View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 AMP SUGGESTIONS 
God Of The Sun

Post AMP SUGGESTIONS
oh k. Im on the prowl for a new amp. I really want a johnson millennium head but my better judgement got me. Since those amps have been discontinued it will be hard to get parts if they break or something so heres what im looking for. I need an amp that gets really good harmonics/harmonic feedback. I want something that is very crunchy but dosent sound harsh and squeally when you get up into those higher ranges. the sound im really looking for is somethign alot similar to Mattias Eklundhs tone in the song "logo" if you want to hear the song here it is

http://www.freakkitchen.com/downloads/mp3/move_11.mp3

(click save as)

well im on a reasonable budget, i would prefer something i can get used for about 600-700 bux. and i dont use pedals or anything. i just plug straight into the amp.

yeah im sorry for posting all these amp questionx. But im on a search for my tone man. and i cant really play anythgin around here as the nearest guitar store is like 2 and a half hours away.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:23 am
Profile YIM WWW
Motorman

Mesa boogie Dual/Triple rectifier.......nuff said....all you can do is try out a bunch of amps in your price range and pick the one that YOU feel is best sounding....dont listen to anyone else what they say about it....they arent listening through your ears

Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:31 am
Motorman

Mesa boogie Dual/Triple rectifier.......nuff said....all you can do is try out a bunch of amps in your price range and pick the one that YOU feel is best sounding....dont listen to anyone else what they say about it....they arent listening through your ears

I hate both of those amps.

But for 600-700 bucks.. Maybe Peavey 5150. Or Laney Gh100L.

Good amps for that price..

Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:00 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Loudest 50 watt amp you'll ever hear!!

Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:44 pm
God Of The Sun

I really dont want a combo unless its powerful enough to run another cab. Ive played mesas, the ey dont sound wet and organic to me, the sound the have is very dry and borish to me.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

DC5 will can easily drive another cab. It was one of the reasons that I bought it as I don't have room to store a 4x12 but on occasion would like to plug into one.

Its not as dry sounding as other boogies, great for pretty any style of music. In fact it will just as easily produces a great blues tone as much as a scopped metal sound.

If you can find one, try one out. In fact try out EVERYTHING you can before buying a new amp. That was how I ended up buying my DC5 - I tried out everything in the stores, Peavy, Marshall,Ampegs etc etc and just found my tone with this thing.

Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:26 pm
Superhero

If you play 7stringers you should try this they say
Quote:
One moment earth-shaking bottom end and a gloom & doom riff to match, the next a wild and whacky, heavily effected clean sound - 21st century metal is all about extremes and stark contrasts. Little wonder that yesteryear’s sound reinforcement solutions can’t cut it in this brave new world of sound.This is why Hughes & Kettner® went back to the drawing board and developed the first amp designed specifically to do the sound, vibe and feel of detuned guitars justice. The WARP 7™.

2 Channels: Clean, Warp 100 Watt Current Feedback Amp
Control features: Clean: Volume, Bass, Mid, Treble Warp: Gain, Master, Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence Connectors: Input, FX Send, FX Return, Footswitch Headphone, 2 Speaker Outs WARP 7™ CABINET 4x 12" Celestion® RockDriver Junior Loudspeaker 200 Watt

I will try it out one of these days at my local guitar shop

Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Motorman

I have a Recto myself and, if im totally honest, if i were to buy another amp i would buy a Marshall head and get it modded. You can get them really cheap, parts are easy to get hold of and they sound awesome if you get a good one. Stay away from the JCM200 TSL100's though. They dont sound too great.

Mark

Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:40 pm
Viking Kong

For that price range, I've seen Peavey 5150 II's and Carvin Legacy's (used of course)... Also, check out the old Ampegs PG used to use, you can find those for less than $500...

OR save up about $300 more and get a Mesa Boogie Triaxis preamp with a good poweramp :wink:

Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:46 pm
Viking Kong

BTW... Here's my alternate answer to the cabinet you seek for 7-string playing if you're not gonna go with a Genz Benz G-Flex then try these by Rivera:

KnuckleheadЎ 312 Sub/Speaker Enclosure
Providing innovative solutions for Musicians is our mission. We have combined our award winning Sub 1 300 Watt 1-12" JBL Powered subwoofer, with angled 2-12" Celestion V30 speakers in a separate chamber; all in one cabinet. The result is a single piece compact package, with a stage footprint sized like a 4x12 cabinet (but a wee bit smaller). Just add an Amp top or combo, and you have a system that will suck the doors off many larger rigs. The back panel of the top speaker chamber can be removed for those folks that like open-back sounds. Connection to the V30s as well as the Sub 1 is easily accomplished by rear mounted and recessed control and jack panels.

Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:54 pm
God Of The Sun

If you play 7stringers you should try this they say

I have nnever heard anything goo said about those things. And personally ive tried a few of their amps and they are not for me.

that rivera deal sounds cool. I think that there should be tone chambers between seperate speakers with small tunnels leading to them from each section. You could use these chambers to focus all of the air and move it out into the crowd. But that thing looks sweet.

Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Motorman

thats this thing about amps.....no amp is really shitty...it just depends on what you like....i play with 13 gauge strings tuned to B standard (2.5 steps down) so i find the recto really nice for that.....i'm in the same situation for an amp....its starting to really cheese me off

Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:26 am
God Of The Sun

One of the amps I have (besides my ADA & my Line 6) is a Peavey Supreme head that is able to get really cool Racer X/Paul tones. Just remeber, no matter what head or amp you choose, it will take some tweaking to get the sound you want out of it.

Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:01 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]