View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next
 The Laney/Marshall Thread 
Superhero

El34's have alot less headroom than 6L6's, which causes them to overdrive alot sooner than 6l6's, and what gives EL34's that british Marshall crunch. Less tame than a 6L6? not hardly. The bass response isnt as heavy as a 6L6, but the crunch and high end will tear your head off.

6L6's are smoother than EL34's, have more bass, and are the "american" amp (used in Fenders, alot of Peaveys, and most Mesas) Amps with 6L6's are usually capable of insane crushing low end (Peavey 5150, Mesas)

but then again, nothing has more low end than my EL34 Laney AOR with the low boost activated. . .that thing is just a freak and a whole different story, so there are always exceptions to the rule. But those are generally how the tubes sound overdriven.

Charvel Model 1A
Greco/DiMarzio Parts Guitar

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:23 pm
Godzilla

...but then again, nothing has more low end than my EL34 [-equipped] Laney AOR with the low boost activated. . .that thing is just a freak and a whole different story, so there are always exceptions to the rule. But those are generally how the tubes sound overdriven.
You got that right! I have one of those mid-Eighties Laney AOR 100 heads (& matching cab) and it's just sick how beefy and huge it sounds. And the more you turn it up, the better it sounds--up to a point, anyway. Eventually, at high enough volume, it starts to rat out and get a bit farty-sounding. But that's at truly ear-splitting sound levels. It's far and away enough for any venue up to a mid-sized club, if you're not miking into a P.A.

The thing to remember, kids, is that you want to achieve a sound that has the least amount of distortion you can get away with for your main, basic heavy sound. When you drive tubes hard, they first compress the signal, then distort it. The reasons you want to avoid excessive distortion (that's kind of funny, coming from me) are:

1.) Too much distortion is a cop-out. It's easy to think you're not making mistakes when they're being covered up by a bunch of mush. But guess what? You're just cheating yourself if you do it that way. You want to get to be a better guitarist, don't you? And all that mush will cover up your triumphs as well as your trials.

2.) Too much distortion all the time gets to be as dull as too much anything else all the time. Lots of distortion tends not to have much dynamics in it, and dynamics are one of the things that make music more interesting. Don't cheat yourself out of the highs and lows, the hards and softs of dynamics by always having your distortion dialed way too high.

A trick that is often used in studio recordings of heavy guitar is to use a fair amount of compression on the signal to tape (or hard drive, or whatever). When we listen to the final result, it sounds sort of like Eddie or Randy or whatever guitar hero we're listening to was using lots of distortion, because we're hearing lots of sustain, but if you listen closely, you'll realize that there's not that much grind--it's sustain from compression. Also, double-tracking heavy guitar makes it sound like more distortion without getting mushy.

Things to think about... I've rattled on long enough.

Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:29 am
Superhero

My AOR is the 100w head as well, its the second version with 8 knobs labeled:

Presence - Bass - Middle - Treble - Master Volume - Preamp 1 Level - Preamp 2 Volume - Preamp 1 Volume

I got it back in July, and I havent changed the tubes yet. What kinda tubes you got in yours? I was considering Svetlanas EL34 or JJ EL34Ls.

Does yours get real noisy on the AOR channel? (I think I may need some new caps when I retube it)

I kinda realized all that stuff about gain today. I have a JSX as well, and I was using the crunch channel with the gain at about 3. Ive found that with that setup, I can milk just about any tone I want from the amp from that setting, its SO expressive. It acts alot like the laney at that gain level. My playing is so expressive and beautiful. At first I was like, "MAN, there isnt enough overdrive here!" but after playing for an hour or so, I was running all over, doing legato runs that were clearly defined with the greatest of ease and rather quickly to. My fingers just flowed over the fretboard, and I controlled the sound with a sensitive touch, and I could feel that I had made a major improvement in my playing just today. So amazed was I that I continued to play for about 6 hours. God that was fun.

