View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 27  Next
 The Laney/Marshall Thread 
is the Siren's Eye

sure is light compared to the Mesa Roadster
not sure if I like the drive channel all that much
it gets a little shrill and a lot bright

after the Boogie that was supposed to be everything I was looking for and more, I'm thinkin gof going the pedal route this time

Both channels sound incredible until you start adding too much natural gain from the amp, so I've put the Boss DS1 with Keeley Ultra mod at the top of my list for christmas. all ibn all I think this ones a keeper....

yeah I said that about the roadster too....

Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:11 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Plus I would like to experiment with the preamp tubes.

I am looking to smooth out the sound and reduce the brightness (shrill)

The GH50L I bought back in the late 96/97 came with sovtek 5881s and no-name preamp tubes (probably chinese).

I read on the boards that the GH50L they sell today come with EL34s.
What brand output and preamp tubes are they sticking in there now?
Any suggestions on tubes and what sound to expect?

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:46 pm
is the Siren's Eye

haha

had it a whole 7 days (see second last post)

although the clean channel was amazing the dirty channel sucked and I tried 5 or 10 different drive pedalsbut couldn;t coax out a tone I was happy with

on the bright side

I got my roadster back from repair and man it kicks ass (almost 3 months without it working the way it should) and I now have $1100 store credit to eat away at

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:33 am
Promises to use Search button

Hi, new here and this is my first post! Love Laneys and love Racer X/Gilbert!

I recently got a GH50L and love it, sounds great for anything I play through it. I wonder if someone can help me with speaker choices for it though. I have a vertical 2x12 with an Eminence Legend 121 speaker in the top part and a G12H in the bottom. I'm looking to replace the Legend with a new speaker with more mids and more of an "old school" hard rock/metal tone. Anyone use V30s with their Laneys? Does it sound too bright/harsh with a bright amp such as a Laney?

Thanks!

Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:09 am
Superhero

How does the gh50l sound at bedroom levels? and how loud can it be?

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:01 pm

Its very loud, even through my 2x12 it sounds massive :D

I wouldnt say it sounds amazing at bedroom levels without an attenuator, you need to get the output valves working a bit to make it sound at its best.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:58 pm
Superhero

I have a Mesa dual rec right now, and it sounds awsome, but only when CRANKED. At bedroom levels its crap and i cant record it because i cant crank it at home.

would you say the gh50l would be better at lower volumes? I can crank it a bit at home but not enough to get my dual rippin.

does anyone have low volume recordings of it?

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:18 am
Superhero

Well, I hit up the Guitar Center today, to check out a Crate Power Block (Which I bought, its pretty cool for what it is. . .I mean. . I paid freakin $69 for it, and its a 150w amp!)

Anyways, the place was packed and making me quite mad. (well, sat. afternoon GC visits are just asking for headaches)

ANYways, I took a look around.

First thing I see were TWO Laney Pro Tube Lead heads like the one I own, on top of an old AOR series Laney 4x10 cab. I was like "WOW, I've never seen this many Laney's in one place!"

Then, I rounded the corner, and nearly shit myself.

FINALLY.

DAMN!

It took long enough. . . I've been waiting for about 2 years or so to finally find one. . . a NEW LANEY! :shock: :shock: :shock: 8)

(well, it was used, but it was the first Laney I had seen that wasn't a Pro Tube)

It was a GH100TI head on a GS412IA (Slant) cabinet.

It was really . . . .really cool. I like my Pro Tube, but. . damn. . .the GH100TI is just great! The Pro Tube is very much like a JCM 800 with more gain, kinda loose overdrive. The GH100Ti was TIGHT, Punchy, with killer sustain.

I loved it, man it was great.

They wanted $699 for the whole halfstack, head and cab. I think its a pretty good deal. . but. . .I think I may save my money for a VH100R, which would get me some clean sounds.

But. . damn . . .its so tempting. . .because I have the money to buy it.

ARG!!! :lol:

Charvel Model 1A
Greco/DiMarzio Parts Guitar

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:39 am
God Of The Sun

Single channel amps are cool but annoying!

Hey check this out! In the US!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Laney-Amp-GH50L-wit ... dZViewItem

Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:16 pm
Godzilla

Well, I hit up the Guitar Center today... ...It took long enough. I've been waiting for about 2 years or so to finally find one: a NEW LANEY! It was a GH100TI head on a GS412IA (Slant) cabinet. The GH100Ti was TIGHT, Punchy, with killer sustain. I loved it, man it was great. They wanted $699 for the whole halfstack, head and cab. I think its a pretty good deal. . but. . .I think I may save my money for a VH100R, which would get me some clean sounds.

