View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Question About Scotts Kit 
Motorman

Post Question About Scotts Kit
does anyone know if scott uses triggers on his kit at all?? and if so where??

Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:19 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Question About Scotts Kit
MaTT wrote:

Bass drums. Go-GG-Go is a good example.

Regards,
Ken

Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:37 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

BTW...Live...almost everyone uses them...specifically on the bass drum. Anton Fig uses them live on the freaking Letterman show...you can see them...or at least I did notice them one night.

Regards,
Ken

Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:38 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

cool....i figured most drummers use them on bass drum....i was wondering if he used them on snare and toms too....

Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:31 am
Site Admin

I've asked him about them....Ie: he didn't use triggers on SOD. He never mentioned the other drums...I will ask though.

Regards,
Ken

Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:44 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

I've asked him about them....Ie: he didn't use triggers on SOD. He never mentioned the other drums...I will ask though.

kuul kuul kuul, and please tell him he play's the drum's UN-FREAKINGLY
CASUAL with CLASS and he's just a BADASS!!!! 8)

Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:54 am
Motorman

my friend told me that he must have triggers on SOD because he played so fast.....the into to scarified to be exact.......i didnt think he used them on SOD

Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:40 pm
Site Admin

my friend told me that he must have triggers on SOD because he played so fast.....the into to scarified to be exact.......i didnt think he used them on SOD

He did NOT use triggers on SOD. Triggers don't help you play any faster, so that argument from your buddy is MOOT. They only give you a consistent sound.

Regards,
Ken

Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:46 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

BTW...Live...almost everyone uses them...

Hmmmm..... I'm not too sure that is a valid statement. In fact, no band or professional drummer that I know here in Chicago uses them. I know for a fact that any soundman worth his salt will laugh at the notion of using them live. There's not too many trigger systems that can beat the warmth of an analog mike, especially ones for kick drums. Listen to Images and Words by Dream Theater. Try to tell me the drums sound good.

Thats what triggered drums sound like --- GARBAGE.

IF (and thats a big if) drum triggers are ever used on a live setup, kick drums will be the only logical drum. There's one sound from the drum (for the most part) and one place the drum is struck. Consistency is good in this case. Dig It! But, if your snare is triggered and you want to lay some ghost note shuffle or a subtle buzz roll here and there... guess what. You're gonna sound like a machine gun all night.

I'm willing to bet Scott didn't use triggers of any kind on GH, and that GO GG GO bass sound is the result of the many efx Paul has to play with.

Then again, what the fuq do I know?

Triggers blow,
RJ

Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:23 am
Viking Kong

Actually Ardge, I kind of liked the sound of the drums from Images and Words. They were really mixed in well with the song. Not too loud, not too soft. I like it where the bass drum can be heard as a punchy 'thunk', and I sorta like my drums flat anyway.

My dad HATES how flat drums sound... I have to live with that when I play his 30 year old Gretch.

Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:33 am
Site Admin

Hmmmm..... I'm not too sure that is a valid statement. In fact, no band or professional drummer that I know here in Chicago uses them.

It's valid according to Scott. Watch Letterman...Anton Fig is ALWAYS triggered.

Quote:
I know for a fact that any soundman worth his salt will laugh at the notion of using them live.

Well. Laugh away, cause Scott's bass drums are triggered on EV I/II and he was pissed they weren't triggered on SOD...and you can tell.

Quote:
There's not too many trigger systems that can beat the warmth of an analog mike, especially ones for kick drums. Listen to Images and Words by Dream Theater. Try to tell me the drums sound good.

Not according to what Scott is looking for. When Scott explained it to me...Playing live...the sound is too inconsistent for him. This way, the sound the drum is making, is the perfect sound he wants...played perfectly, every single night.

Quote:

Then you obviously don't like any of Scott's drumming....because the majority of what you hear, is triggered.

Quote:
I'm willing to bet Scott didn't use triggers of any kind on GH, and that GO GG GO bass sound is the result of the many efx Paul has to play with.

