View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
 The Laney/Marshall Thread 
Motorman

I have a LAney VH100R. It seems this amp is more popular at gigs than I am. Usually people come up to me and say What the hell is that?
I get more compliments on my sound since i have owned the VH100R.
It is Balls to the wall. I usually only play it with a little bit of chorus going through it. THe only other effect I was using was a Wah and Whammy~

THe other important part of this amp which has had an effect on the tone were the 4x12 H&H vintage 60 speakers. I believe that those speakers were made for that head. If you can get those HH speakers get them!!! I bought it all back in 97 and I still use it. It is my old faithfull.

BLU

Wed May 04, 2005 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

KenHower wrote:
I made it a sticky..a lot of good Laney info.

Good work admin fella! 8)

Thanks...now lets hope future visitors notice....you can lead a dog to water, but ya can't make him drink.

Regards,
Ken

Wed May 04, 2005 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I'm getting a Laney LC-50II IF, and only IF, I pass all my exams this coming month. :lol:

Which reminds me......I gotta study! :shock:

Sat May 07, 2005 3:42 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

GeorgeV......good to see another member of the board from Scotland :D

I have a Laney GH50L Head and i couldn't be happier with it. Before that i had a Carvin Legacy Half Stack but i was never fully happy with the lead tone ( dont get me wrong i love my Legacy and still have it, but it does lack in gain).

The GH50L has tons of gain and is one LOUD BASTERD. I almost cant see the need for the full 100 watt version, even with a full band i cant take it up passed 3, luckily it sounds awsome quiet as well as loud. Loads of High and Low end, i play mine through the Carvin Legacy Top Cab and really love the tones i get.

The single chanel thing isnt much of a problem either, jst switch of the drive and turn your guitar volume down, cleans up nicely. 8)

Sat May 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Viking Kong

Im also getting a Laney if i can get good grades.

recently though, my mom's car got scratched, and it took about 900 bucks to get it cleaned up........

no amp for me anytime soon :cry:

Sat May 07, 2005 7:27 pm
Godzilla

GeorgeV......good to see another member of the board from Scotland :D

Same here. :)

Good Luck, Refried Bean. :D

And anyone else who has any forthcoming exams. My first one is on Friday.....:shock: :shock: :shock:

*runs off to study*

Sat May 07, 2005 7:43 pm
Dr. X

im looking at the gh50l and the vh100r, im in a band that is only just starting to gig(im only 13) and the gigs are around 200 people...

anyway, im looking for that gilbert tone, but nice cleans , i can have nearly any of these two amps...which would you reccomend?are they also reliable?

also..which cabs suitt these cabs? im looking into the marshall 1960ac, but also laney ones..which would you reccomend?

my baby :D

Sat May 21, 2005 5:22 pm
Superhero

I played a couple of the new series of Laneys but they are nothing compared to the AOR series from the late 80's. I had the AOR Lead 50 with boosts on bass,mid, treble.
I should never have sold that one

Sun May 22, 2005 3:08 pm
Promises to use Search button

Oh wow, this thread actually got really useful not only to me, but to a whole bunch of other guys too! I have another question, before I actually want to buy one, I want to try it. Unfortunately, no one around here carries them (at least of what I know). I live in LA county California, but these amps seem to be a no show here for some odd reason, except for maybe Paul. Is there any place around here that carries the GH or VH series amps? I don't want to order it somewhere else and happen not to like it when it arrives.

Tue May 24, 2005 1:42 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Laney and Marshall are the only amps I'd buy sight unheard....

Regards,
Ken

Tue May 24, 2005 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

so for a keen, gilbert and vai fan, whhhhho also likes cleans...which would you reccomend? vh100r or gh100l/50l

Tue May 24, 2005 10:13 pm
Promises to use Search button

Well I guess I would have to just pull the trigger on one and find out haha...oh yeah, what about cabs? I wanna do a 2x12 setup b/c I don't want it to be THAT loud, but loud enough. If you guys would go with any other cab besides the Laney 2x12 what would you get or already have?

Out of pure curiosity I might go with prolly a Mesa cab setup like Andy Timmons does with his Vh100r...or maybe even a Diezel cab...yummm :lol:

Wed May 25, 2005 1:29 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

so for a keen, gilbert and vai fan, whhhhho also likes cleans...which would you reccomend? vh100r or gh100l/50l

If you want a dedicated clean channel it's got to be the VH100R 'cos the GH are single channel. If you want a demo of Paul using them try all the "Guitar techniques" or "Total guitar" columns, he rips on one!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2005 7:38 am
Dr. X

Wed May 25, 2005 9:18 pm
Superhero

The GH100L & GH50L are single channel master volume style heads with footswitchable gain. These amplifiers are capable of a huge variety of sounds, from sparkling clean through powerful crunch to full on monster tones and everything in between. If tone capable of turning people's heads at 100 yards is what you're after - look no further. As well as astounding tone these heads offer a valve-coupled effects loop and link jacks for slaving several heads together. The GH100L and GH50L feature ECC83 equipped preamps and 5881 output sections. The output sections can be retro fitted with EL34's and re-biased at the flick of a switch for the player who likes the tone to be typically British. The GH100L and the GH50L are pictured with the GS412IA and GS412IS cabinets - designed to enhance the amplifiers huge tonal range and produce stunning tone at any volume.

