View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 A Report from Terri Schiavo's Room 
Unt! I move topics!

Quote:
Although it would be more humane to give her a lethal injection

I agree, but would this assisted suicide?

edit: I am not saying she should die. What I meant is if the decision was made, starvation seems like suffering.

A lethal injection would be illegal as assisted suicide is not legal except in Oregon ... it is not a viable option in this case (unfortunately).

As I indicated in my last post, although starving would be unpleasant to a normal person, it is doubtful she would be aware of the fact that she wasn't being fed. It is, however, impossible to know exactly what she would experience.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:37 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

She's already dead, tho. Machines are keeping her alive. She's never going to get any better.

Since your understanding of the situation is factually false, you're judgment is crippled. With therapy, medical opinion is Terri would likely do much better and be able to communicate. For Pete's stake, she's not BRAIN DEAD! She's not suffering!! We're becoming a nation of Nazis. "Do away with the unfit!"

TheSurgeon wrote:
EKG wrote:
Quote:
Although it would be more humane to give her a lethal injection

I agree, but would this assisted suicide?

You can't commit suicide for someone else. If her husband is so keen on it, let him do it on himself.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of freedom." - John F. Kennedy 1961

Last edited by Sandman on Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:37 am
God Of The Sun

I just think of the Metallica "One" video.

Ah man that video is awesome.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:42 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

Pablo Wablo wrote:
She's already dead, tho. Machines are keeping her alive. She's never going to get any better.

Since your understanding of the situation is factually false, you're judgment is crippled.

Wow. That sounded really professional, man. What's your medical opinion? I believe when your cerebral cortex is jelly you don't really have much going for you. What kind of medical treatment will repair that? I wasn't aware of any. Maybe the Doc can shed some light on this miracle treatment your talking about.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:48 am
Superhero

I just think of the Metallica "One" video.

Ah man that video is awesome.

I love that video!

Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:49 am
Site Admin

She's already dead, tho. Machines are keeping her alive.

False. She's NOT being kept alive by any machine. She's just being fed. I think that's a basic right for anyone....to be fed.

In the absence of anything written by Terri, I believe we should err on the side of life, not death.

Regards,
Ken

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:02 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:05 am
King Of The Monsters

Pablo Wablo wants to kill jason becker then.

He is also fed by machines.

Image Image

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:13 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

http://www.terrisfight.net/

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:16 am
Godzilla

Why do we fail to realize that people in vegetative states with much shorter terms die every day in the US because they dont have a family to feed them, why doesnt congress vote on sustained life support for these individuals.

This woman has been in this state for 16 years, if the family wants to keep her alive so be it, but in all honesty it doesnt make any difference to terry or her husband because he knows she truly is brain dead, and she has passed 16 years ago.

Personally I think it should be up to the husband. No matter what his intentions really are, the fact is that congress is now allowing outside influences to determine the decisions that a married couple can make.

If I where terry I would not want to live and make my family and community experience the hardship of sustaining me. But in this case, if my wife where to try and carry out my wishes, she may be interrupted by my parents who have no knowledge of what I may or may not want.

Even a prisoner on death row has more freedoms then she does, it is clinically known that she cannot experience any stimulus. Let her die in peace, instead of suffering this prolonged pipe dream of her recovery.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:26 am
Unt! I move topics!

I think focusing on what is or isn't keeping her alive misses the point. What is important is (a) what is the quality of her life, and (b) what are the patient's wishes ... given that quality of life would she want to stay alive?

It's not about a "right" to be fed. It's not about how she gets fed. In her present state, she doesn't experience the intake of food in any meaningful way. It has nothing to do with the quality of her life. Its only importance is that under our present legal system, the only way to allow her to die is to stop her feedings.

The answer to (a) is that her quality of life sucks. The answer to (b) is unfortunately much less clear.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:43 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I just got through watching the replay of tonight's Hannity and Colms. Sean Hannity was broadcasting live from outside the hospice Terri is in. He spoke with Terri's dad and brother and sister.

There's evidence that Terri condition is actually a failed homicide on the part of Michael Scheivo. That would explain why he's fighting so hard to prevent her from ever being able to talk again. He has blocked her receiving any therapy since 1993. He wants her body cremated, against her family's wishes. Medical records which were made not available to her parents until many years later show that Terri was discovered to have had several unexplained broken bones a few months after her collapse. At the time of her collapse, Terri and Michael were in the midst of a period where they were not getting along and were seriously considering divorce.

Sean Hannity also interviewed a doctor who has been nominated for a Nobel Prize for his work with patients like Terri -- so he's no slacker. He had the opportunity to examine Terri on three different occasions for a total of ten hours. He also reviewed boxes and boxes of her medical records, as well as hours of videotape footage of her. He studied her case for a year.