The laney is by far, the most expressive, dynamically rich amp Ive ever come across. What I love is the overdrive, its just clean singing overdrive, nut buzzsaw square distortion. Its so clear, it sounds amazingly great and paul-gilberty with PAF pros or single coils. I think my favorite part about the amp, besides the EQ boosts, is the presence control. Most amps have a presence control where it just adds harshness, but this. . nope, it adds pure twang! This is endlessly fun to play with.

Charvel Model 1A

Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:17 am
God Of The Sun

I have never Played the AOR but after reading what you have to say i will keep my eyes open for them. As for Gain, your so right. The first couple of years i was Playing i done the whole 'Gain at full Blast' thing and then realised, like you say, all the Dynamics are around the Halfway point and the Sound is in the EQ. I dont even get to halfway with the Rectos Gain. Its almost like finding the Sound where your hands feel lighter

Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:29 am
Dr. X

HEY!

My AOR is the 100w head as well, its the second version with 8 knobs labeled:

Presence - Bass - Middle - Treble - Master Volume - Preamp 1 Level - Preamp 2 Volume - Preamp 1 Volume

I got it back in July, and I havent changed the tubes yet. What kinda tubes you got in yours? I was considering Svetlanas EL34 or JJ EL34Ls.

Does yours get real noisy on the AOR channel? (I think I may need some new caps when I retube it)

I kinda realized all that stuff about gain today. I have a JSX as well, and I was using the crunch channel with the gain at about 3. Ive found that with that setup, I can milk just about any tone I want from the amp from that setting, its SO expressive. It acts alot like the laney at that gain level. My playing is so expressive and beautiful. At first I was like, "MAN, there isnt enough overdrive here!" but after playing for an hour or so, I was running all over, doing legato runs that were clearly defined with the greatest of ease and rather quickly to. My fingers just flowed over the fretboard, and I controlled the sound with a sensitive touch, and I could feel that I had made a major improvement in my playing just today. So amazed was I that I continued to play for about 6 hours. God that was fun.

The laney is by far, the most expressive, dynamically rich amp Ive ever come across. What I love is the overdrive, its just clean singing overdrive, nut buzzsaw square distortion. Its so clear, it sounds amazingly great and paul-gilberty with PAF pros or single coils. I think my favorite part about the amp, besides the EQ boosts, is the presence control. Most amps have a presence control where it just adds harshness, but this. . nope, it adds pure twang! This is endlessly fun to play with.
]

i have the exact same head!!!! but i still use the origional valves!! these heads are the sh1t eh?
what valves do you use?
also, what settings can your reccomend for high gain..but claer sound...gilbert esq.

cheers bud!

my baby :D

Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:03 pm
Superhero

Original Valves? oh man, they should be toast by now, I'd look into getting them replaced. What are they, what brand?

When I got mine, mine had Sovtek EL34s (gross, 2 of which were quite microphonic) and cheap silver series groove tubes in the preamp.

I swapped the Groove tubes for some Electro Harmonics 12AX7's I had lying about and I took out the 2 microphonic tubes and replaced them with 2 Chinese Ruby El34s I had.

Sounds warmer, but I lost some clarity. Probably just because the tubes arent matched. I tried running it with just 2 tubes (and halfing the impedence) but It sounded alot brighter and harsher, so I put the 2 good sovteks back in.

Im thinking this thing will sound really great after a service (retube, bias, and recap). Its my second amp (JSX is my #1) so Im really procrastinating getting it fixed. Hell, I may go do it tomorrow, Im gonna spend the money sometime, might as well get it overwith and move on, eh?

Settings? I dunno man, Just kinda plug in and play. I like turning the presence up real high, gets a really twangy paul gilbert tone, which is REALLY fun if you have a guitar with a single coil or split humbucker+middle single coil option, or a guitar with PAF pros. I think it really shines with PAF pros.

Have fun man.

Charvel Model 1A

Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:39 am
Superhero

Anybody knows which amp Paul used on Space Ship One??

I know he usually uses the Gh100 but from the dvd you can see a combo...

Anyone??

Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:09 am
Dr. X

Last edited by m0p on Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:54 pm
Dr. X

Original Valves? oh man, they should be toast by now, I'd look into getting them replaced. What are they, what brand?

When I got mine, mine had Sovtek EL34s (gross, 2 of which were quite microphonic) and cheap silver series groove tubes in the preamp.

I swapped the Groove tubes for some Electro Harmonics 12AX7's I had lying about and I took out the 2 microphonic tubes and replaced them with 2 Chinese Ruby El34s I had.

Sounds warmer, but I lost some clarity. Probably just because the tubes arent matched. I tried running it with just 2 tubes (and halfing the impedence) but It sounded alot brighter and harsher, so I put the 2 good sovteks back in.

Im thinking this thing will sound really great after a service (retube, bias, and recap). Its my second amp (JSX is my #1) so Im really procrastinating getting it fixed. Hell, I may go do it tomorrow, Im gonna spend the money sometime, might as well get it overwith and move on, eh?

Settings? I dunno man, Just kinda plug in and play. I like turning the presence up real high, gets a really twangy paul gilbert tone, which is REALLY fun if you have a guitar with a single coil or split humbucker+middle single coil option, or a guitar with PAF pros. I think it really shines with PAF pros.

Have fun man.

theyre just blank..el34m...not too bad..but a little toast yes..im only 14 so im gonna have to save for mew tubes..im gonna get mullards for the pwer and eH,svetlana gold,harma str and jj's for the preamp..so i can change them around to find a good sound with the tubes:D

i must say..aor are freeking sweeet amps!

Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:51 pm
Godzilla

HEY!

What kinda tubes you got in yours? I was considering Svetlanas EL34 or JJ EL34Ls.

Does yours get real noisy on the AOR channel? (I think I may need some new caps when I retube it.)
I can't remember what kind of preamp tubes they are. I did replace them, though. They might have been JJ's. The power tubes are some kind of Groove Tubes EL34's that the guy I got it from put in it not too long before he sold it to me. When I kick on the AOR channel, I get a bunch of noise--squealing if the volume's up. I don't really use it the AOR. I've got pedals that sound better for overall lead boost, so I use them instead. The amp sounds pretty badass without the AOR, especially with the EQ boosts on.

Mine hisses a lot when it's turned up, too. I need to have it gone through. Also the low-sensitivity input is dead... Mine is also my secondary "heavy" amp. I have a Marshall Plexi re-issue for my main heavy rhythm & lead amp. I should quit procrastinating and get the Laney into the shop. The sooner its "issues" are sorted out, the sooner it'll be ready for no-excuses heavy rock sounds...

Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:57 pm
Dr. X

There is an AOR on eBay UK with 4 days left and no bids. Check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LANEY-AOR100-VALV ... dZViewItem

Thinking of bidding, but I'd rather get my GH50L. I really don't have much use for 100W right now. Hell, I barely crank up my little Classic 30. Hmm, maybe I should get a THD Hotplate, and buy the AOR :D

Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:55 pm
Superhero

50w, 100w, it really doesnt make much of a difference volume wise. A 100w amp is only going to be slighlty louder (like 3-4 decibels) louder than a 50w amp. It just going to have more headroom.

I prefer 100w amps, because I feel that they tend to sound warmer. I know that most marshalls are like this, the 100w ones are warmer than the 50w models.

Man, I love my AOR :) Im gonna get it in the shop soon, I swear!

What cabs/speakers are you all using with yours? Im using my Peavey XXX cabinet at the moment, but Im thinking about getting another cab, probably greenback equipped.

Charvel Model 1A

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:35 pm
Dr. X

Argh can't decide if I want the AOR or not. How are the cleans on the AOR? How many channels? Could you possibly link me to a datasheet anyone?

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:55 pm
Superhero

If you want a good manual, select "A100" from this list http://www.laney.co.uk/obsolete.php

The Laney Pro Tube AOR 100w amp is a 2 channel amp. Its not the typical clean/dirty, however. Its actually Crunch/Lead. No clean channel (dont worry, you wont need it, more on this later) It has the basic channel which is very Marshally and similar to a JCM 800 but with a MUCH smoother top end, and NONE of the abrasiveness of the Marshall. Very smooth, and very british.

