View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Home recording help..... 
Dr. X

Post Home recording help.....
I've got some questions and I really hope someone could help me out. I want to write and record music on my computer and want some opinions.

I'm going to get an Apple Powerbook g4 w/
1.256GB RAM
100GB HD

and I was wondering what everyone thought about Logic Pro? I want to be able to write the music into it via notation. Would this be worth my money? and if not what software could record and let me write in the music?

and what exactly does a Mark of the Unicorn (MOTU) Traveler Portable Firewire Audio Interface do for me if I was to get one?

and if I got these things, some I mentioned up top.
Apple Powerbook G4
Logic Pro
MOTU Firewire Audio INterface
M-Audio 02 25-key MIDI Controller
Microphones
headphones

would that get by for recording demo cds at least to send out to people? and if you have anything I might want to add or check out please tell me about it.

I really would appreciate any help.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:20 am
God Of The Sun

Sound card is the Key. I made the mistake of buying a Laptop with a shitty Sound Card and now im looking for an external one. When you go to the Computer Shop, you will probably be told to get the Creative Audion Card. Thats Bullshit. Its not very good for recording. Really, you need to look into getting a Roland Edirol or something dedicated with Midi in/out slots built on it. I cant stress how important this is in the Battle against Latency.

When somebody says Firewire they are refering to the 4/6 pin connection on the back of your computer. This is what i will be using for an external Sound Card. Its faster that USB 2 but not as good as a built in Card.

Line 6 have just made a new Guitar/Tone Port. Its USB 2 and acts as an external Sound card (unlike slow Guitar Port 1). Although its USB, Line 6 claim to have stamped out the previous Guitar Port latency problems. This is a really cheap way to get started

Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:08 am
Viking Kong

my band demo using a G4 powerbook
program-wise we use cubase SX for recording, reason for drum progamming, we use a line6 POD2 for guitar effects and the 'guitar rig' cubase plugin for bass and some guitar tweaking others and that's about it
never had a problem at all
guitar into the line in on the powerbook, no external soundcard or anything
plus, paul uses a mac in his studio so they can't be bad ~___^

Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Motorman

My first setup was a Powerbook and MOTU 896 firewire interface. You'll dig it.

My Band on My Space

Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:37 pm
God Of The Sun

Are you having no touble at all with effects on the Powerbooks?

My Laptop is terrible. I use Asio Drivers but it still plays up. This is a Athlon 64 with 512mb RAM by the way so i thought it would have been fine. I suppose it depends on how good you want the quality of the Recording

Quote:
guitar into the line in on the powerbook, no external soundcard or anything
plus, paul uses a mac in his studio so they can't be bad ~___^

They must be better than normal Laptops. Although i think Paul would have a lot of independant devices in his Studio also

Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:54 pm
Viking Kong

They must be better than normal Laptops.

their main advantage is not running windows :)

Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Dr. X

but Big E what does MOTU Firewire Audio Interface really do. I've been researching this stuff but cant really get a grasp on what that actually does for me. I've read somewhere that is acts like a really good soundcard? :?

Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:35 pm
is the Siren's Eye

Hey I use my powerbook g4 for demos and we get really good results, I have a g4 1.2h ghz and 2 gig of ram. 1.25 gig will get away fine though, I just like lots of headroom.

If you're going to be writing music in via a score, I wouldn't recommend, Logic, Protools or Cubase they're all notoriously bad for score input as I recently found out when trying to print out some professional looking scores, it tok me 3 days to get them looking any good.
Instead go for Sibelius for score input, you get it from most p2p apps, and then if you like it buy it <_< >_>. Unfortunately score is the only thing it can do, however you can export midis from it so if you need to combine midi (inputed using a classic notation) and real audio you can export the midi and then import it in to Cubase/Pro Tools/Logic/Whatever. As far as getting decent drum sounds go if you don't want to have to record drums Reason is the way forward, its the best drum sequencer you can buy in my opinion, it can be the most realistic and the most versatile.
The firewire device that you mentioned is just an easy way to get a guitar jack in to your laptop (going through the firewire port) it'll be higher quality than using the mini jack input.
Personally however, I'd buy a firewire or usb mixer, then you can record multiple instruments at the same time, on seperate tracks!

If you need any more help do email me: [email protected]

Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:44 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

^^^ teh email address says it all \m/ ^___^ \m/

Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Dr. X

and I'll probably have more questions, :lol:

Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:25 pm
Motorman

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

but Big E what does MOTU Firewire Audio Interface really do. I've been researching this stuff but cant really get a grasp on what that actually does for me. I've read somewhere that is acts like a really good soundcard? :?

It has all of the D/A converters in it, gives you a point to monitor from etc. It's like a break-out box to get what's out in and what's in out. The 896 gives you 8 channels of recording at once. If my ADAT were working the 896 can see it via fiber optics and give me an additional 8 channels.

My Band on My Space

Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:44 pm
God Of The Sun

Although I'm not really qualified to talk about it since I haven't used any other programs but Logic seems to be very good.

Nice avatar by the way I'm reading silence of the lambs at the minute :wink:

Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:28 pm
God Of The Sun

dimentor wrote:

They must be better than normal Laptops.

their main advantage is not running windows :)

Ahh. that makes a lot of sense to me because im sure Windows fucks with Drivers that it dosent recognise

Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]