View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Superheroes & Their Super Children 
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Post Superheroes & Their Super Children
Me and my friend have joked around in the past about how it would be to be Steve Vai's son. Like looking for whatever videos on youtube and always seeing your dad pop up and stuff and you'd get all annoyed. Or just having Steve Vai sitting on the couch watching t.v. wearing a crazy suit. Some of the stuff we think of sounds really funny.

Well I know that Motorman has children but I don't know about the rest of Racer X. So I was wondering how Jeff's kids feel about his singing/drumming? Ken, do you know if they like or dislike when he sings? Does he ever put on a Racer X cd for them?

I was just wondering because I could imagine that they just see him as dad, not the legendary JEFF MARTIN like the rest of us.

Also, just anyone here on the board who has kids and still rock (musically) how do your kids feel about it?

:)

Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
i had a girlfriend once... she hated it haha :D

Yeah good question my friend! im curious =)

Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Yaaayy. You get to be in the video of Ya-Yo-Gakk and sing on it :lol:

Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:19 pm
King Of The Monsters

hope we get some input from Ken or someone who knows.

Image Image

Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I'll prod Jeff for a reply....but my observations over 5 years.

Jeff is the only one with a kid. Madison doesn't listen to Racer X...Jeff rarely plays anything he's done, other than when he's done it. He listens to other bands...just like us. Madison rolls her eyes when Jeff sings at home....so there you go. She is taking up drums too at school...so I would say she likes to see Dad play drums, more than sing.

Regards,
Ken

Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:17 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

A special taste is required for an exquisite voice akin to that of Jeff's then? :P

Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:22 pm
Viking Kong

Haha, tbh, I'd hate to have my dad sing at home... :lol:

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:23 pm
Viking Kong

I hate it and live with it.

Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:10 pm
Viking Kong

jeff can come sing at my house while we do the dishes any time!

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:25 am
Superhero

I dont have kids of my own, i almost did but there were complications so we had it aborted. anyways! I have pretty much raised my neices and nephews, so i think i have the right to post on this one.

They all love me, except the teen girl... of course. I taught my oldest nephew to play guitar, and he is simply AMAZED that I lived in the 80s and stuff... He listens to EXACTLY the same music that I did when i was his age. plus you know my counterparts from my heyday. Like RX and stuff. He has gotten better than me, not really but pretty damn good for 2 years of playing.
listen to "Flight of the baboon" but please bare through the avant gardeness of it, he takes after me.

http://www.myspace.com/burntcorkymusic

My youngest neice, leah, plays drums and piano. I taught her how also. she doesnt like my shred playing, but likes my "barney songs". but thats normal, she's 6.

My youngest nephew... well he wont play an instrument, but he likes to scream and has a high note of A9... wow! He doesn't really care about me being and 80s man or not. :lol:

Finally the 17 year old niece.... :? boy is she a party pooper. She hates her uncle because he has long hair and watches out for her. If i take her to the mall, i walk her in. Normal thing to do right? well she tells her friends she paid a "hippy bum" to drive her. what a bitch. :lol: BUT, when she is depressed she comes to me and talks. i guess teenage girls are whacky?
She told me i was really cool once, for getting replaced by steve vai and for getting in wasp and stuff like that. So i guess she's okay.

Hmm... i dont really hang out with any other kids.... but my 2 nephews and my little niece's friends somewhat think im cool. :lol:

Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:46 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
Finally the 17 year old niece.... :? boy is she a party pooper. She hates her uncle because he has long hair and watches out for her. If i take her to the mall, i walk her in. Normal thing to do right? well she tells her friends she paid a "hippy bum" to drive her. what a bitch. :lol: BUT, when she is depressed she comes to me and talks. i guess teenage girls are whacky?
She told me i was really cool once, for getting replaced by steve vai and for getting in wasp and stuff like that. So i guess she's okay.

thats how they all are...her behavior reminds me of the girls i went to high school with. its normal. i'm used to it. so i wouldn't be worried. she'll appreciate you looking out for her one day.

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:54 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

how have you been? :P

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:05 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

I have 2 kids and they both have inherited the music bug from me BIG TIME!!! My daughter is a drummer and my son plays drums and guitar... Back in the day when ole dad was still playing live in bands they would go when possible to gigs and they were into it... We all go to concerts together all the time... I got them into Racer X, Dream Theater, Sevendust, etc... and they got me into My Chemical Romance, The All American Rejects, The Academy Is, etc... We jam together all the time...

Do yourselves a favor and when you do have kids get them heavily involved into music, it'll keep them busy and away from all kinds of trouble...