The AOR channel, is a feature I believe is unique to Laney amplifiers (correct if Im wrong). What it does, is it activates an additional 12AX7 in the preamp, and adds alot of gain. Lots of amps do this now with a solidstate boost (clipping diodes), but this adds a REAL TUBE boost, and you will find that as a result, its about 5x as warm and dynamically rich as one of those amps. Very cool, it provides all the drippy gain you need for Paul Gilbert licks.

It has 2 inputs - Low and High. The High you use for all the overdrive and dirty applications. The Low can be used if you want a very clean tone, and it provides a VERY VERY GOOD and WARM sounding clean tone. Only problem is switching from high to low inputs while playing. . ..well, you could get an AB switch, but I wouldn't worry about it.

If you need clean tones on the fly, this amp reacts extremely well to picking dynamics and how hard you strum. If you turn down the guitar's volume, it will clean up very very nicely. If you have a HSH guitar, putting it on one of the 3 single coil modes will make it sound EXTREMELY beautiful. The absolute beauty of this method, is, you dont need ANY channel switching, you can get ALL the tones you need from the controls on the guitar and your playing dynamics. SIMPLE!!! (I hate channel switching now, as a result. I have tasted simplicity, and I LIKE IT!!) I dont know about you, but I despise complicated rigs. I like to keep it real simple, Geetar + Halfstack + and a couple pedals on the floor is the way to go in my book. Simple, and foolproof.

On the back panel, there is a footswitch jack. It takes a standard 1/4" mono jack, so dont worry about not having the original switch, you can make yourself a switch very easily, or many other footswitches for other amps will work nicely (I actually use my old Peavey Classic 30 footswitch with mine, works perfectly)

There are 2 cabinet out jacks, wired in parallel, with a switch to select 4-8-and 16 ohms. 2 easy-access fuses, a voltage selector switch, the standard power cable input (not hardwired, I forget what the cord is called but most amps and desktop computers use them) Cool thing is Laney used standard cables for the power and footswitch and cabinets, so generic replacements will work fine. It takes 4 EL34 tubes, and 4 12AX7s (their functions are described in the "A100" PDF manual)

The front panel houses the power switch, standby switch, High and Low inputs, and 8 knobs:

Presence
Bass (Push-Pull pot: Pull it out for Bass Boost)
Middle (Push-Pull pot: Pull it out for Mid Boost)
Treble (Push-Pull pot: Pull it out for Treble Boost)
Master Volume
Preamp 1 Level
Preamp 2 Volume
Preamp 1 Volume (Push-Pull pot: Activates AOR channel)

The 4 volume/gain knobs are difficult to figure out, but you'll get it eventually. I wont go into detail about them, but I will say. . they're interesting. The Presence knob. . .wow. . .my favorite knob on the whole thing. You know how most amps have presence knobs, but it just makes the amp harsher the higher it goes? Well, this doesnt do that. It adds clarity, and TWANG. It has the coolest twangy tone when its turned up high, Paul Gilbert uses it alot and its a key part to his tone. Its VERY cool.
The Frequency boosts are very helpful for shaping your tonel, they have a huge impact. The Bass boost. . . .oh my god. Its insane, HUGE bass!

Ive played HUNDREDS of amps, Ive played Marshalls (Plexis, JCM 800s 900s 2000s) Crates (old G1000s and Blue Voodoos of all sorts) Fenders (solidstate practice amps, Blues Jrs and Hot Rod Deluxes) Bogner Extasys, Soldano SLOs, Peavey 5150s, XXXs, JSX's, Line6s, Mesa Boogies (several marks, several rectos, stilletto) B-52s(solidstate and tube), gorillas, Randalls, Oranges, Hiwatts, Rivieras, THDs, Voxs, Sovteks, Carvins, Ampegs,

and I still havent found one that sounds as warm as my old Laney. (JSX comes close though :) )

Other than that, I dont really know what else to say. . .its ugly looking. . . .but it does pack that classic Paul Gilbert tone, which is alot more important that its looks.

