD with the head on it...Too funny...

I was going to school at the time down there in Glendale...Remeber "Rockers" club?...Got to see Alcatrazz with Yingwie there, or was it Steeler?...Too long ago now...

God I loved Phoenix, Metro Center cruising the strip in my Chevelle...Basking in the sun, making $4.50/hour at Yellow Front and LIVIN LARGE!!!!!!

LOL...I was in PHX yesterday and Monday. 111...I had enough.

I loved ICON's first LP...couple of KILLER songs. The second one...OMG...the changed their whole look, sound....wasn't even the same.

Regards,
Ken

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:44 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

rickster_x wrote:
Heatherette!!!

LOL...I was in PHX yesterday and Monday. 111...I had enough.

I loved ICON's first LP...couple of KILLER songs. The second one...OMG...the changed their whole look, sound....wasn't even the same.

Yeah, the place is "hotter Than Fire" and I work in it every day! :lol:

I too have Icon's first CD - very cool, Priest sounding, then it all changed and they were on MTV but the sound was not as good as the beginning. Then they went away and now Dan Wexler is playing in a band called Theives In The Temple. I haven't heard any of TITT's stuff yet, so I can't comment on it...

The big news now is Rob Halford just returned to Judas Priest and some rare stuff is planned for release as well as all their promo videos and Priest...Live! on DVD. Then a new album in 2004 as well as a 30 year Anniversary tour. Scott Travis is gonna be quite busy with the Mighty Priest starting with studio time in September/October!

Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
is O.H.B.

Heatherette!!!

Yes, I LOVED Rockers. Of course I was underage...saw a lot of shows there, though. I lived at Metrocenter. That seems really lame now.

Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:37 am
King Of The Monsters

Dead Roman wrote:
I can honestly say i have no clue who your talking about.

Surgical Steel was Jeff's band before he joined Racer X.

Wow.
That´s an OLD school band :wink:

Image Image

Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next