View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Violin advice? 
Viking Kong

Post Violin advice?
I took violin lessons in the 4th & 5th grade, and during that time I began playing guitar, & the violin took a back seat. It was a rental.
Anyway, years & years later, I received a violin for Christmas. I wanted to get back into the swing of things, and my question is:
Does anyone know if there are good violin instructional videos starting at an intermediate level? I'm particularly interested in the basic scalar & arpeggiated shapes, as well as left hand vibrato. It's MUCH different than guitar! I've done a bit of looking around myself, only to find nothing.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:12 am
Godzilla

Good luck with that Rich. Like the piano, the violin has a strict set learning plan, so I would only presume that one video or instruction cant really be different then the other , considering how prestigious and respected the violin is in the classical realm. Thus emphasizeing the personal lessons.

Thats one of the reasons I took up classical guitar. As a classical pianist , I began with metal, then learned how well respected the classical guitar world was and decided to dive right in there.

So my sound advice is, if things dont work out on the violin, the classical guitar is still just as "classical" but far more accessable lesson wise.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:50 am
Godzilla

Hey, man, you do what you gotta do, but I'd say just stick to a peaceable pursuit like playing guitar. There's too much violins in our society already. Violins never settled anything anyway.

(Sorry. I just couldn't resist.)

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:51 am
Viking Kong

Thanks, guys. If worse comes to worse, I suppose I could always teach myself, like I did with the guitar.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]