His conclusion? That he has no way of explaining this case other than to conclude a terrible mistake has been made. He said Terri is definitely responsesive and very aware of, and understands, what is going on around her. He said he has developed a therapeutic technique where he has treated patients worse off than Terri who he's had talking in a matter of months. He said there is no reason why Terri cannot be rehabilitated.

When Colms grilled him on "all the doctors" who have said Terri is in a vegetative state, his reply was that there are only four doctors who have said such a thing. All were paid by Michael Scheivo. There are 32 other experts in the field, from UCLA and other prestegious medical centers, who have reviewed her case and disagree with that assessment. But the judge in the case disregarded that evidence. He said this is a case that demonstrates the fact that you don't want a judge making medical decisions.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of freedom." - John F. Kennedy 1961

Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:57 am
Viking Kong

It's so unbelievable. No one gets the TRUTH about Terri. People say she can eat by herself. People say she can talk. People say she's a braindead vegetable with less sentience than a piece of gravel. What the fuck is wrong with people? She's either aware of this shit, or she's not. There can be no Terri Schiavo: the walking, talking Wonderwoman, when another report speaks of Terri Schiavo: the undead zombie who's wasting our tax dollars. There is only truth, and I can only hope that one day we will know it. Until then, one side is going to speculate that she "couldn't possibly understand her family without the normal functions of a human" or that everything she does is just an impulsive reaction, and we'll have to somehow compare that to the other side which says she was trying to have a conversation with her mother.

This is just a fucking sad story and the sooner it leaves the "Breaking News" status on the networks, the happier I'll be.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:12 am
Superhero

Guitarp77, your a fucking dork if your comparing this woman to Jason Becker. lol And I don't want to kill anyone. I think it's cruel to keep her alive in her present state. Simple. If it was a pet you'd have put her down long ago.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:18 am
King Of The Monsters

Guitarp77, your a fucking dork if your comparing this woman to Jason Becker. lol And I don't want to kill anyone. I think it's cruel to keep her alive in her present state. Simple. If it was a pet you'd have put her down long ago.

Man, the argument you gave about feeding her was the thing I used to ironize about the stupidity of it.

I do not feel capable of judging what live should be lived or not...that´s God job, not mine.

Image Image

Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

It's so unbelievable. No one gets the TRUTH about Terri.

My conclusion is one side is lying. And I don't think it's the side that wanted a divorce, the side that openly commits adultry/poligomy, the side that won't allow for a divorce, the side that denies therapy to his wife even though a court awarded him money to pay for it and experts say therapy could significantly help her, the side that has no problem labeling his wife a plant even though she's conscious, the side that denies the wishes of loving parents and BLOOD relatives who BEG for the opportunity to love and care for Terri.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:39 pm
Godzilla

And I don't want to kill anyone. I think it's cruel to keep her alive in her present state.

What's cruel is starving someone to death. What's heartless is placing oneself in the position of judging that the life of another person is not of high enough quality to prevent you from killing him. The appropriate ethical rules for animals are not the same for people. This lady is not a plant. She’s not an animal. She is not unconscious. She is not suffering. Her only “crime” is being severely disabled, possibly due to a failed homicide. Let her be. This is murder, pure and simple.

How quckly “the right to die” turns into “the right to kill.” This is a very sad day for our civilization… and for us all.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:01 pm
Godzilla

It is very difficult to obtain accurate information ... the press generally doesn't do a very good job reporting accurate medical information (because the reporters don't have the education required to understand it, and because most of the general public wouldn't understand it even if the reporters did)...
This brings up a pet peeve of mine about American news agencies. You don't get the facts. You get garbled and misconstrued information. Every time I have seen a major news story in which technical information with which I am familiar is important to understanding the facts of the case, the major American news agencies get it wrong.

Remember the ValuJet crash? Major news agencies reported that "oxygen tanks" had been stored in the plane's baggage compartment. That is incorrect. They were "oxygen generators." Oxygen tanks are bottles made of metal or some other tough material which hold oxygen under high pressure. Oxygen generators are devices which consist of a trigger, a catalyst and a brick of potassium superoxide. They are not pressurized. They are the devices that deliver the oxygen to those oxygen masks that are supposed to drop in front of you if the plane should depressurize while at altitude. Since they are a chemical device, their operation generates heat. (The catalyst is introduced, the potassium superoxide changes its composition, releasing oxygen which allows passengers to survive in perfect safety all the way to their crash site.)

So what's the big deal? Oxygen tanks, oxygen generators--what's the difference? The difference is that oxygen tanks, when they leak out quickly, will introduce extra oxygen into the local atmosphere. They also cool off dramatically, due to the release of the pressure inside them. Oxygen generators release a lot of oxygen, too, when activated. But they also release a lot of heat. Now you have two of the three things needed to sustain a fire: heat and oxygen. The fuel was the ValuJet plane.