Wrong. Jeff explains Go-GG-Go.

http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=254

Quote:
Triggers blow,
RJ

That's your opinion. Scott's view is different.

Regards,
Ken

Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:48 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

What are triggers...?

Triggers are pre-recorded drum sounds. In Scott's case....He has a recording of the EXACT precise sound that he wants out of his kick drum. The triggers are attached to the drum, so when the pedal hits the drum, the trigger plays the pre-recorded bass drum sound. It's still you playing, but the sound that you hear live or recorded, isn't live...it's you from a studio.

It's especially useful, when you play really fast double bass....so the sound is particularly consistent. You don't have to worry...is the "pillow" or newspaper...or whatever you use in your kick drum set the same way every night...

Listen to EV1 and SOD....you can hear the difference. EV1 Triggered/ SOD not. I'll bet anything, that SOD II is triggered.

Ardge is right...having your snare or toms triggered is dumb, since you have no dynamics...you may as well play synth drums.

Regards,
Ken

Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:54 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

Ardge wrote:
Hmmmm..... I'm not too sure that is a valid statement. In fact, no band or professional drummer that I know here in Chicago uses them.

It's valid according to Scott. Watch Letterman...Anton Fig is ALWAYS triggered.

Quote:
I know for a fact that any soundman worth his salt will laugh at the notion of using them live.

Well. Laugh away, cause Scott's bass drums are triggered on EV I/II and he was pissed they weren't triggered on SOD...and you can tell.

Quote:
There's not too many trigger systems that can beat the warmth of an analog mike, especially ones for kick drums. Listen to Images and Words by Dream Theater. Try to tell me the drums sound good.

Not according to what Scott is looking for. When Scott explained it to me...Playing live...the sound is too inconsistent for him. This way, the sound the drum is making, is the perfect sound he wants...played perfectly, every single night.

Quote:

Then you obviously don't like any of Scott's drumming....because the majority of what you hear, is triggered.

Quote:

Wrong. Jeff explains Go-GG-Go.

http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=254

Quote:
Triggers blow,
RJ

That's your opinion. Scott's view is different.

Thanx for tearing me apart there Ken.

Ardge

Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:08 am
Motorman

hehe......ya with triggers you can pound the hell out of the bass drum with low force..which will be easier to go faster...yet still produce a loud enough sound to hear....some people call it cheating

Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:51 pm
Site Admin

hehe......ya with triggers you can pound the hell out of the bass drum with low force..which will be easier to go faster...yet still produce a loud enough sound to hear....some people call it cheating

For lesser players....Exactly. Some people need that...Scott's just as fast with or without them. I didn't know much about them, till I asked Scott about them....for him...he said live and especially when recording...it's the best sounding bass drum.

Regards,
Ken

Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

It seems triggers on bass drums would be especially useful for me, since I have a hard time keeping consistant. I either pound on the kicker too hard or too soft and things get all off set.

How are they used? What kind of modules do I need to set them up?

Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:12 am
Dr. X

Post Re: Question About Scotts Kit
KenHower wrote:
MaTT wrote:

Bass drums. Go-GG-Go is a good example.

And, Ken, can you ask to Scott what kind of equipment he use for triggerin' his bass drums???

Pleasssssseeeee!!!!!!! :D

Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:44 am
Site Admin

I will...I believe Scott's on vacation...but i'll ask.

Regards,
Ken

Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Well, I too heard that triggers are like cheating.

just think: if the sound is inconsistent, that's because the drummer isn't playing it right, and by right, I mean it like if a guitar player is playing sloppy notes.

I'm pretty sure Scott doesn't need them, and I like the sound of live drums better.

I'm pretty sure Neil Peart neither Mike Portnoy use them, and I love their drumming.

what do u guys think?

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:12 pm
Profile YIM
King Of The Monsters

As long as it sounds good, its not a problem for me.

But I agree with Robin...its like pre-recording the hard solo so it wont sound shitty live...

Image Image

Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next