View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 A good distortion pedal for shred sound!!! 
Motorman

Post A good distortion pedal for shred sound!!!
Hi @ all!!!

I´m searchin for a Distortion pedal or a booster that gives me a fat and chunky shred sound.....

Do you guys have any recommendations???

Maybe a BOSS pedal or something like that???

Thanx alot!!! :lol:

Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:57 pm
Profile ICQ
God Of The Sun

I had an okay experience with the Eletrco Harmonix Big Muff Pi stompbox. It was pretty cool, but for some reason I just couldn't pull myself around to buying it. I guess it wasn't what I was looking for, or maybe the little fender amp I was using to test it was just a piece of shit. Oh well, Paul Gilbert uses it on the intro to Terrifying Guitar Trip, you can see it in the background.

Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:14 am
Profile YIM
Motorman

I had an okay experience with the Eletrco Harmonix Big Muff Pi stompbox. It was pretty cool, but for some reason I just couldn't pull myself around to buying it. I guess it wasn't what I was looking for, or maybe the little fender amp I was using to test it was just a piece of shit. Oh well, Paul Gilbert uses it on the intro to Terrifying Guitar Trip, you can see it in the background.

The Big Muff is a good idea...heard a few sound clips....like that fuzzy sound.

Thanx so far!!! :D

Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:19 am
Profile ICQ
God Of The Sun

What kinda amp you playing through?? A good overdrive might be what your looking for.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:48 am
Profile YIM WWW
Viking Kong

BOSS DS-1 (orange stomp box)

2nd choice would be the BIg Muff, but ONLY an ORIGINAL Electro Harmonix Big Muff... The reissue one's are CRAP!!!...X

3rd choice, go with an OG Ibanez Tube Screamer (light green stomp box)

Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:46 pm
Motorman

What kinda amp you playing through?? A good overdrive might be what your looking for.

I play through a Marshall VS265 Stereo Combo....

Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:08 pm
Profile ICQ
Motorman

Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:08 pm
God Of The Sun

Boss DS-1? Really? My cousin has one of those and I took a few minutes to use it... I don't know, maybe I had the settings on something stupid, but I wasn't impressed at all. I didn't know people liked that thing, maybe I should give it another try next time I'm over there. He doesn't even use it, so if i can find out how to get it to sound good, I might be able to get it from him. :D

Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:17 pm
Profile YIM
is evil...Evil Joe

It all depends how you're using it... A ds-1 is too much distortion if you're just needing a lead boost and IMO not enough dist if your going into your amp clean... I am a fan of using the amp distortion for rhythm and adding an overdrive as a lead boost.

A good rhythm tone is the key to your rig... Getting a lead tone you can shred with is the easy part.

Regarding amp discussion: I tried a ton of high gain amps (boogie sodano, 5150, Lee Jackson stuff), trying to get a great rhythm tone and a shred style lead tone straight into the head without using an overdrive/dist pedal...

The problem is, to get a wicked rhythm sound you can't use too much distortion or you just end up squashing the sound and it sounds like mud. Unfortunately you need that compression when it comes time to pull off those shred licks.

So anyway being a slow learner and a gear slut, I kept renting/buying these expensive heads and a/b ing them all against each other, but I couldn't get everything I wanted in one amp direct in...

What totally pissed me off was my friends old JCM 800 and his overdrive pedal for a lead boost kept blowing away my expensive boutique stuff so I finally gave up and bought a couple Mashalls: A DSL 100 and a Zakk JCM 800 (okay, so I couldn't totally wean myself off the exotic shit) with an Ibanez tube Screamer for a lead boost my problems are solved.....

One thing... You won't ever really understand just how killer a 100 w tube amp can sound unless it's cranked up in a rehearsal room or on stage... Playing at low volumes in your bedroom or basement just doesn't cut it... They are NOT practice amps... For practice I use a solid state 2 12 combo with rack gear... Live: 100 w heads and stomp boxes...

Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:55 am
God Of The Sun

Like what would you reccomed if i wanted to sound good at both levels. I personally am in a stand of between a Laney VH100R and the Johnson JM 250. I think they both sound beautiful but since the laney is a tube 100 maybe it wouldnt be too good for jamming out in my room ?

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:23 am
Profile YIM WWW
is the Siren's Eye

Correct Roman. I have the laney and its too loud to jam in my room along with a cd its just too much. Sometimes I'll crank it just for fun and bust out some chops but its more of an giging amp for sure. It sounds best loud. If I were you buy a cheap 2x12 combo amp a marshall combo amp sounds great. Then save up get the Laney and use it for gigs and recording.

Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:04 am
Motorman

ya...the ds-1 is not good for lead boost at all.....i had a bitch of a time trying to get a lead boost....i tried many different pedals in combo with my ds-1.....turned out i settled for an boss EQ...heh...just put the level up a bit.....step on it for solo....*thumbs up*

Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]