View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Any advice for a new teacher? 
God Of The Sun

Post Any advice for a new teacher?
A kid in my neighborhood I know just called me this morning and asked if I could give him some lessons. I'm not really close friends with him or anything, but I didn't wanna leave him hangin' and it was a bit of a compliment that he wanted to take lessons from me, so of course I said sure.
Since I haven't had a teacher myself for the last 4 years( onnly , I've basically been learning everything but all that technical theory stuff. I'm still foggy when it comes to notation, sight reading, modes, etc. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'm getting a teacher myself to learn the parts of theory that i'm clueless or unsure of. Anyways, i'm not saying I'm an unfit teacher. My dad's friend called me a prodigy the other day, I 'dunno if that's too accurate or not ( I'm 15, by the way ) :oops: . But anyways, I've got about 5 years experience (especially the last 3 1/2 years, i've practiced as many hours as possible until my body just gives out) so I do consider myself a decent teacher for him, since he's just starting out.
Anyway, with that nonsense said, what do you guys reccomend I start out teaching him with? I remember my first teacher just taught me basic chords, scales, and whatnot. That a good way to go, or do you guys have some better ideas? At the end of our conversation, he told me he was gonna pay me, so that's a definite plus (i was gonna do 'em for free. :roll: ) so I don't wanna be a half-ass teacher. Lemme know what you guys think.

Thanks.

Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:31 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

You should teach him the basic chords and then the minor pentatonic scale and some bends, so he can solo over pretty much any song and it will boost his confidence that he can solo.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:49 am
Profile YIM WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Ok, there are a number of ways to do this, and I may leave something out, but here's one approach you might try.

If he's a complete beginner, the first thing would be to explain a bit of the nomenclature of guitar. "This is a pickup, this thing is called a headstock, these are frets, this is a bridge," etc...

Next, if he has a tuner or a reference note generator, teach him to tune (presumably to A440). At the same time, he'll be learning the names of the strings.

Then, you can teach him the proper way to fret a note, the appropriate amount of pressure, and so on, as well as how to pick (or fingerpick) the note in question.

Finally, for a first lesson, you could start on some chords. Most people have heard the "Do-re-mi-fa..." sing-song version of the major scale. If he's familiar with that, you could use it as a starting point to teach him major chords. Learning occurs when you relate something you don't know to something you know, after all, and you could say, "DO is the root, and this chord is made this way..." This is the launchpad later to teach the names of each degree, e.g. "leading tone, root," and so on.

Reading standard notation can come later, if he is interested, but for the sake of being able to latch onto something immediately and start training himself, teach him to read tablature. Then you can take a few minutes to show him some websites with guitar-related information like theory and tab on them. If he's into rock, show him the Racer X site. If he's not, eh... show him the Racer X site ;)

Next, you can show him 64th note, wide-interval arps. No, wait, that's next lesson :D

The idea is, if he is a beginner, you want to pass along enough info that he feels like he learned something, but at the same time, you don't want playing guitar well to come across as unattainable. Also, the lesson should focus on the student's needs, not how impressive the instructor's playing skills are. That said, you might spend some time between lessons raising your own level of understanding on the instrument, so you continue to have info to pass along in a relevant, understandable way. Some teachers get in the way of learning, it seems. If you open s few doors and help keep the student's interest level up instead, you've done a lot.

Hope this helps.

Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

My advice would be for you to seek one of my ex-students to take from. Michael Banbury at Street Wise Guitar and take some lessons. He's very much into Gilbert, Vai, Malmsteen or other high tech players. I stopped teaching in Charllote in April or I would like you to take from me. At 15, there's alot to be learned. Good luck.

Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:45 am
Dr. X

Very good info guy's....If I could add....Throw in some easy scales also, so he can feel like he is actually doing something, and show him how to warmup!! Very important, as we all know....Emphasize the Metronome early on, and also, burn into his head that to play something fast, he must first play it slow....Perfectly, and then gradually pick up speed along the way....
Then, on the close of the first Lesson you definately need to let him hear your influences....Mr. Gilbert would be a fine start!! 8) ....Then show him the Melody Master Joe Satriani, lol 8)
And most of all....Have fun!! 8) 8)

Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:46 am
is evil...Evil Joe

BTW, if you contact Streetwise Guitar ask for Michael only. I know this post was regarding you teaching someone, but I thought you could get some tips from Michael after noticing you are in Charlotte.

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:37 pm
God Of The Sun

BTW, if you contact Streetwise Guitar ask for Michael only. I know this post was regarding you teaching someone, but I thought you could get some tips from Michael after noticing you are in Charlotte.

That's great info, I'm glad you actually gave me this guys name, I'm looking for a new teacher as well. I've never heard of Streetwise Guitar though, is it a shop, or is it like a school or something here in Charlotte? Really weird the name doesn't ring a bell. I used to take lessons back at Music Go Round when they first opened like, 5 or 6 years ago.

Scratch that, I found the website of the place. It's in Indian Trail, that's not far at all. I used to go over there to the skating rink a lot when I was like, 10. ;x Should I tell him you reffered me to him?

Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:09 pm
Profile YIM
is the Siren's Eye

Dont force your own influences on him, ask him what kind of music HE likes then teach him a song that he digs - that way he immediately can apply the knowledge you give him to something that he genuniely enjoys. No Racer X for beginners, that'll just intimidate him. A classic rocking tune which doesnt require hard techniques is what beginners need.

Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:52 am
is evil...Evil Joe

I emailed Michael's # to you. I hope this helps out.

Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:07 pm
Godzilla

Right now I have 9 students! Remember, do not overcharge them!!!! I have a pretty good system going on right now. I started out charging $10 for 45 minutes. That was limiting to the number of students I could get, and the money that I was making. So I changed the giving 30 minute lessons for $8. I attracted more students because of the price! I make more now because of the increase in students!!!! $72 a week towards the guitar fund is pretty awesome!!!! :twisted:

As far as teaching, I teach the beginners all the beginning stuff! Start with basic major and minor cords! VERY IMPORTANT THAT THEY KNOW HOW TO SIT AND HOLD THE PICK!!!! I always have a problem with how some of them hold the pick! Make sure that there left arm isn't sitting on there knee and there guitar isn't laying flat on there legs! IT REALLY BUGS THE PISS OUT OF ME WHEN THEY DO THAT!!!! (It is a very lazy possision to be in!)

Half my students want to come in a learn nothing but System of a Down! That really pisses me off! 100% of the time I will tell them that that is not what I teach!

My #1 rule:

YOU HAVE TO KNOW THE BASICS OF GUITAR BEFORE YOU CAN PLAY SONGS!!!!!!!

I had a student that came in the other day and said that he hated doing cords and sales! He said that he didn't want to know that stuff and just learn songs! (System of a Down, Mudvayne, Punk Music, etc.) The kid is 14 and is really hard to get through to!

Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:29 pm
is the Siren's Eye

Dont want to start a flame war here but i always thought that simple songs were the basics of guitar, with scales and theory coming later.

Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:15 pm
Godzilla

You can play alots of songs with those. I learned to play "To be with you" (except for the solo) in first week I started playing. Nothing is more attractive to beginners then being able to play ANY songs.

Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]