View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 OK guys, your opinions, Hammett or Mustaine 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post OK guys, your opinions, Hammett or Mustaine
Granted Mustaine has just recovered from severe nerve damage, but in the day, what do you reckon.

Personally i'm gonna go mustaine

Last edited by Sapper on Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:59 pm
Site Admin

Why is Mustaine taking on William Shakespeare???

-Chad

Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:44 pm
Dr. X

maybe you mean Hammett? as in metallica?? and i belive that mustaine claims that he can play better now then ever, even after the surgery...even so ..i dont like hammett to much anyways...

Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:36 pm
Dr. X

hamlet by far... he always could bust out some rhymes :lol:

Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:03 pm
Godzilla

I'm very happy some one posted about this. I was just thinking about that today. Personally, I'd say if your looking for technique, Hammet, but Mustaine is still scary fast.
Recently Mustaine got a guitar teacher, he says now he's even a good bit faster than he has ever been. Which is good. I just hope he worked on his articulation, like using more legato, and some arrpeggios. He's already very clean, as is Hammet. So in short, I think it's a tie! But I can't give a whole hearted answer until I hear Megadeth's new album.

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13)

Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:00 pm
Unt! I move topics!

Mustaine ... very underrated lead player IMO. Hammet ... very overrated lead player IMO. I don't hate Hammet like a lot of people here, but he won a lot of awards from guitar magazines that I don't think he deserved.

Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

... until I hear Megadeth's new album.
I got it on Soulseek, it´s pretty cool, they´ve already released the single "Die Dead Enough"

Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:29 pm
Profile ICQ
God Of The Sun

Mustaine is a great rhythm playing, but he's got one of those styles for his lead playing that Ive seen a few different places. Often times he'll ankor(sp?) himself in one place with his index finger and pivot on that and let the rest of his fingers snap into place. Kind of looks mechanical, but not too much.

Hammett isnt a rhythm guitarist, so he's more devoted to his own fills and solos that are a bit smoother, though probably sloppier than Mustaine.

All in all, I dont see Mustaine as a good 'lead guitar only' thing. He does great for his combination of rhythm and lead. If I had to choose between him being Metallica's lead guitarist like he used to be, or Hammett taking his place, I'd probably choose Hammett, since Dave seems more suited in his playing for the rhythm sections.

The #1 Queensryche Source

Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:40 pm
is O.H.B.

i dont like hammets playing but......ok well i dont like him

I'm famous for this - Image

Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Godzilla

I have an on going theory about kirk hammett.

I think that he has become retarded. Sounds crazy but, just watch an old metallica video and you will see an extremely clean and fast player who is kirk, when you compare it to now he is completely different.

Maybe he is infected by an alien being, whatever it is, its affected his play.

Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:42 pm
Dr. X

Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:03 pm
Viking Kong

Mustaine comes up with the amazingly catchy rhythms that I dont think Hammet does.

As far as leads go... I like them both, but I think Hammet has the ability to solo better than Mustaine.

I cant really say how true these comments are... because I dont know how the writing process goes. I hear awesome harmonies in Metallica, but for all I know it could be James Hetfield coming up with them... and I hear amazing rhythms in Megadeth (and I heard Marty Friedman say that typically the rhythms were Mustaine's work).

Mustaine is definitely something special on leads, though. Metallica auditioned him, and they didnt waste ANY time to say "You're in!" after Mustaine auditioned!

As far as who I'D choose for my band... I'd definitely go with Mustaine. He can do rhythms, and he is capable of doing leads! It's better to have the "total package" in my opinion.

Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:48 pm
is O.H.B.

I have an on going theory about kirk hammett.

I think that he has become retarded. Sounds crazy but, just watch an old metallica video and you will see an extremely clean and fast player who is kirk, when you compare it to now he is completely different.

Maybe he is infected by an alien being, whatever it is, its affected his play.

maybe he's just changed his style

I'm famous for this - Image

Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Dr. X

i prefer Friedman :lol:

Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:20 am
God Of The Sun

becker and friedman own hammett or mustaine

Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:06 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I definately agree that Hammet has tooken a turn for the worst in his playing. I agree, he used to be a much more clean, and fast player than he is now.
I'll be honest, I still sit around for HOURS all day when I'm not playing guitar, watching live performances of Metallica and Megadeth. I just sit their and analyze their style and playing. Believe it or not, it helps my playing. By watching I get an idea of what their technique is.
And after all the time I've spent, I still think Mustaine is way cleaner than Hammet is now. Mustaine is with out a doubt more technical, and employs more alternate picking with his riffs. Hammet used to be the shit on guitar. He lost his thunder I think. Mustaine still has such control, and such clarity when he plays. You watch live performances of Metallica from back in the 80's, and Kirk is amazing. Now you see performances and he just looks lik he is sturggling. Dave Mustaine just always looks in control, always knows what he's doing.
I don't know, I think maybe at one point Kirk was a better player, but not anymore.

Mason

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13)

Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:45 am
Godzilla

maybe he's just changed his style

Its possible, but what style does playing sloppy and using bad timing fall in ?

As hamlet would say, " Where doth lie lingering links of 80's metallica videos, prey thee my child as nature her custom holds they doth lie on a forgotton page of long locks, sensual song and grusome garment. Linking us a forgotten page of this kind would bear the weight on a scale of favors to the earth held by Atlas himself"

In other words, would anyone happen to have an old video of metallica playing live so we can kinda show what I and vette are talking about ?

Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:42 am
Viking Kong

I'm surprised no one has busted out the "To Shred...or Not to Shred...that, is the question."

Anyways, Mustaine....any day of the week.

Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:33 am
Dr. X

As far as I know, on the first couple of Metallica albums, namely Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning, a lot of the solos that Hammet plays ARE Mustaine's solos, anyone who's seem the Cliff 'Em All vid knows the Whiplash solo is all Dave. Mustaine contributed to a lot of early Metallica riffs, like Horsemen, Bellz, Ktulu, etc. So, a vote for Hamster (sic) is a vote for Mustaine! But seriously, as an overall guitarist, Mustaine is clearly superior he can play rhythm, he's got catchy riffs (Horsemen, Take No Prisoners, A Tout Le Monde, the list goes on...), he can solo war with Friedman, and step up to the plate! Now that is an accomplishment. Mustaine all the way! That's not to undermine the Hamster, I think he is an excellent soloer, but as a guitarist in general, i'd say Mustaine.

Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:13 am
is evil...Evil Joe

I agree that Hammet used to be one fucking awsome player. I've got a video, a really old one, of him doing a small solo peace and its really good, but i recently saw some of their set at the download festival on tape, and the difference is staggering.
A second reason I would pick mustaine is that, even though marty is one shit scary mother fucker, dave can hold his own and pull out some pretty damn amazing chops to complement marty's unique style.

PLus mustaine rulls at lead AND rhythm and kirk...................well..................doesn't.

Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next