View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 On the search for a new axe... (ZR tremolo plug) + need help 
Superhero

Post On the search for a new axe... (ZR tremolo plug) + need help
So I'm looking for the impossible.

A guitar with a backrouted floyd (decent floyd, not accepting any less than an OFR, high end Ibanez or Schaller) and neck that isn't paper thin. The fatter the better basically. Price range; about £500 but I'm willing to spend more... could probably go to £800 max if it was worth it (I want to start putting away for an amp as well).

I played -

S/H Jackson something or other (strat shaped, H/S/H jacko floyd).. neck made me feel like a retard (couldn't play properly on the thing?!?!?), didn't like the trem, pups were some EMG's though.. they sounded alright.

LTD Kirk Hammet sig - thicker neck on this one, but it was painted. Didn't like the feel of it tbh, put it down fairly quickly.. Someone tell Kirk those skull n' crossbones inlays look shite.. (imo of course)

Ibanez S520EX - Neck seemed a bit on the thin side still, but I didn't mind it actually. The body is very thin round the edges which is a bit annoying for the first few minutes, but then you get used to it. The guitar sounded ok, I'd probably swap the pups out for ones with more character..

But what really impressed me was the trem. It's very smooth and responsive, which is great for me because I like using a light touch on a trem. It held up it's tuning well (I'd expect no less from a double locking system)

So I've found one axe I liked.. now I need more stuff to check out.

Basically the criteria is the same as mentioned before

- Backrouted floyd (good quality one)
- Neck that isn't extremely skinny (this seems to be the hardest part..)
- 22 or 24 frets no real preference.
- Preferably strat shaped but would consider others
- H/H or H/S/H setup, pickup brand not a problem as I'll probably swap them
- Willing to spend up to £800, but would prefer to keep it around £500
- Big frets
- Maple neck, not arsed whether it's rosewood/maple/ebony board.
- Must be comfortable to play seated, and hang nicely on a strap (no headstock divers!)
- S/H or new not an issue

Cheers for any help.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]