View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Thinking of getting a Les Paul... 
Dr. X

Post Thinking of getting a Les Paul...
Ok, my main axe right now is an Ibanez JEM7VWH, which I want to keep. I would also like to have a guitar with a fixed bridge, and I LOVE Les Pauls. I want to get the best I can for a relatively low price. My JEM is a nice guitar, but I spent too much extra money for all the fancy crap they put on it, such as the gold plated hardware and the inlay on the neck. Do you guys have any advice on how to get a great Les Paul without spending extra money on needless features? Thanks!

Chris

Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:16 am
Site Admin

Les Paul's are just straight ahead expensive, Chris. If you plan on spending a chunk, then tear it up. More power to you. I'd suggest you look at PRS as well...and here's a guitar that I just found that is absolutely staggering for it's sub-$800 price point...the PRS Tremonti SE. That thing is INSANE. Try it out, you won't be disappointed.

Anyway...Les Pauls...they're like a Porsche 911. They just hold their value. If you start getting into the cheaper models...voodoo...studio...etc. you're getting away from what a Les Paul is...a set neck monster hunk of wood with great pickups and killer tone.

I wish I could play a Les Paul...they're just not condusive to how I play. It feels to me like playing a bow and arrow. I like the straight feel of an Ibanez PGM or a PRS custom 22. The Les Paul's neck and body almost form a V when you look down at it while you're playing it...a serious arc...just weird for me to play.

Good luck homie!

-Chad

Sun Dec 01, 2002 10:54 am
God Of The Sun

there is only one way to buy a good cheap les paul... Buy an epiphone les paul custom

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Sun Dec 01, 2002 3:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Superhero

Dead Roman Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 3:58 pm Post subject:

there is only one way to buy a good cheap les paul... Buy an epiphone les paul custom

I agree :wink: I bought an Epiphone Les Paul / Gibson a few months ago and I also own a JEMFP.. The Epiphone was about 565 Euro,-What I did I played on every Epiphone LP in that shop and listened which one had the best sound untill I found the one I own now,.

Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Dr. X

My 2 cents... I Bought a Les Paul Custom 5 or so years ago straight from the factory. It was the biggest peice of crap I have ever owned. The frets were bad from factory, the thing sounded like crap and the neck was horrible. Maybe it was one in a million but I got one. I traded the guitar for another Universe...Best trade of my life. Go play a few of them before you buy one.

Sun Dec 01, 2002 10:22 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

I had a wine red les paul custom with prs pickups in it for a little while, 1 word to describe it. SAWEEEEEEEEEEETTTT

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:11 am
Profile YIM WWW
Godzilla

I bet the Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom kicks some serious ass!

Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:16 am
Site Admin

It does, but it's nearly $4000. It's got a shaved neck like Zakk has his tech Freddy do to all his guitars, and it's got the 81/85 combo EMG's in it. It's very nice, but that's about as "signature" model as you can get. I'd play one if one was given to me, but I think unless you're Zakk, I wouldn't be playing a guitar with a bullseye on it on stage.

-Chad

Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:47 pm
Godzilla

In October I medicated myself after having my appendectomy by buying a Les Paul DC Standard Plus. It only cost about $1K and is a fantastic instrument.
I personally prefer the DC Les Pauls to the Single Cutaway because upper fret access is much better and the DC has 24 frets..

Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:01 pm
Motorman

Fixed bridge? No problem!!!! Get an Iceman and fit it with the baddest pickups you can get...not only will you save money, but you'll have more "pose" factor!

Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Yeah, you guys are right...all Les Pauls will be expensive as hell. I tried one last year through my amp and it sounded fucking awesome. The body is much stronger than my JEM too, the JEM7VWH has a body made of alder, which is some of the softest wood I've seen on a guitar. It has dents all over it just from small bumps.

Chris

Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:01 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

The body is much stronger than my JEM too, the JEM7VWH has a body made of alder, which is some of the softest wood I've seen on a guitar. It has dents all over it just from small bumps.

Chris

:?:

alder is actually a much denser wood than the mahogany in a les paul... Jem7VWH's actually have a thin basswood veneer on the top and back of the body; basswood is a very soft wood, that's why it seems to dent easily.

Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:34 pm
Dr. X

Ibanez made some great knock-off LPs during the 70s. If you look around for awhile you might find one under $1000. The epiphone LPs range from huge piles of crap to pretty decent guitars depending upon the type of finish and pups they are also priced to be semi-affordable. The old LPs, the collectors kind, are far too over priced IMO for regular Joe's to use as daily players.

Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:04 am
Motorman

Heritage guitars look great, but I've never played one. But I'd get a Heritage before an overpriced Gibson.

http://www.heritageguitar.com/

Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:30 pm
Viking Kong

I've got a 69 Gold top Gibson Les Paul.... Hardly ever use it live (HEAVY as phuq)but have used it in the studio quite a bit...X

Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]