View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 John alderete vs. Billy sheehan... 

Who's the best?
John Alderete 28%  28%  [ 39 ]
Billy sheehan 72%  72%  [ 101 ]
Total votes : 140

John alderete vs. Billy sheehan... 
Motorman

Dude, This Is One Of The Hardest Questions Ever. I Really Love John's Playing And His Bass Solos On Y.R.O And Scarified Are Incredible. Also, I Love Frances The Mute And The Songs Are Brilliant. However, Billy Is A Bass Ledgend He Has Played With Paul Gilbert And Steve Vai And He Has The Uncanny Ability To Play More Than Just A Bass Part.

In Paul's Own Words (In Relation To Mr. Big):
"Even Though I Was The Only Guitarist, Billy Used A Lot Of Sonic Space And He Didn't Just Play Bass Parts. If He Had To Do A Harmony With Me It Was No Problem, So It Didn't Feel Like There Was Anything Missing."

Now, In Regards To My Vote, I Think Billy Is A Legend And Deserves To Be No. 1, However, My Ears Say John. He Always Plays Melodically, In Context And Can Play Faster With 2 Fingers Than Anyone On The Planet. To Me, Billy's Tone Sounds Out Of Context And Un-Bass Like. His Tequniques Have A Unique Sound To Them, But Often Have The Habit Of Standing Out Instead Of Blending In.

My Vote: John Alderete

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:01 pm
Search Button God!

Dude, What's With The Upper Case Letters In Every Single Word? Your caps lock button is broken or something?

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:18 pm
Motorman

Dude, What's With The Upper Case Letters In Every Single Word? Your caps lock button is broken or something?

It's A Habit I Got Into While Using Itunes. Song Titles Seem To Look Better With Capitals At The Begining Of Each Word. Rather Read What I Wrote Than How I Wrote It.

Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:07 am
Site Admin

It's A Habit I Got Into While Using Itunes. Song Titles Seem To Look Better With Capitals At The Begining Of Each Word. Rather Read What I Wrote Than How I Wrote It.

Don't take it the wrong way...Song titles not only look better....it's correct grammar. All titles are supposed to be capitalized....

That said....I don't know how old you are....but I would seriously work on breaking the habit for regular correspondence....because it definitely will not fly in the real/business world.

Not ball busting....just trying to help you out.

Regards,
Ken

Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:27 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

KenHower wrote:
Moving to the Music Mall....Good question, but not related to Racer X.

John isn't related to Racer X??? :shock:

As I see it, it's essentially a Racer X vs Mr. Big type question (i.e. which of Paul's bass players is better).

It's your board, Ken. But there's not much going on with Racer X these days. If you're this strict, the Racer X portion of the forum is going to be pretty empty.

BTW, I voted for John.

BUSTED!!! Way to assert your authority Surg.

Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:11 am
Profile WWW
is the Siren's Eye

I thought Billy Sheenan would win anyway. xD

Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:21 pm
Godzilla

TheSurgeon wrote:
KenHower wrote:
Moving to the Music Mall....Good question, but not related to Racer X.

John isn't related to Racer X??? :shock:

As I see it, it's essentially a Racer X vs Mr. Big type question (i.e. which of Paul's bass players is better).

It's your board, Ken. But there's not much going on with Racer X these days. If you're this strict, the Racer X portion of the forum is going to be pretty empty.

BTW, I voted for John.

BUSTED!!! Way to assert your authority Surg.

Lol yeah Surgeon, you definately stuck the meat to Ken. I give you props for that :D

-Mason

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13)

Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:39 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:01 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

For me, Billy just kinda overdids, too often. :lol:

And, after watching Mr. Big - Farewell in Japan, his over-compressed sound really started to annoy me. Nowadays, it is hard for me to watch Live in SF by Mr. Big because all I hear is his ugly bass. It sounds like he is playing with a drill, all the time...

Also mentioned, John is a team player, the foundation, whereas Billy is always trying to get on top. It used to be interesting but not anymore.

Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:55 am
Profile WWW
Promises to use Search button

I couldnt pick one as a better, but I would say I like Juan's style more.The Day of the Baphomets solo is Jesus music to me.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:30 pm
is the Siren's Eye

i voted mr. Alderete, we cannot compare for shit these two musicians, their music is very different. I like Billy Sheehan, he is a technical monster, but his music is kinda cheesy some times. Mr. Juan has the soul and the technique, just listen to Mars Volta's Frances the Mute and Amputechture, you can't just put in words what expressivity that music have, you must try also the Omar Rodriguez Quintet (Mars Volta's guitarrist), Juan play bass in most of the songs.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5