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Wed May 25, 2005 9:42 pm
Motorman

Hi, I'm very new to the amp market and I'm very interested in getting a Laney soon.

1) Why is the GH50L/GH100L single channel? Is there a reason for it?
2) Can somebody explain about the effects loop and how it works and all this hot plate jazz (I'm pretty lost on that area) in words I would understand.
3) I have an effects board with a nice clean tone. I could I hook that up to the GH50L or GH100L and use that to instantly switch to clean tones?

4) I am in desperate need to learn more about tube amps and such, is there a website which explains in detail (and in layman terms) about these kind of amps?

Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:03 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

i have a vc100 and a gh50L, so one is the 100 watt V series 2x12 combo and one is the 50 watt head. i know paul plays the gh100 and has amazing tone, to me its just not necessary to have a 100 watt head, i mean the difference in actual volume is so small and for even the highest recording volumes you dont need the extra push. Not only that, it ends up heating up a little earlier and sounding better at lower levels. One person was talking about the VH/VC series not really being as ballsy, i cant really tell yet because since i bought the VC i havent really played it a lot, the times i did play it, it has some shitty groove tubes or something in it and i bought JJ tubes for it, so ill be able to compare better at that point, but from what i could tell there may be a tiny bit of truth to the tone being different, i dont think its simple a more outfitted version of the GH. This being said it still sounds incredible and you get all the great features. When my band plays live I use my gh50, i dont switch for clean or anything so having a one channel head with a boost works fine for me, and if i needed clean id just cut the boost and use my volume knob, the traditional route. Basically for the price p eople pay for horrible crates and solid state bullshit, laneys are amazing. Ive owned marshalls, theoretically the best mesas, etc. I paid $295 for a used gh50L and never looked back. Check for them on ebay.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:42 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

i mean the difference in actual volume is so small and for even the highest recording volumes you dont need the extra push.

Paul had to put his cab in the bathroom of his house when recording TD, SH, GH, and Burning Organ.

Why does Paul use a 100? It's probably simply a matter of Laney wanting him to use the highend head...plus it probably has more punch...but for the mere mortal....a 50 is just fine.

Regards,
Ken

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

Does anybody know the price of a GH50L new?

What is the difference between the GS412IA and GS412IS cabs? I know they are both made for the GH50L and GH100L but what is the difference between them. Lastly, what are the prices of these cabs new?

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:27 pm
Godzilla

1) Why is the GH50L/GH100L single channel? Is there a reason for it?
The more electronics your signal goes through, the more opportunity there is for your signal (tone) to degrade. Also, a single-channel amp can be optimized (voiced) for its specialty, whereas a multi-channel amp must be compromised so that it sounds reasonably good through all its channels.
Mr_E11 wrote:
2) Can somebody explain about the effects loop and how it works and all this hot plate jazz (I'm pretty lost on that area) in words I would understand.
When you have an amp like a GH100 (or some other master-volume amp) wherein distortion is introduced to the guitar's signal by the "preamp" section of the amp, an effects loop is sometimes added to the amp in order to introduce other effects "downstream" of the preamp distortion. Consider the case of playing with distortion and delay: you plug your guitar into a delay pedal and your delay pedal into your GH100 with the distortion turned up. Now, when you play, you'll be distorting you echoes. If you have an effects loop, you can plug your delay into that. Since the distortion occurs to the signal before it gets to the effects loop, you'll get echoes of your distortion, which sounds more correct and "natural."

A Hotplate is a device (known as an "attenuator") that takes part of the signal coming out of the amp, going to the speaker cab, and basically shorts it to ground. This lessens the strength of the signal going to the cabinet, making it quieter. The main reason for using a Hotplate (or Weber MASS attenuator or Ultimate Attenuator or Marshall Power Brake) is to allow an amp like a Marshall 1959 (100-watt)or 1989 (50-watt) to be turned up to where it's making that cool power tube distortion but to keep the volume down to reasonable levels, since these models have no master volumes to create distortion in the preamp section.

Mr_E11 wrote:
3) I have an effects board with a nice clean tone. I could I hook that up to the GH50L or GH100L and use that to instantly switch to clean tones?
Not exactly. If your GH100 were set up to give a distorted sound, you'd get a distorted sound, unless your effects board were set to set out a very low signal in order to make it sound clean, in which case there would be a large difference in the volume between the two different sounds. I use two amps, one which is excellent for clean and one which is excellent for dirty and switch between the two. (I use a stereo volume pedal as a fader between the two, but an A/B switch could be used to switch instantaneously from one to the other.)

Mr_E11 wrote:
4) I am in desperate need to learn more about tube amps and such, is there a website which explains in detail (and in layman terms) about these kind of amps?
Here's a couple of good places to start: http://plexipalace.com/plexiboard/index.php and http://www.legendarytones.com/

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next