GOOD TIMES !!! :wink:

Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:41 am
God Of The Sun

wow i dun have kids but i am a kid myself
my dad is a classical musician and played the violin, so thats what i got brought up in.
maybe its just me, but even though i enjoy his playing, i must have heard it so much that it just became normal since he teaches a lot at home. i also been to a few of his concerts with the hk symphony orchestra, but i didnt have that real drive or passion in playing violin myself.

all i thought was that i just had to learn it cause its what my dad and uncle plays, and as soon as i moved to australia i stopped playing it because i just lost interest

i didnt pick up the guitar till like 6 years later, and by then i have lost almost all my violin skills. But i still enjoy a lot of the classical pieces i used to play, just not as enjoyable to rocking guitar tracks. So ill have to say my dad did influence me in music, but its more the love of music, rather than the instrument or genre

Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:33 am
Profile ICQ
Dr. X

I have 2 kids and they both have inherited the music bug from me BIG TIME!!! My daughter is a drummer and my son plays drums and guitar... Back in the day when ole dad was still playing live in bands they would go when possible to gigs and they were into it... We all go to concerts together all the time... I got them into Racer X, Dream Theater, Sevendust, etc... and they got me into My Chemical Romance, The All American Rejects, The Academy Is, etc... We jam together all the time...

Do yourselves a favor and when you do have kids get them heavily involved into music, it'll keep them busy and away from all kinds of trouble...

GOOD TIMES !!! :wink:

agree. my kids love going in the basement with me when the band comes over, or when I'm just plinking around on a guitar or drumset. my boy starts guitar next year, and he's been doing some drumwork. my daughter is a flower child at heart, I think, so at some point I'll have to teach her at least three chords so she can sing Blowin in the Wind.

Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:47 am
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)
tru dat acid!

I dont have kids of my own, i almost did but there were complications so we had it aborted. anyways! I have pretty much raised my neices and nephews, so i think i have the right to post on this one.

They all love me, except the teen girl... of course. I taught my oldest nephew to play guitar, and he is simply AMAZED that I lived in the 80s and stuff... He listens to EXACTLY the same music that I did when i was his age. plus you know my counterparts from my heyday. Like RX and stuff. He has gotten better than me, not really but pretty damn good for 2 years of playing.
listen to "Flight of the baboon" but please bare through the avant gardeness of it, he takes after me.

http://www.myspace.com/burntcorkymusic

My youngest neice, leah, plays drums and piano. I taught her how also. she doesnt like my shred playing, but likes my "barney songs". but thats normal, she's 6.

My youngest nephew... well he wont play an instrument, but he likes to scream and has a high note of A9... wow! He doesn't really care about me being and 80s man or not. :lol:

Hmm... i dont really hang out with any other kids.... but my 2 nephews and my little niece's friends somewhat think im cool. :lol:

hehe thats how girls in my age work! haha... they want to be cool. Collective thinking . com =D but this sounds like something i would see on some american tvshow haha :D

Well my dad and Kirk Hammet (fuck of Hammet Haters! :D ) got me into music =) my dad would sit and play some old AC/DC tunes and teach me how to read tabs and i remember when i looked at the tab and saw "22" i was like :shock: 22?!?! becuse it was so far down for me :D Lame story =).

But from that i developed myself =).

jual gilberete: Btw! dont buy her a webcam! ffs! :D

Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters

Wow, what a bunch of cool stories from the "lucky dads" on the board...

Hope I become a dad one day, and my kids will rock heavyly with me :twisted:

Image Image

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I don't play guitar much anymore and my skills have evaporated...it's complicated, but my guitar basically sat for a good 12 years...never got touched..though I did keep them.(thank god).

Well....about 7 years ago, I finally took it out of the closet one day, after my kids were TOTALLY into Rock N Roll All Nite by Kiss. The only amp I had, was one of this super mini marshall stacks that use the 9Volt battery. So I plugged it in....And watched my kids Jaw drop, as Dad plays Rock N Roll All Nite...it took me a bit to remember it....but they were in awe. Dad was cool.

They've since seen KISS, Aerosmith, Priest (obviously), and many other bands. My son dabbled in drums when Scott had his set at my house...but that was it....at least he had the chance to see if he loved it.

Regards,
Ken

Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters

I guess that knowing that you´re kind of a "superhero" to your sons is one of the most gratifying and cool feelings on the world.

Image Image

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

My kid's 2.5 years old...She sings along with Breaking the law... :lol:

Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next