What happened was that someone stupidly and illegally loaded a lot of oxygen generators into the aft part of the foreward baggage compartment. Then an aircraft tire was loaded into the baggage compartment in front of the oxygen generators. When the plane took off and tilted its nose up, the tire slid back into the oxygen generators, smashing into them and setting them off. Now you have an enclosed space with a lot of oxygen, heat and fuel. Doubtless grease spontaneously combusted. The fire burned through the control cables and hydraulic lines that allowed the pilot control of her aircraft. It crashed.

American news media think you're too dumb to understand these concepts. Their reporters certainly seem to be too dumb to get it.

This is way off topic, I know, but I just had to vent a bit of the spleen I've built up about this topic. To sort of try to steer it back on course, I'll just say that you should take anything you hear, read or see on the news with a giant grain of salt.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:06 pm
Godzilla

There is no doubt Michael Scheivo is the victimizer in this story: court affidavit

AFFIDAVIT

STATE OF FLORIDA
COUNTY OF PINELLAS

BEFORE ME the undersigned authority personally appeared HEIDI LAW who being first duly sworn deposes and says:

1. My name is Heidi Law, I am over the age of 18 years, and make this statement on personal information.

2. I worked as a Certified Nursing Assistant at the Palm Gardens nursing home from March, 1997 to mid-summer of 1997. While I was employed at Palm Gardens, occasionally I took care of Theresa Schiavo. Generally, I worked the 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. shift, but occasionally also would work a double shift, until 7 a.m. the following morning.

3. At Palm Gardens, most of the patient care was provided by the CNAs, so I was in a good position to judge Terri’s condition and observe her reactions. Terri was noticeable, because she was the youngest patient at Palm Gardens.

4. I know that Terri did not receive routine physical therapy or any other kind of therapy. I was personally aware of orders for rehabilitation that were not being carried out. Even though they were ordered, Michael would stop them. Michael ordered that Terri receive no rehabilitation or range of motion therapy. I and Olga would give Terri range of motion anyway, but we knew we were endangering our jobs by doing so. We usually did this behind closed doors, we were so fearful of being caught. Our hearts would race and we were always looking out for Michael, because we knew that, not only would Michael take his anger out on us, but he would take it out more on Terri. We spoke of this many times.

5. Terri had very definite likes and dislikes. Olga and I used to call Terri “Fancy Pants,” because she was so particular about certain things. She just adored her baths, and was so happy afterward when she was all clean, smelling sweet from the lotion her mother provided, and wearing the soft nightgowns her mother laundered for her. Terri definitely did not like the taste of the teeth-cleaning swabs or the mouthwash we used. She liked to have her hair combed. She did not like being tucked in, and especially hated it if her legs were tightly tucked. You would always tell when Terri had a bowel movement, as she seem agitated and would sort of “scoot” to get away from it.

6. Every day, Terri was gotten up after lunch and sat in a chair all afternoon. When Terri was in bed, she very much preferred to lie on her right side and look out the window. We always said that she was watching for her mother. It was very obvious that her mother was her favorite person in the whole world.

7. I worked side-by-side with another CNA named Olga and could tell that she and Terri were especially close. Olga took a definite personal interest in Terri, and Terri responded to her. I could tell that Terri was very satisfied and happy with Olga’s attentions to her.

8. When Olga was talking with Terri, Terri would follow Olga with her eyes. I have no doubt in my mind that Terri understood what Olga was saying to her. I could tell a definite difference between the way Terri responded to Olga and the way she reacted to me, until she got used to my taking care of her. Initially, she “clammed up” with me, the way she would with anyone she did not know or was not familiar or comfortable with. It took about the fourth or fifth time taking care of her alone, without Olga, that Terri became relaxed and cooperative and non-resistant with me.

9. Terri reacted very well to seeing a picture of her mother, which was in her room. Many times when I came on duty it would be lying face down where she could not see it.

10. At least three times during any shift where I took care of Terri, I made sure to give Terri a wet washcloth filled with ice chips, to keep her mouth moistened. I personally saw her swallow the ice water and never saw her gag. Olga and I frequently put orange juice or apple juice in her washcloth to give her something nice to taste, which made her happy. On three or four occasions I personally fed Terri small mouthfuls of Jello, which she was able to swallow and enjoyed immensely. I did not do it more often only because I was so afraid of being caught by Michael.

11. On one occasion Michael Schiavo arrived with his girlfriend, and they entered Terri’s room together. I heard Michael tell his girlfriend that Terri was in a persistent vegetative state and was dying. After they left, Olga told me that Terri was extremely agitated and upset, and wouldn’t react to anyone. When she was upset, which was usually the case after Michael was there, she would withdraw for hours. We were convinced that he was abusing her, and probably saying cruel, terrible things to her because she would be so upset when he left.

