View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
 The Laney/Marshall Thread 
Promises to use Search button

Post The Laney/Marshall Thread
Hey guys, I'm seriously considering to buy a Laney...but unfortunately no one here stocks them so I can't try em out. I think I'm most likely to get a VH100R, or maybe a GH50L. My only question about the GH's is if I can switch from clean to dirty with the footswitch. I know its a single channel amp, but I want at least some clean/dirty switching ability. So how do you guys like your Laney?

EDIT: Changed to the Laney/Marshall thread to accommodate the dudes who also got Marshall amps since Paul's switch. - Pao

Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

There's gotta be SOMEONE with a Laney with advice??

Regards,
Ken

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

I've always wanted to try one, also. Doug Stapp and Chad say they rock. I'm almost positive they have a footswitch.

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:42 pm
Motorman

How can you switch from clean to dirty with a footswitch if it's single channel?

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:55 pm
God Of The Sun

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:39 pm
Godzilla

Just turn down the volume of your guitar to almost zero, bang a chord, and there you go, cleannn sound.
Who needs a clean channel, anyway? :lol:

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:53 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Dr. X

Relating to the single channel amp / multiple tones question...
In a lot of the PG's Ibanez/Laney clinic bootlegs he describes how he gets his clean/crunch/lead sounds from a single channel amp.

To start with you need a H-S-H pickup configuration. Paul mainly uses the 2nd switch position (split bridge with single coil) to get his clean sound. This is one of the reasons that the 2nd and 4th switch positions on the PGM guitars are quiter then the others, to help clean the amp up. You then need a volume pot that has a capacitor across it that acts as a high-pass filter when you lower the volume, essentially dumping some of the lower frequencies. this gives a nice, twangy clean sound with the pickup configuration and the volume lowered.

The crunch is simply any of the pickup settings (choose your flavour) with the guitar volume full up and the amp set to a, er, crunchy gain setting :)

The boost on the Laney GH amps is simply another tube gain channel. This could be substitued for a good solid state (Ibanez TS-808) or tube (???) pedal in front of the amp. He claims to use this for either solos or real insane rhythm parts.

One of the keys to this is having the tube power amp section high enough that it adds more compression as you go from clean-crunch-lead resulting in a more even increase in loudness.

Another alternative would be to buy a Pod and an AB switch in addition to the amp. Plug your guitar into the AB switch and have A going to the Pod with a real clean sound and B going to the amp input. From the Pod go directly into the return of the GH50/100L FX loop set for parallel functionality. The blend knob for the FX loop now lets you have greater control over how loud the clean sound is in comparison to your distorted sounds. And you can switch between them with your AB switch at any time.

If you're feeling really kinky you could replace the AB switch with an ABY switch so you could have a clean and distorted sound at the same time, like Pauls tone in "Trapped In Toyland" by Mr. Big.

Hope this was useful... can't be bothered re-reading it so assume it isn't ;)

Dave

Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:42 am
God Of The Sun

I have a Laney and I bought it for $330 off ebay. Great amp, my only thing with it is, in my band I have to go from clean to dirty quickly while singing. The GH doesn't lend well to that. I've used it to record and actually I'm using the powersection of it for my ADA setup.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

I have a Laney VH100R and it is a great amp! From sparkling cleans that make an operating room seem dirty to British crunch to the Devil’s type flatulence snarl, the VH100R does it all.

The best thing about the Laney is that not only does it sound great; it has its own voice. When you have a Laney you will not be without one again and you’ll be able to pick one out of the crowded amplifier market with only a few notes played. Don’t listen to folks who complain that Laney amplifiers are too bright; the added presence that a Laney puts out helps us to CUT through the crowded mid and upper frequencies when we’re laying down a killer solo and the drummer decides to hit the cymbals as much as we’ve been nailing his girlfriend when wasn’t around!

Regarding channels, I need to go from clean to monstrous gain at times and the single channel GH series just wasn’t in the cards for me so I went with the VH. I’ve not been disappointed in my VH100R and I won’t be without it.

A word of advice, pick up an THD Hotplate so you can get some power tube saturation without smoking the paint off of both the Golden Gate Bridge and melting the glass floors of the CN tower! The VH100R gets loud FAST.

