View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
 A Report from Terri Schiavo's Room 
Unt! I move topics!

Sean Hannity also interviewed a doctor who has been nominated for a Nobel Prize for his work with patients like Terri -- so he's no slacker. He had the opportunity to examine Terri on three different occasions for a total of ten hours. He also reviewed boxes and boxes of her medical records, as well as hours of videotape footage of her. He studied her case for a year.

His conclusion? That he has no way of explaining this case other than to conclude a terrible mistake has been made. He said Terri is definitely responsesive and very aware of, and understands, what is going on around her. He said he has developed a therapeutic technique where he has treated patients worse off than Terri who he's had talking in a matter of months. He said there is no reason why Terri cannot be rehabilitated.

FYI - the doctor you are referring to, Dr. William Hammesfahr, is a quack. He is lying about being nominated for a Nobel Prize. Only the winner is announced. Nominees are not notified and the records of who is nominated are sealed for 50 years. There is no way he would know if he had been nominated but didn't win the prize.

He has never published a single article in any peer-reviewed medical or scientific journal. There is no scientific evidence to support the so-called therapies that he advocates.

To give you an idea of how outside the mainstream this guy is, one of his proposed treatments is to remove her omentum (an anatomical structure in the abdomen which is composed of fat and blood vessels) and transplant it to her brain [this was reported in the Los Angeles Times this morning].

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I HAVE SEEN MANY WALKING, TALKING, FAIRLY COHERENT PEOPLE WITH WORSE CEREBRAL/CORTICAL ATROPHY. THEREFORE, THIS IS IN NO WAY PRIMA FACIE EVIDENCE THAT TERRI SCHIAVO'S MENTAL ABILITIES OR/OR CAPABILITIES ARE COMPLETELY ERADICATED. I CANNOT BELIEVE SUCH TESTIMONY HAS BEEN GIVEN ON THE BASIS OF THIS SCAN.

The worrisome, no alarming thing, for me, was that I heard a bioethicist and several important figures on the major media describe Terri's brain as MUCH WORSE. One "expert" said that she had a "bag of water" in her head. Several experts described her as a "brain stem preparation"

These statements are wholly inaccurate. This is an atrophied brain, yes, but there is cortex remaining, and where there's cortex (?life) there's hope.

If you starve this woman to death it would be, in my professional and experienced medical opinion, the equivalent of starving to death a 75-85 year old person. I would take that to the witness stand.

From: http://codeblueblog.blogs.com/codeblueblog/2005/03/csi_medblogs_co.html

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of freedom." - John F. Kennedy 1961

Last edited by Sandman on Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:43 pm
Godzilla

this was reported in the Los Angeles Times this morning

The L.A. Times is a quack!

"Terri is completely aware and conscious and responsive. She is like a child with cerebral palsy. We have kids in the Pinellas County school system every day that are much worse than her, that we're educating."

Transcripts and video for those who are interested:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,151148,00.html
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,101458,00.html

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of freedom." - John F. Kennedy 1961

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:45 pm
Viking Kong

Touche! I think most of us can agree on that!

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:43 pm
Unt! I move topics!

TheSurgeon wrote:
this was reported in the Los Angeles Times this morning

That is a well thought out, and reasoned rebuttal to my previous statement. I am most impressed by your ablity to keep your arguments free of emotion.

Seriously, is that the best you've got? There are valid arguments to be made on both sides of this case. But that doctor is a fraud and it only weakens your arguments when you offer up his statements regarding this case.

BTW ... your mother is a quack! :wink: :wink: :wink: *sticks tongue out and then runs away*

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I just got through watching the replay of tonight's Hannity and Colms. Sean Hannity was broadcasting live from outside the hospice Terri is in. He spoke with Terri's dad and brother and sister.

There's evidence that Terri condition is actually a failed homicide on the part of Michael Scheivo. That would explain why he's fighting so hard to prevent her from ever being able to talk again. He has blocked her receiving any therapy since 1993. He wants her body cremated, against her family's wishes. Medical records which were made not available to her parents until many years later show that Terri was discovered to have had several unexplained broken bones a few months after her collapse. At the time of her collapse, Terri and Michael were in the midst of a period where they were not getting along and were seriously considering divorce.

