View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 just bought a metaltronix m-1000 head, which stomp box ??? 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post just bought a metaltronix m-1000 head, which stomp box ???
Should i go w/ the keeley seeingeye boss distorion pedal,or a mxr zakk pedal??Never tried neither but to add a little more gain to the metaltronix m-1000-Thanks

Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:55 am
God Of The Sun

You need more gain with a Metaltronix head? My god man are you trying to kill someone?

Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:48 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:57 am
God Of The Sun

Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

There must be a hell of a lot of gain already available in the pre-amp of this beast! Are you sure you need more?

The Zakk Wylde pedal gives a slightly overdriven boost to the front end of your amp. Zakk uses this, and previously used the Boss SD-1, to give the pre-amp of his JCM800 a kick in the arse. The JCM900 or SLX had much more gain/clipping available in the pre-amp so essentially had an overdrive pedal built in to them. Zakk has this pedal on ALL the time, but I don't think there is such a need in your M-1000. If you wanted it as a lead-boost then why not use the switchable gain stage of the M-1000 to achieve the same?

I own an un-modded DS-1, incidently signed by both Vai and Satch, and the distortion it produces is quite pronounced, even at lower settings, so isn't too good as a pre-amp booster. These tend to be used as a second preamp, played through a cleaner channels for a less tubey, harsher distortion sound. I can't speak for the Keeley mod but there are a lot of discussions about it on the vai.com message board.

I think you should live with the amp for a longer time and see what it's capable of before investing in a pedal, especially when playing with a band where you typically find that too much distortion makes your sound dissappear behind the drums and bass.

Dave

Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:07 am
God Of The Sun

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:07 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

I think either an SD-1 or the Zakk pedal would be great. I have a M-1000 and they do have a lot a gain, but I've never really cared for it, it's kind of buzzy.

I turned off the extra gain stage and dialed in a tone similar to a JCM800, then boosted it with an SD-1, sounds pretty good. I also run 6550 tubes in mine, it helps get that Zakk type sound. :wink: I didn't care for the way it sounded with EL34s. I need to pull it out and run it with the Zakk pedal and see how it sounds with that in front.

That amp is so freaking loud it's crazy too, be careful. :lol:

Hope this helps,

Jason

Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:55 pm
Superhero

how much the m-1000 cost you?

I know this was directed at the other guy, but I found mine on HC for $400 +shipping, but that was a few years ago.

Jason

Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:57 pm
Viking Kong

I think either an SD-1 or the Zakk pedal would be great. I have a M-1000 and they do have a lot a gain, but I've never really cared for it, it's kind of buzzy.

I turned off the extra gain stage and dialed in a tone similar to a JCM800, then boosted it with an SD-1, sounds pretty good. I also run 6550 tubes in mine, it helps get that Zakk type sound. :wink: I didn't care for the way it sounded with EL34s. I need to pull it out and run it with the Zakk pedal and see how it sounds with that in front.

That amp is so freaking loud it's crazy too, be careful. :lol:

Hope this helps,

Jason
That's an interesting approach. I've read where other guitar players cut down the distortion built in their amp, & replace some of that with their favorite distortion/od box to get a more unique & appealing sound. God knows, I wouldn't want to run BOTH of them on 10!

Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:05 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Here is an even better Idea than a pedal, buy a new bridge pickup. When I got my JCM2000 (my gigging amp) I used a Metal Zone because I didn't care for the lead sound. then I Slaped a TB-4 into my guitar and It sounds great, I think when you use a pedal you loose some of the sensitivity of the string (if that makes any sense), and you really have to clean up you playing because can hear much more detail.

Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:26 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

metaltronix 660 on ebay-not bad always wanted one-Pete

Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:01 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

I think that many of the greatest amps, will sound better with a overdrive pedal in front of it.

In this topic http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5566 y posted some big pics of my laney head. I use a Ds-1 (with a very low distorsion) just to add some gain to the laney. Is not horrible gain, just the necessary to have the sustain you want. If you want less sustain, use the guitar´s pot.

And another thing about using Od pedals. I guess u guys like the sound (as much as i Do) that PG uses when he plays his solos (with no band) in the concerts... That crunchy sound with little amount of gain. I get the exact tone with the Laney (at 10 ) and using the Ds-1. The ds-1 overdrives the low-gain signal from the guitar (remember PG turns down the guitars pot to 2 of 10) and woalá...u get that blusy tone.

My english sucks, and maybe u don´t understand me a word, but hope u do.

Cheers

Tom!

Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:05 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:49 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]