Charvel Model 1A

Last edited by RAR! on Thu May 25, 2006 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:51 am
is evil...Evil Joe

I think for the Space Ship One DVD, Paul used his VC50 Combo with the extension 2x12 cabinet, I'm not sure, but I think he used an Ibanez TS9 as a booster, I'm not sure, but you can defintely see a green stompbox, so I'm assuming its a tubescreamer, maybe someone can clarify this :lol:

Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:41 pm
Godzilla

I heard someone describe the sound of the Laney AOR amps like this: Imagine recording a big G power chord using a JCM 800 Marshall. Now take that recording and slow it down until that G sounds like an E power chord. That's what the Laney AOR sounds like. It's not more distorted or crunchy or gainy or whatever. It is more beefy and heavy sounding, with better low-end impact and detail. More ballsy, less shrill.

If you've heard the two different mixes available of Ozzy's "Rock and Roll Rebel" you may understand what I'm going on about. The first few bars are guitar only. The old (original) version sounds nice and heavy in an Eighties' metal kind of way. The new (re-mixed) version has a lot more bass frequencies in those first few guitar-only bars. I'm sure that when they re-mixed the song that they turned up the EQ on the lowest freeqs on the original track to give it a more percussive sound. Doubtless that was a Marshall used to record the track. My point is that the AOR sounds more like the re-mix due to its heavier bass response. It's just naturally beefier than the Marshalls of its era.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:54 pm
Dr. X

Well still no bids, and 3 days left. do you think I should get a GH50L, or grab that AOR?

Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:11 pm
Dr. X

I heard someone describe the sound of the Laney AOR amps like this: Imagine recording a big G power chord using a JCM 800 Marshall. Now take that recording and slow it down until that G sounds like an E power chord. That's what the Laney AOR sounds like. It's not more distorted or crunchy or gainy or whatever. It is more beefy and heavy sounding, with better low-end impact and detail. More ballsy, less shrill.

If you've heard the two different mixes available of Ozzy's "Rock and Roll Rebel" you may understand what I'm going on about. The first few bars are guitar only. The old (original) version sounds nice and heavy in an Eighties' metal kind of way. The new (re-mixed) version has a lot more bass frequencies in those first few guitar-only bars. I'm sure that when they re-mixed the song that they turned up the EQ on the lowest freeqs on the original track to give it a more percussive sound. Doubtless that was a Marshall used to record the track. My point is that the AOR sounds more like the re-mix due to its heavier bass response. It's just naturally beefier than the Marshalls of its era.

thats kida whats its like..its like a modded marshall..with loads of low end thump...mines a big beefer when she's pumped!!

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:13 pm
Godzilla

Well still no bids, and 3 days left. do you think I should get a GH50L, or grab that AOR?
It kind of depends on what sound you're after. If you're after a Paul Gilbert kind of tone, which one do you like better, the sound on the first two studio albums and the first two live albums, or the post-Mr. Big sound like Technical Difficulties, Superheroes and the solo albums? If you like Technical Difficulties, Superheroes, etc., get the newer Laney. The newer Laneys have a different-sounding distortion than the older ones--or any other amps, for that matter. You can get the old-fashioned sound out of the AOR amp.

Both of these amps have distinctive sounds. If you're trying to get your own tone, either one will do. If you're likely to need to get a sound like that heard on different heavy rock records (i.e., you're in a cover band) the AOR would fill that bill better than the newer GH. The AOR just has more of that classic sound in its tone. The GH sounds more like modern Paul Gilbert. Make your choice. I doubt you'd be disappointed either way...

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:47 pm
Godzilla

thats kida whats its like..its like a modded marshall..with loads of low end thump...mines a big beefer when she's pumped!!
It almost sounds like you're tuned down when you're not tuned down.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next