View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Build your own amps!!!! 
Dr. X

Post Build your own amps!!!!
Just a quick question has anyone ever tried to or succeeded in building their own guitar amp or cabinet and if so how hard is it?

While I think of it what's the general consensus on amp materials (what type of wood,point to point wiring or PCB that sorta shit!).

I'm thinking of building my own amps as i've got plenty of time on my hands at the moment.I thought that I might make the wood on the cabinets thicker than the standard 19mm or 3/4 inch maybe 25mm or 1 inch and hopefully make it sound cooler!

I know that birch and pine are supposed to be good tone woods but beyond that I know nothing.
Mahogany might be a little weighty for an amp but I bet it sound as heavy as hell!

Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:05 am
Site Admin

I think building your own cabinet is realistic for the average person.

A) Building an amp? B) having it sound good? C) for less than buying one?

A total stretch...

Regards,
Ken

Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Yeah, I hang out over at Harmony-Central alot and talk with Doug Roccaforte, and Trace from voodooamps.com and they have mentioned that it's next to impossible to build your amp, and come out cheaper than if you had bought one. And there's so many things you can do to tweak and change the sound, sometimes it takes many attempts before you come out with one that you like.

Now something along the lines of one of those clone kits you can pick up might be something to look into, at least for your first one.

Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:57 pm
Dr. X

I was just thinking of the cabinet for starters I think you're probably right about the amp head it's probably a bit of a dog to get it to sound even useable let alone good!

Maybe i'll buy a knackered old Marshall and rebuild it by downloading the board diagrams from the net,should be able to make it sound like any amp I want.........in theory!

Bollocks to it............i'll stick with the cabinet and see how that goes.

Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:05 pm
BOFH

Building your amp could be a viable option for some people... If you know what you're doing, for example. (Electronics / Audio tech graduates, maybe?)

You COULD build one for less money too... If you worked at an elextronics company and could get dirt cheap components...

Even with all of these things in your favor, you'd be hard pushed to get a home made amp to sound good.

The only amp's worth building, IMO, would a be small project amps like the smokey amp that's flying about on ebay so much these days.

Just my two english pence :)

Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

If you want to build your own amp, here's a page you might be interested in: http://www.metroamp.com/store/index.php ... 5088b346cf

If you want to build your own cab, it's not impossible. There's plenty of advice online on how to wire it, how to cover it, etc. I would strongly recommend you get a router and a fingerjoint jig for it. The object of the game in building a cab is to get it as airtight as possible.

Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:02 pm
God Of The Sun

Just be careful on the wood you use.

Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]