View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 27  Next
 The Laney/Marshall Thread 
Dr. X

Last edited by m0p on Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:25 pm
Motorman

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:14 am
Profile YIM WWW
Dr. X

Last edited by m0p on Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:39 pm
Superhero

Im looking to hear from somebody who has played BOTH an old AOR head AND a newer GH100 head.

Specwise, the GH100 seems to me like an updated AOR, with the whole single channel w/ footswitchable gain stage setup.

I want to know, how do the old ones compare to the new ones?

Thanks!

Charvel Model 1A
Greco/DiMarzio Parts Guitar

Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:57 am
Godzilla

Hey.

Im looking to hear from somebody who has played BOTH an old AOR head AND a newer GH100 head.

Specwise, the GH100 seems to me like an updated AOR, with the whole single channel w/ footswitchable gain stage setup.

I want to know, how do the old ones compare to the new ones?

Thanks!
I had a GH100TI (the Tony Iommi signature amp) and I still have an AOR Pro-Tube 100-watter. In my opinion, they both sound great. If you want to sound like Paul, get the GH100 and an Ibanez guitar. I used an old RG-550 with mine and it had that Technical Difficulties/Superheroes sound in spades. The AOR 100 sounds quite a bit different from the GH100. It has a more old-fashioned, Marshall-like crunch sound, only heavier and beefier than a Marshall. Even heavier and beefier than a Soldano SLO. The AOR isn't as distorted as a Mesa Triple Rectifier, but it's heavier-sounding (to me) due to its awesome bass "authority." And if you want to get into Mesa-like distortion territory you can always put a distortion pedal in front of it.

From personal experience, I can recommend either amp. Which one would be better for you depends on how you want to sound.

Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:57 am
Superhero

Does the GH100 have the AOR's clarity and richness?

With the AOR, I feel like I can actually hear the string, if that makes sense, its not just a note. Its so clear, on most amps, you only hear a note, but on this amp, its got an insane acoustical quality to it, its so clear, rich, and natural, it sounds very similar to the guitar's unplugged tone.

I use a rosewood 1987 RG550 and a maple 1992 RG550 with mine :)

Gotta love those RG550s, they suit it nicely, they sound alot better than my Charvel model 1A. I plan to get some more RG550s.

Charvel Model 1A

Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:21 am
Godzilla

^That sound you described is exactly what I love about the GH series.

Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:17 pm
God Of The Sun

I'm planning on buying a GH50L but money is a bit tight so I'm thinking about buying a relativly cheap Cabinet (A Marshall MG412a) but is this really a good idea? I have next to no expirence with heads and cabinets and I don't know whether they're would be any depreication in sound quality or if it would be better to buy a Laney cab ect ect so any help? :D

Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:53 pm
Godzilla

^I'd look around on Ebay for a used 4x12 or 2x12, I myself prefer 2x12's.

I just picked up a Marshall 1922 2x12 for €200 the other week.

Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:21 pm
Superhero

A completly silly question but.....

I'm planning on buying a GH50L but money is a bit tight so I'm thinking about buying a relativly cheap Cabinet (A Marshall MG412a) but is this really a good idea? I have next to no expirence with heads and cabinets and I don't know whether they're would be any depreication in sound quality or if it would be better to buy a Laney cab ect ect so any help? :D

Dude, dont be cheap, you gotta do it right. The MG cabinet is terrible quality and has cheapass speakers.

Just get yourself a Carvin Legacy or Avatar cab with celestions and be done with it. Or maybe a Marshall 1960AV or AC, just dont get the one with G12T-75 Celestion speakers.

Speakers are a HUGE!!!!!!! part of your tone, DONT OVERLOOK THEM!!!!

Charvel Model 1A

Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:59 pm
God Of The Sun

Thanks, I might be able to get the Laney GS412a at a slightly cheaper price so I might be able to stretch for that 8)

Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:47 pm
God Of The Sun

Speakers are huge, I remember when I bought my ampeg cab with celestions in it.(Still use it to this day!)

It was a complete turn around, sounded 300 times better. I use V12-60s, btw. It's a very smooth sounding speaker. I'll probably get a traditional sized boogie cab soon, with v30s in it.