Derek

Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:38 am
Superhero

probably the coolest lead tone you can get, but im going to get a mesa triple rect when I can afford it. Lead tone isnt as good but its a more cut your head off metal distortion. I have the vh100r, you cant go wrong getting one (lead tone wise)

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:56 am
Motorman

I've got a GH100 and it rocks. Started off with the rackmount ADA MP-1 stuff and power amps/effects but didn't get a raw enough sound. Moved to GH50 which was excellent and then GH100 which is awesome (Very loud). You can overcome the clean/dirty/one channel problem by using the middle pickup

Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:01 am
Dr. X

I've got a VH100R and a VC50, have considered selling both at times of poverty to my shame :oops:

Both amps sound amazing when they are driven but the footswitches they come with are a bit shite. I have a ghost in my VC50 that likes to turn the gain on full when I'm using the clean channel!
I am currently looking into replacing the VH100R with a GH50L 'cos I don't need all the dials and buttons that the VH series has.

I'm told that Laney's are quite hard to get hold of in the states but thankfully here in good old blighty everybody sells them and nobody uses them. They're a best kept secret, almost. :wink:

Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:56 pm
Superhero

probably the coolest lead tone you can get, but im going to get a mesa triple rect when I can afford it.

What size venues do you play? :shock:

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:25 pm
Dr. X

I have the Laney Tube Fusion series stack. This seems to be the cheaper series of the Laney gear, however, for what reason i know not (possibly because the amp is very meat and potatoes)...the distortion is so crisp, yet high in gain, the clean channel is crystal and it sounds amazin when cranked at a gig. I have played all over Belfast in ireland with a lot of bands, and I have heard Marshalls, Mesas and H&K amps, but nothing is as distinct as the Laney.

Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:24 pm
Superhero

SRV463 wrote:
probably the coolest lead tone you can get, but im going to get a mesa triple rect when I can afford it.

What size venues do you play? :shock:

nothing huggge, but decent size venues. My band plays at the volume we practice at, even if they tell us to turn it down =x so far the clubs keep having us back so I guess we are doin something right

Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:17 am
Dr. X

Seems to be the place to post Laney questions so here goes;

Apart from the obvious are there any differences in sound between the GH50L and the GH100L?
Would appreciate any help as I'm considering chopping in my VH100R for a GH50L and don't want to find out after that the GH100L is better!

Tue May 03, 2005 4:48 pm
Site Admin

I made it a sticky..a lot of good Laney info.

Regards,
Ken

Tue May 03, 2005 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

I made it a sticky..a lot of good Laney info.

Good work admin fella! 8)

Tue May 03, 2005 7:10 pm
Dr. X

I bought a Laney AOR 50 off ebay awhile back when I was in the amp hunt, because I liked Paul's sound and I figured one Laney was as good as another. These things are a steal, you can get them from $200-400. They're single channel foot switchable gain like the GH series and get some pretty good distortion on their own. Slam it with an OD and it really sounds pretty good. Only problem was it has to be LOUD, really, really, really LOUD and I couldn't keep it in my apartment. I also didn't wanna mess with having pedals and hot plates and all that jazz.

So I moved on to looking for a Laney TT50, but it seems they are entirely too hard to come by in the states. Then somebody told me I should check out a 5150. Went around to all the local shops/pawn shops lookin for a combo and couldn't find one. But at the shop where I take my guitars for setups one of the guys there was selling a 5150 head. Seems he had just aquired a Laney GH50L for $0 from a dude that owed him money. He liked the Laney so much that he made it his gigging amp and wanted to get rid of the 5150. So I ended up buying his 5150, which I really like, but he let me play the GH50L and I really like it as well, I'd like to own one some day.

Like somebody mentioned earlier, Laneys just have that distinctive sound. It's like a Marshall, but all it's own at the same time. That guy at the shop says whenever he gigs he always gets people telling him great his tone is, and wanting to know what kind of amp it is, since they've never heard of them. He said he was contemplating becoming a Laney dealer, but he just didn't know how much interest they would generate around here. Like me, he had owned an AOR series head, and a VH100R before and loved them both.

Tue May 03, 2005 9:10 pm
Dr. X

My two cents... I played Laney for a very long time! The VH head is cool and I still own two of them, but they really lack in balls and pure tone from what the Gh100L has. The VH has more features which is cool, but overall the GH sounds much better. The VH head is thinner. The last NAMM show I played for Laney I got to try out all of their amps I have never seen before... The GH heads still rule. If you want a no frills balls to the wall amp at a great price the GH100L is the head. The 50 watt is ok, but I would fork out for the 100 watt. The 50 watt breaks up kind of weird.
Also in pure feel, volume and tone they smoke the 5150's. They don't have that annoying compressed feel either. They are reliable as all hell too. I never had one break down on me and they traveled all over the place with me. Laney does have a new US distributor in Miami now, so you should be able to buy them in the States pretty easily.

See ya - Doug

Wed May 04, 2005 7:08 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 525 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next