View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 ibanez guitars 

what is your favorite signature guitar?
Paul Gilbert Ibanez 47%  47%  [ 16 ]
Steve Vai Jem (Ibanez) 35%  35%  [ 12 ]
Joe Satriani JS (Ibanez) 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Jeff Beck Strat 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Eric Clapton Strat 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Randy Rhoads (Jackson) 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Rusty Cooley (7-string Jackson) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Kirk Hammett (ESP) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Brian May 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Tonni Iommi SG 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 34

ibanez guitars 
Promises to use Search button

Post ibanez guitars
is it just me or is the steve vai jem, the paul gilbert signature, and ibanez RG the same thing? sure they have minor cosmetic differences (f-holes, monkey handle, reverse headstock), but other than that they are carbon copies of each other!! what's the big deal?!?!

Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:44 pm
Golden God

Post Re: ibanez guitars
Geoffery wrote:
is it just me or is the steve vai jem, the paul gilbert signature, and ibanez RG the same thing? sure they have minor cosmetic differences (f-holes, monkey handle, reverse headstock), but other than that they are carbon copies of each other!! what's the big deal?!?!

You may be right....but I love my pgm100!!!!

Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:56 pm
Profile WWW

The jem has a tree of life, jeff. The PG and RG not to mention the JS don't have trees of life.

Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:11 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Rusty has a signature Jackson? I thought it was just a custom job.

Feeding The Addiction - Melodic Rock

Chris is an Australian Mesa/Boogie artist

Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:56 am
Profile YIM WWW
Motorman

The RG´s have no DiMarzio´s....

Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:19 am
Profile ICQ
God Of The Sun

Sorry, my favorite is the Steve Vai Universe. Wish yall had it on there. i guess ill pu tmy vote for the jem.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:20 am
Profile YIM WWW
Motorman

I love my PGM 500!!!! 8)

The RG´s have no DiMarzio´s....

oh excuse...what am i saying..... :oops: The expensive RG´s also have DiMarzios....

Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:23 am
Profile ICQ
Dr. X

Post Re: ibanez guitars
Geoffery wrote:

Type of wood used, bridge styles and pups are also different between the models. Also the neck type and wiring are different on most of the PGMs. Honestly though what did you expect from a signature guitar? You want every signature guitar to be a totally unique body style? More often than not the signature guitars are only unique in how they are setup. Fender for example has a dozen signature series guitars that all look like strats and teles.

Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:26 am

my idea of a signature guitar has always been something more along the lines of brian may's and jerry garcia's (which i forgot to put on the poll). sure, guitar makers like fender and gibson are going do use their classic designs for signature guitars, but ibanez, who speciallizes in super strats and doesn't have a well recognized universal model, should at least incorporate some creativity in their signatures. my suspicion is that paul gilbert just wanted a jem, but to make it stand out he gave it unique paint job and reverse headstock. i'm not saying copycat guitars like the PGM are bad (it's a jem for christ's sakes!), i just ask where's the creativity in signature guitars these days?

Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:20 am

the way i see it is that the f-holes rule too much. I think that when paul gilbert was thinking of guitar designs he was thinking "okay. . . . what would rule the most? Maybe a tree of life? no too gay. . . dipped in chrome? nah too shiny, though chrome does rule, but you can't write applause on it. . . O yeah i got it . . . F HOLES!!!!!!!!!!! RRAAAWWWWKKK!"

Ok later shred heads

Ed

Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:23 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

the way i see it is that the f-holes rule too much. I think that when paul gilbert was thinking of guitar designs he was thinking "okay. . . . what would rule the most? Maybe a tree of life? no too gay. . . dipped in chrome? nah too shiny, though chrome does rule, but you can't write applause on it. . . O yeah i got it . . . F HOLES!!!!!!!!!!! RRAAAWWWWKKK!"

Ok later shred heads

Ed

I always thought F holes were cool. When I saw the painted ones, to blend in the knobs...I thought WHOA...that's really cool.