Sean Hannity also interviewed a doctor who has been nominated for a Nobel Prize for his work with patients like Terri -- so he's no slacker. He had the opportunity to examine Terri on three different occasions for a total of ten hours. He also reviewed boxes and boxes of her medical records, as well as hours of videotape footage of her. He studied her case for a year.

His conclusion? That he has no way of explaining this case other than to conclude a terrible mistake has been made. He said Terri is definitely responsesive and very aware of, and understands, what is going on around her. He said he has developed a therapeutic technique where he has treated patients worse off than Terri who he's had talking in a matter of months. He said there is no reason why Terri cannot be rehabilitated.

When Colms grilled him on "all the doctors" who have said Terri is in a vegetative state, his reply was that there are only four doctors who have said such a thing. All were paid by Michael Scheivo. There are 32 other experts in the field, from UCLA and other prestegious medical centers, who have reviewed her case and disagree with that assessment. But the judge in the case disregarded that evidence. He said this is a case that demonstrates the fact that you don't want a judge making medical decisions.

There is absolutely NO evidence to suggest that Michael Schiavo tried to kill Terri. The information that you are spouting is the result of a smear campaign waged by Terri's family and their attorneys. Had there been any evidence of that sort, it would have been turned over to the police and an investigation would have ensued.
Terri Schiavo had a heart attack due to a potassium deficiency that was caused by malnutrition. It was well documented that Terri suffered from Bulemia. END OF STORY.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:02 pm
Site Admin

I pegged this guy for a scum bag a LONG time ago.

If my wife was like this....I would NOT be living with another woman and have children.

It's a conflict of interest.

Regards,
Ken

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

There is absolutely NO evidence to suggest that Michael Schiavo tried to kill Terri. The information that you are spouting is the result of a smear campaign waged by Terri's family and their attorneys. Had there been any evidence of that sort, it would have been turned over to the police and an investigation would have ensued.
Terri Schiavo had a heart attack due to a potassium deficiency that was caused by malnutrition. It was well documented that Terri suffered from Bulemia. END OF STORY.
If I were a nurse, how would I benefit from signing an affidavit, & then perjuring myself? That's some smear campaign.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:13 pm
Viking Kong

Even with some of the valid points that people may have for killing her, this "husband" with his history isn't helping the argument.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:18 pm
Site Admin

I've never seen this guy on TV with any emotion....If this was my wife...I'd be crying...pleading.

I've seen her parents cry on TV....

Regards,
Ken

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

I.m.o. (for what it's worth) the nurses who worked with Teri have shown more credibility than Mr. Schaivo. He strikes me as creepy.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:26 pm
Godzilla

I've never seen this guy on TV with any emotion....If this was my wife...I'd be crying...pleading.

I've seen her parents cry on TV....

You don't think that 15 years of watching the shell of his wife "live"on in such a state has not affected him? He's probably out of tears. There comes a point where hope vanishes and life continues.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:28 pm
Godzilla

I.m.o. (for what it's worth) the nurses who worked with Teri have shown more credibility than Mr. Schaivo. He strikes me as creepy.

How about the dozens of doctors who have examined her? Even the Court-appointed doctors agree that she will not recover.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:34 pm
Godzilla

http://www.cnsnews.com/pdf/2003/aff2.pdf

AFFIDAVIT

STATE OF FLORIDA )
COUNTY OF PINELLAS )

BEFORE ME the undersigned authority personally appeared CARLA SAUER IYER, R.N., who being first duly sworn, deposes and says:

1. My name is Carla Sauer Iyer. I am over the age of eighteen and make this statement of my own personal knowledge.

2. I am a registered nurse in the State of Florida, having been licensed continuously in Florida from 1997 to the present. Prior to that I was a Licensed Practical Nurse for about four years.

3. I was employed at Palm Garden of Largo Convalescent Center in Largo, Florida from April of 1995 to July 1996, while Terri Schiavo was a patient there.

4. It was clear to me at Palm Gardens that all decisions regarding Terri Schiavo were made by Michael Schiavo, with no allowance made for any discussion, debate or normal professional judgment. My initial training there consisted solely of the instruction “Do what Michael Schiavo tells you or you will be terminated.” This struck me as extremely odd.