12. In the past, I have taken care of comatose patients, including those in a persistent vegetative state. While it is true that those patients will flinch or make sounds occasionally, they don’t do it as a reaction to someone on a constant basis who is taking care of them, the way I saw Terri do.

13. I witnessed a priest visiting Terri a couple of times. Terri would become quiet when he prayed with her. She couldn’t bow her head because of her stiff neck, but she would still try. During the prayer, she would keep her eyes closed, opening them afterward. She laughed at jokes he told her. I definitely know that Terri “is in there.”

14. The Palm Gardens staff, myself included, were just amazed that a “Do Not Resuscitate” order had been put on Terri’s chart, considering her age and her obvious cognitive awareness of her surroundings.

15. During the time I cared for Terri, she formed words. I have heard her say “mommy” from time to time, and “momma,” and she also said “help me” a number of times. She would frequently make noises like she was trying to talk. Other staff members talked about her verbalizations.

16. Several times when Michael visited Terri during my shift, he went into her room alone and closed the door. This worried me because I didn’t trust Michael. When he left, Terri was very agitated, was extremely tense with tightened fists and some times had a cold sweat. She was much less responsive than usual and would just stare out the window, her eyes kind of glassy. It would take much more time and effort than usual to work her hands open to clean her palms.

17. I was told by supervisory staff that Michael was Terri’s legal guardian, and that it didn’t matter what the parents or the doctors or nurses wanted, just do what Michael told you to do or you will lose your job. Michael would override the orders of the doctors and nurses to make sure Terri got no treatment. Among the things that Terri was deprived of by Michael’s orders were any kind of testing, dental care or stimulation. I was ordered by my supervisors to limit my time with Terri. I recall telling my supervisor that Terri seemed abnormally warm to the touch. I was told to pull her covers down, rather than to take her temperature. As far as I know, Terri never left her room. The only stimulation she had was looking out the window and watching things, and the radio, which Michael insisted be left on one particular station. She had a television, and there was a sign below it saying not to change the channel. This was because of Michael’s orders.

18. As a CNA, I wanted every piece of information I could get about my patients. I never had access to medical records as a CNA, but it was part of my job duties to write my observations down on sheets of paper, which I turned over to the nurse at the nurses station for inclusion in the patients charts. In the case of Terri Schiavo, I felt that my notes were thrown out without even being read. There were trash cans at the nurses stations that we were supposed to empty each shift, and I often saw the notes in them. I made extensive notes and listed all of Terri’s behaviors, but there was never any apparent follow up consistent with her responsiveness.

19. I discussed this situation with other personnel at Palm Gardens, particularly with Olga, and another CNA, an older black man named Ewan Morris. We all discussed the fact that we could be fired for reporting that Terri was responsive, and especially for giving her treatment. The advice among the staff was “don’t do nothin’, don’t see nothin’ and don’t say nothin’.” It was particularly distressing that we always had to be afraid that if Michael got upset, he would take his anger out on Terri.

20. I recall an incident when Olga became very upset because Terri started to get a sore spot, because it might lead to a bedsore. Michael was told about it but didn’t seem to care. He didn’t complain about it all, in fact, saying “she doesn’t know the difference.” When Terri would get a UTI or was sick, Michael’s mood would improve.

FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH NAUGHT.

Heidi Law, Affiant

STATE OF FLORIDA
COUNTY OF PINELLAS

Sworn to and subscribed before me this day of September, 2003, by HEIDI LAW, who produced a Florida Driver’s License as identification.

Notary Public
My Commission expires:

Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:30 pm
Godzilla

Michael Schiavo is 6'-3" tall and weighs 250-pounds. Here is reported evidence of abuse concerning Terri: Terri's medical records show multiple broken bones. When she collapsed in 1990 he failed to perform CPR. He has had her medical records sealed -- even from Terri's parents. Seven months after receiving $1.3-million for Terri's medical care, Michael prohibited antibiotics for infection which could have killed Terri (1993 & 1995). Despite medical records and witness reports that Terri is responsive, Michael has not allowed therapy since receiving the cash. He has prevented swallowing tests, despite medical testimony that Terri can be taught to eat. Ordered caretakers not to clean Terri's teeth (five teeth removed in 2004). Since 2000, refuses to allow Terri to leave her room. Refuses to fix her wheelchair. Orders the window shades down at all times in Terri's room, denying natural sunlight. Removed family photos from Terri's room, denies flowers, won't allow her to hear music. Won't allow visitors unless approved by him. Denied visits by her parents for eight-months. Denies all requests for Terri to attend nursing home functions and refuses to allow therapeutic animals to visit, knowing she is an animal lover.
http://www.advancedhealthplan.com/terri.html

Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next