Good luck man!

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

or buy a cheap-ass cab and whack some clestions in it
you can pick up homemade cabs from ebay for like £30 sometimes (i did) and you can get good deals on speaks if you shop around
obv this means you don't have a brand name on it....but... ^___^

Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Godzilla

Ok, cool.

Does the GH100 have the AOR's clarity and richness?

With the AOR, I feel like I can actually hear the string, if that makes sense, its not just a note. Its so clear, on most amps, you only hear a note, but on this amp, its got an insane acoustical quality to it, its so clear, rich, and natural, it sounds very similar to the guitar's unplugged tone.
I'm going to assume that what you are talking about is the harmonic content of the played note. The GH amp might have been a bit better at that. It was certainly easier to distinguish which notes were being played in a chord while under a lot of distortion on the GH. The GH was rather amazing in that respect. Playing a chord at distortion levels that would have another amp sounding like utter mush still sounded relatively clear on the GH. It still sounded distorted, but you could hear the individual notes of the chord better. I'm not sure how they did it. (You can hear this in Paul's recordings. He doesn't have to doubletrack guitars as much as he would with a more "normal-sounding" amp, since the chords are clearer, but the overall tone is more crunchy and distorted.)

The AOR is definitely a mean-sounding amp, and I certainly enjoy playing through mine, but the GH has that quality I just described in the paragraph above. The AOR has more overall tonal response, I think (especially in the low end), although less overall distortion.

Trying to describe sounds over the internet can be frustrating, as can trying to understand what someone else means when they try to describe sounds. If you have Judas Priest's Turbo album, listen to the track, Reckless. The first few bars, with just the one guitar playing, that's similar to the way the AOR sounds. Or the recent remix of Ozzy's Rock and Roll Rebel, with the heavier bass response in the mix, also the first few bars of one guitar playing. The GH, on the other hand, just play any of the more recent Racer X or Paul Gilbert stuff. I sounds just like that, a bit trebly, crunch/fuzzy and detailed.

Hopefully, in spite of the problems of describing sounds in long paragraphs, this will have been of some help to you...

Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:15 am
Superhero

I think ive got a good picture now of the differences.

I think Id prefer the AOR. I just love the simple, bare essentials, rock and roll feel of it. This is good because. . .I already got one! and I wont be gassing for anything new.

Thanks man.

Another question, have any of you AOR owners ever tried a 12AT7 in the AOR tube position? and how does it sound?

Thanks!

Charvel Model 1A

Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:05 am
God Of The Sun

I think ive got a good picture now of the differences.

I think Id prefer the AOR. I just love the simple, bare essentials, rock and roll feel of it. This is good because. . .I already got one! and I wont be gassing for anything new.

Thanks man.

Another question, have any of you AOR owners ever tried a 12AT7 in the AOR tube position? and how does it sound?

Thanks!

I've never tried a 12at7, but I do know the tube is naturally a bit more open and less compressed. So if you're looking for a bit more clarity in the sound, I'd go with one in the V1 slot.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:48 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

You know what I think would be an interesting idea? If everyone records a small sample to show their tone and describes what kind of setup they have; we can then directly hear how a Laney VC or GH50L or Carvin or whatever you may have sounds.

I keep hearing these names of heads being thrown out and vauge descriptions of their tone but it doesn't give a sence of how it really sounds. I'm interested in buying a really nice combo soon and I would like to hear all the different types of tones and be able to see which I prefer for myself the most.

This can be done here or made into a new thread I don't really care. I'll record something of my own tone tomorrow. 8) .

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:01 am
God Of The Sun

The solo is a Laney GH100 through a V30 loaded cab using an Ibanez with Tonezone and Air Norton pickups.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

That tone is great Josh!!!! Do you use any pedals or anything or is it just straight through the head. Man I want my GH50L more now. MORE SOUND CLIPS PEOPLE :)

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:09 am
God Of The Sun

Umm...I don't remember have any pedals on, I had a volume pedal in there I think, but thats it. Thanks a lot!

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:14 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 27  Next