5. I was very disturbed by the decision making protocol, as no allowance whatsoever was made for professional responsibility. The atmosphere throughout the facility was dominated by Mr. Schiavo’s intimidation. Everyone there, with the exception of several people who seemed to be close to Michael, was intimidated by him. Michael Schiavo always had an overbearing attitude, yelling numerous times such things as “This is my order and you’re going to follow it.” He is very large and uses menacing body language, such as standing too close to you, getting right in your face and practically shouting.

6. To the best of my recollection, rehabilitation had been ordered for Terri, but I never saw any being done or had any reason at all to believe that there was ever any rehab of Terri done at Palm Gardens while I was there. I became concerned because nothing was being done for Terri at all, no antibiotics, no tests, no range of motion therapy, no stimulation, no nothing. Michael said again and again that Terri should NOT get any rehab, that there should be no range of motion whatsoever, or anything else. I and a CNA named Roxy would give Terri range of motion anyway. One time I put a wash cloth in Terri’s hand to keep her fingers from curling together, and Michael saw it and made me take it out, saying that was therapy.

7. Terri’s medical condition was systematically distorted and misrepresented. When I worked with her, she was alert and oriented. Terri spoke on a regular basis while in my presence, saying such things as “mommy,” and “help me.” “Help me” was, in fact, one of her most frequent utterances. I heard her say it hundreds of times. Terri would try to say the word “pain” when she was in discomfort, but it came out more like “pay.” She didn’t say the “n” sound very well. During her menses she would indicate her discomfort by saying “pay” and moving her arms toward her lower abdominal area. Other ways that she would indicate that she was in pain included pursing her lips, grimacing, thrashing in bed, curling her toes or moving her legs around. She would let you know when she had a bowel movement by flipping up the covers and pulling on her diaper.

8. When I came into her room and said “Hi, Terri”, she would always recognize my voice and her name, and would turn her head all the way toward me, saying “Haaaiiiii” sort of, as she did. I recognized this as a “hi”, which is very close to what it sounded like, the whole sound being only a second or two long. When I told her humorous stories about my life or something I read in the paper, Terri would chuckle, sometimes more a giggle or laugh. She would move her whole body, upper and lower. Her legs would sometimes be off the bed, and need to be repositioned. I made numerous entries into the nursing notes in her chart, stating verbatim what she said and her various behaviors, but by my next on-duty shift, the notes would be deleted from her chart. Every time I made a positive entry about any responsiveness of Terri’s, someone would remove it after my shift ended. Michael always demanded to see her chart as soon as he arrived, and would take it in her room with him. I documented Terri’s rehab potential well, writing whole pages about Terri’s responsiveness, but they would always be deleted by the next time I saw her chart. The reason I wrote so much was that everybody else seemed to be afraid to make positive entries for fear of their jobs, but I felt very strongly that a nurses job was to accurately record everything we see and hear that bears on a patients condition and their family. I upheld the Nurses Practice Act, and if it cost me my job, I was willing to accept that.

9. Throughout my time at Palm Gardens, Michael Schiavo was focused on Terri’s death. Michael would say “When is she going to die?,” “Has she died yet?” and “When is that bitch gonna die?” These statements were common knowledge at Palm Gardens, as he would make them casually in passing, without regard even for who he was talking to, as long as it was a staff member. Other statements which I recall him making include “Can’t you do anything to accelerate her death - won’t she ever die?” When she wouldn’t die, Michael would be furious. Michael was also adamant that the family should not be given information. He made numerous statements such as “Make sure the parents aren’t contacted.” I recorded Michael’s statements word for word in Terri’s chart, but these entries were also deleted after the end of my shift. Standing orders were that the family wasn’t to be contacted, in fact, there was a large sign in the front of her chart that said under no circumstances was her family to be called, call Michael immediately, but I would call them, anyway, because I thought they should know about their daughter.

10. Any time Terri would be sick, like with a UTI or fluid buildup in her lungs, colds, pneumonia, Michael would be visibly excited, thrilled even, hoping that she would die. He would call me, as I was the nurse supervisor on the floor, and ask for every little detail about her temperature, blood pressure, etc., and would call back frequently asking if she was dead yet. He would blurt out “I’m going to be rich!,” and would talk about all the things he would buy when Terri died, which included a new car, a new boat, and going to Europe, among other things.

