View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Acoustic Problem 
God Of The Sun

Post Acoustic Problem
Well, I've got my Ibanez in the shop right now getting my DiMarzios installed (of course I don't trust myself with that, you crazy :P) and the only other guitar I've got with me at the moment is my first guitar, an Alvaretz acoustic. I haven't played this thing in a while, and my dad had been borrowing it for the longest time. I get it back and it's got an EXTREME buzz on the 1st (high e) string, and a slight buzz on the 2nd. I'm no guitar repair guy, but I have tried looking at everything that I think could be a problem, and I'm stumped. not only does the string buzz, but it also isn't in tune when played OPEN (and open only. everything else on the string is in tune, and the buzz is also gone. the problems just occur on the open string) The only thing I can think of is either... new strings, or a new plastic thing (what's that thing called? the thing where the neck ends and the headstock begins :oops: :oops: ) on the headstock.

What d'you guys think? It's been a while since I've played acoustic, and i'm just sitting here playing the solo to To Be With you over and over again. :D

Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:42 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

the intonation is off. and the nut may be worn down or the neck could have a little bow. Your prolly gonna have to take it to a luthier and tell him whats going on and hell re adjust the bridge and such. he'll prolly but a new saddle on. It wont be cheap so id say get someone to look at it before you take it and get iot overhauled.
Another thing you should think about is if the guitar is worth spending an assload of money on to get it fixed.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
Motorman

change the strings first off......sometimes old strings dont vibrate properly, and seem to cause bad intonation.....for me anyway

*looks at jem......."i'll change you soon!!" *

Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:40 am
Dr. X

Yeah dude, like Dead Roman said, the "nut" (which is the piece that you we're referring to) mught need replacing, and the saddle at the bridge might have to be shaved a little....I'm sure the local guitar shop can give you advice for free if you can't figure it out.... Good luck 8)

Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:13 pm
Motorman

Change the strings. You may have to experiment with different gauges to get it right. I always thought my Alverez sucked and was untunable until I put .010s on it. Now it sounds great and stays in tune.

Also, if all else fails and you still have string buzz, you may have to adjust the truss rod. It's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Just do it 1/4 turn at a time.

Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]