YOU EEDIOTT! YOU FAT, BLOATED, DISGUSTING FOOL, YOU! Call that Guitar Center right this very instant and ask them if that rig is still there. If it is, get your silly ass there as quickly as you ever possibly can and BUY IT! If you want Paul Gilbert-like tone, that's where you're going to find it. Especially with your RG-550. I'm serious. Listen to Superheroes or Technical Difficulties and then take your RG down to the Guitar Center and plug into that rig. You'll thank me later.

Last edited by Okamiyama on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:37 pm
Superhero

RAR! wrote:
Well, I hit up the Guitar Center today... ...It took long enough. I've been waiting for about 2 years or so to finally find one: a NEW LANEY! It was a GH100TI head on a GS412IA (Slant) cabinet. The GH100Ti was TIGHT, Punchy, with killer sustain. I loved it, man it was great. They wanted $699 for the whole halfstack, head and cab. I think its a pretty good deal. . but. . .I think I may save my money for a VH100R, which would get me some clean sounds.

YOU EEDIOTT! YOU FAT, BLOATED, DISGUSTING FOOL, YOU! Call that Guitar Center right this very instant and ask them if that rig is still there. If it is, get you silly ass there as quickly as you ever possibly can and BUY IT! If you want Paul Gilbert-like tone, that's where you're going to find it. Especially with your RG-550. I'm serious. Listen to Superheroes or Technical Difficulties and then take your RG down to the Guitar Center and plug into that rig. You'll thank me later.

I'm just reluctant to do anything, because I really want a VH100R, and I hear that the Laney cabs aren't the best. I dont really wanna settle on the GH100TI because its there and its a good deal.

Charvel Model 1A

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:40 pm
Godzilla

At least try it with your RG. Then you'll know. Unless you don't want to know...

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:02 pm
Superhero

Charvel Model 1A

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:17 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Post Re: The Laney Thread
BucketBoy wrote:
Hey guys, I'm seriously considering to buy a Laney...but unfortunately no one here stocks them so I can't try em out. I think I'm most likely to get a VH100R, or maybe a GH50L. My only question about the GH's is if I can switch from clean to dirty with the footswitch. I know its a single channel amp, but I want at least some clean/dirty switching ability. So how do you guys like your Laney?

My best friend has the GH100L that I sold him a few years back. The switching adds an extra stage of gain so that if your gain is maxed and you hit the switch it drops the gain down to that of like a JCM 800. If you use a pedal to drive the lower setting you can get it pretty clean.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:54 pm
Profile WWW

Single channel amps are cool but annoying!

Hey check this out! In the US!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Laney-Amp-GH50L-wit ... dZViewItem

I wouldnt say annoying, just different. Once you've got used to rolling down the guitars volume to get different levels of drive you wont want to go back! Well I know I dont anyway :D

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:24 pm
Godzilla

I'm just getting into the market for amps, and I am of course looking at Laneys. My budget at the moment won't allow me to get a head or anything, but are Laney's combo amps good? Which one should I be looking at?

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:50 am
Superhero

I'm just getting into the market for amps, and I am of course looking at Laneys. My budget at the moment won't allow me to get a head or anything, but are Laney's combo amps good? Which one should I be looking at?

They're pretty good.

I would try to find an old VC50 combo. Basically a VH100R in combo form. :)

Charvel Model 1A

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:53 am
Godzilla

Would a VC30 work well enough? Or should I just tough it out and wait?

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:34 am
Superhero

Would a VC30 work well enough? Or should I just tough it out and wait?

Do you like EL84 amps?

You should go try some before you make a decision.

I dont like them much for distorted tones, they sound kinda squished, I dont know how else to say it.

Charvel Model 1A

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:36 am
Godzilla

Call me a noob, but I'm not quite sure about the EL84's. I've tried almost EVERY amp at my local Guitar Center (Line 6, Crate, Peavey, Marshall, Fender, Vox) and I honestly couldn't get that tone I desire with any of them. I'm after that elusive Gilberto tone, but then I'll add my own little twist on it, I figured a Laney would work best, but since I heard their cabs aren't the best and I can't really afford that stuff at the moment, I was just gonna go for a combo.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 27  Next