11. When Michael visited Terri, he always came alone and always had the door closed and locked while he was with Terri. He would typically be there about twenty minutes or so. When he left Terri would would be trembling, crying hysterically, and would be very pale and have cold sweats. It looked to me like Terri was having a hypoglycemic reaction, so I’d check her blood sugar. The glucometer reading would be so low it was below the range where it would register an actual number reading. I would put dextrose in Terri’s mouth to counteract it. This happened about five times on my shift as I recall. Normally Terri’s blood sugar levels were very stable due to the uniformity of her diet through tube feeding. It is my belief that Michael injected Terri with Regular insulin, which is very fast acting.

12. The longer I was employed at Palm Gardens the more concerned I became about patient care, both relating to Terri Schiavo, for the reasons I’ve said, and other patients, too. There was an LPN named Carolyn Adams, known as “Andy” Adams who was a particular concern. An unusual number of patients seemed to die on her shift, but she was completely unconcerned, making statements such as “They are old - let them die.” I couldn’t believe her attitude or the fact that it didn’t seem to attract any attention. She made many comments about Terri being a waste of money, that she should die. She said it was costing Michael a lot of money to keep her alive, and that he complained about it constantly (I heard him complain about it all the time, too.) Both Michael and Adams said that she would be worth more to him if she were dead. I ultimately called the police relative to this situation, and was terminated the next day. Other reasons were cited, but I was convinced it was because of my “rocking the boat.”

13. Ms. Adams was one of the people who did not seem to be intimidated by Michael. In fact, they seemed to be very close, and Adams would do whatever Michael told her. Michael sometimes called Adams at night and spoke at length. I was not able to hear the content of these phone calls, but I knew it was him talking to her because she would tell me afterward and relay orders from him.

14. While at Palm Gardens, I became fearful for my personal safety. This was due to Michael’s constant intimidation, including his menacing body language, vocal tone and mannerisms.

15. I have contacted the Schindler family because I just couldn’t stand by and let Terri die without the truth being known.

FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH NAUGHT.

CARLA SAUER IYER, R.N.

The foregoing instrument was acknowledged before me this _____ day of September, 2003, by CARLA SAUER IYER, R.N., who produced her Florida driver’s license as identification, and who did / did not take an oath.

Notary Public

My commission expires:

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:34 pm
Godzilla

If my wife was like this....I would NOT be living with another woman and have children.

In fact, in some other states, he would have ceased to be her legal husband a long time ago.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:37 pm
Godzilla

GTRMAN wrote:
If I were a nurse, how would I benefit from signing an affidavit, & then perjuring myself? That's some smear campaign.

It's very common for nurses to develop a bond with their patients. Especially those who are as helpless as Terri.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:37 pm
Godzilla

CLOSURE OF MIND. [returns to vegetative state]

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:39 pm
Viking Kong

It's very common for nurses to develop a bond with their patients. Especially those who are as helpless as Terri.
I wouldn't doubt that at all. I'd assume they'd know better though, than to lie about what they saw regarding Teri's husband in a court of law.
I mean, would you tell a lie on the stand just to get your way, when it would be so much easier just to lie low & do your job?

The things they revealed about Mr. Schaivo are just disturbing. If it didn't happen, why bother? I wouldn't risk going to jail, or pay a heavy fine for a total fabrication, even if I did have a bond.

Although I'd personally rather see Teri live, I do think there are some legitimate arguments that the other side is making. Their cause would be much further along though, had Mr. Schaivo just sat down & shut up. (By that, I mean not do T.V. interviews.)

All arguments aside, this whole scenario... all of it, is just truly sad.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:46 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: A Report for Terri Schiavo's Room
SRV463 wrote:
GTRMAN wrote:
Sandman wrote:
GTRMAN wrote:
Bullshit.

I wish it was. I also saw her brother on TV last night. He's very articulate, and his report is the same.

They can THINK and say whatever they like. It doesn't make it true.. They're desperate and they're clinging to anything that may help their case..

How can you support her being killed? Dont you know its morally wrong?
I have a tough time understanding this way of thinking, too. A little too quick to dismiss the other side, if you ask me.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:35 pm
Site Admin

There comes a point where hope vanishes and life continues.

fucking another woman....Yup. He's devestated.

Regards,
Ken

Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next