Regards,
Ken

Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:26 am
Profile WWW

what's the big deal about the f-holes?!?! newsflash ednakayama- THEY'RE PAINTED ON!!! NOT EVEN REAL!!! f-holes sound like something yngwie malmsteen would do to boost his would "neo-classical-shred" image.

some other great signature guitars that i forgot to put on the poll that kick ass are the john pettrucci musicman and EVH wolfgang. two perfect examples of creative sig guitar designs.

Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:32 am

NEWSFLASH, Jeff. You haven't played ANY of those guitars, and even if you have, you wouldn't appreciate their differences, Mr. "I think i'm van halen cause i can tap triplets". Another thing, the fact that the f-holes ARE painted on makes them even cooler.

Jeff: "yeah the peavey wolfgang totally rocks!!! I mean, just LOOK at it, it must ROCK cause it looks a little different"

Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:39 am
Profile WWW

ed, i'm talking simply from a design standpoint. i am not stating my preferences.

Ed: "look at me i think i'm randy rhoads because i can play the crazy train solo with the wrong notes and tap the last one at the end of the solo."

Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:47 am

NEWSFLASH jeff, you are stating your preferences:

Quote:
some other great signature guitars that i forgot to put on the poll that kick ass are the john pettrucci musicman and EVH wolfgang. two perfect examples of creative sig guitar designs.

design is much more than that which meets the eye. You can't experience a guitar through the pictures in my hand-me-down magazines, Jeff. I mean, seriously, did you get below a 1400 on the SAT of something, Jeffrey?

Regards,

Ed

Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:55 am
Profile WWW

no i'm not stating my preferences. did i say, "i prefer to play the EVH wolfgang?" well did i? NO! all i said was that the design was creative. THAT'S ALL! is this russia or something? quit putting words in my mouth.

Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:08 am
Dr. X

Of course I picked the PGM....Why, you say, well the beautiful Maple Neck, and the simple design....The F Holes are kuul, and Paul likes tearing it up on those hollow bodies that have real F holes, and they are just beautiful sounding not even plugged in (The hollow bodies)!! I believe that is why he had them painted on his Sig....******ALSO****** The PGM300 IS THE EXACT same guitar (cept. for the "Tree of Life" inlay and reverse headstock) as the JEM77FP (Floral JEM), AND the PGM300 is around $600 cheaper!!!!!
PLUS, we are talking about PAUL GILBERT!! Need I say more?? No....
Thank-you very much....Buy Buy (Said very quickly with an accent)
:twisted:

Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:19 am

The differences between the Jem/RG/PGM models are many.
- The necks differ in dimensions and woods.
- Different body woods,
- The tremolo systems are different (will be the same from 2003->).
- The pickups.
- Another difference is the capacitors used on the different models.

After all, the RG is a cheaper model of the Jem. And why some PGM has the Jem body shape I don't know. But they are three different models, although many similarities. And the good old Jem is still the best for me.

Regards

Euph

Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:51 pm
Dr. X

what's the big deal about the f-holes?!?! newsflash ednakayama- THEY'RE PAINTED ON!!! NOT EVEN REAL!!! f-holes sound like something yngwie malmsteen would do to boost his would "neo-classical-shred" image.

Every signature guitar you like is one I think is butt ugly. The EVH, the JP MM are two of the ugliest guitars I have ever seen (body shape and headstock). As I (and a couple of others) have already stated and which you have plainly ignored the PGM isn't only different in how it is painted. It is setup differently from an RG. As is a JEM. If it helps you sleep better at night think of the PGM, JPM, and JEM models as highend RGs. With features and setups based upon the artists who endorse them's preferences.

Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:59 pm
Site Admin

If it helps you sleep better at night think of the PGM, JPM, and JEM models as highend RGs. With features and setups based upon the artists who endorse them's preferences.

That's my understanding.

Regards,
Ken

Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next