View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 You ever wonder if.... 
is the Siren's Eye

Post You ever wonder if....
....vai, joe, paul, yngwie (especially) or eddie get tired of some of us minions with our guitar god worship. When you sit back and really think about it, the seperation between Rock Star and average Joe (bar star musician) is pretty significant....
I mean they are only human, so do you ever think that the Star Trek Convention mentallity comes into play, where in the back of their minds it's like "thanks for buying my record, but get a bit of a life." Ego's rule Rock and Roll and as much as everyone can be nice, never forget what it takes to stay where you are.

I go to the Vai forum, and sometimes it's like "Thank you Master Vai, I will never wash my keyboard after your response to me." If that isn't an invite to categorize the reset of the fans as pigeons I don't know what is.

This isn't a dig against anyone, hell knows the music is what matters. Also there is this huge vortex of talent/hard work that allows people to deserver to be where they are. But you know sometimes you just gotta wonder.

PS: Also it's Hollywood, you figure it out. The guy probaby drivers a BMW M5 for kicks on weekends.

Best of luck to all. ....

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:27 am
Viking Kong

Very good points. I mean, after all, wouldn't you appreciate some fan adoration, yet want to carry on a normal conversation with someone after a while without the constant embarassing questions? (Like whether or not you can palm a basketball)? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:18 pm
Unt! I move topics!

Interesting. But I don't think the analogy to Star Trek is really applicable. With Star Trek, the fans are mostly into the subject matter of the show and not the technical aspects of creating it. When William Shatner gets mobbed by Star Trek fans, most of them aren't asking him about method acting, they're asking about Tribbles and Klingons. They're not actors themselves, so they don't know how to talk to an actor on an equal level.

When fans approach a "guitar god", most of them are guitar players themselves. And many have experience playing in a rock band on stage. So the "distance" isn't nearly as far. They can ask reasonably intelligent questions.

It's kind of like that show "Inside the Actor's Studio" (I think that's what it's called). The audience is made up of students at an acting school. They don't act like star struck idiots. They don't ask the actor his favorite color and the name of his pet dog. They ask intelligent questions about acting. I doubt the actor being interviewed is thinking "jeez, get a life!"

Plus, the guitar players that we worship had their own set of guitar gods that they worshipped. When Eddie meets a fan who is too awestruck to speak properly, he probably realizes that he would have been acting the same way had he met Clapton when he was just a young fan.

Last edited by TheSurgeon on Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

I agree with you totally! Like on the Goegre Lynch forums... I'm a HUGE fan of his, right, well back in 1982, I saw him here in San Diego, CA with Dokken at San Diego State Universty for Breaking the Chains tour, etc...so he's been my favorite of all time, but onthe the boards, there's fans like, "Dear Goerge... You are god, and what's your favorite color, how do you spend your day, I worship your playing, and have never washed my shirt you signed, etc... LOL" :x

It cracks me up, thinking they read this stuff...well George used to, and that's his thing, which is fine, he'll pop in like 4 times a year or something..and maybe post a comment LOL but that's cool...I even told Paul Gilbert personally, I like George Lynch 's playing better than you and he's my favorite, and Paul was like, cool! (Not the same is being better, just like his style better..you know what I mean, etc..) I like coming here because I like all you guys here and your posts are quite informative and fun to read, and cathcing Paul now and then, is great interaction! :D

I often think, geez, what do these guitarists thing of their fans, literally...LOL one, they should appreciate the following, but two, (like Star Trek Fans) some get weird and all...LOL To this day, I still haven't bought Smoke This Lynch Mob, becaue I heard it sucked., and I didn't like Rap mixed with metal, etc... but am still a huge fan...LOL To this day, there's like 1-3 albums he put out, I don't own yet...back in the 80's I would save my lunch money to buy his next album or concert, but now it's like, okay...now what? LOL :D :P I still take pride though that I'm one of the few, if not the only one, that has the most extensive, live concert footage on tape/DVD than anyone of George Lynch performances, i.e. with Dokken, Lynch Mob, etc... I like videos more than CD's anyways...LOL... So I have more video footage of Lynch than I do audio...LOL

But I think Eddie doesn't really care of the following personally, other than having the Van Halen group follwing which he'll always have.. he's never even done an insturctional video.. Vai I think is genuine, and Satriani...Eric Johnson repsect their fans, of course Gilbert is awesome... Nuno Bettencourt, is on the fringe (like where's his fan base? LOL) and there' many others...but I think some egos think they'll always have their fans to sell to, but you need to keep the clients happy! LOL :D okay I've rambled here...

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:48 pm
Godzilla

Hmmm....... I think that for any case its wrong to over do your fanaticism over your favorite guitarist. For example, Ive met John Pertrucci at the Times Square sam ash. And at the time he wasent surrounded by dozens of people (just a few employees and some guy he came with).

My freind John who is a much bigger dream theater fan was jumping like a school boy , and I think because of it no one took him seriously if he ever said something. I was very happy to see him and I had the feeling that he just wanted to be treated like a normal guy. He played for about 10 minutes on some ESP, talked with an employee about recording stuff for about 20 minutes, then hit 48th street and left. I asked him a few questions about picking, and he responded very very well. And when I mean well I mean in a non-condecending manner, extremely respectful guy.

So, with all the strangness these guys have to deal with, I kinda get the feeling that they really want to be treated just like anyone else. I definatly know I would if I where him

Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:38 pm
God Of The Sun

i still havnt washed my hand since I shook joe satrianis

j/k

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

if i ever meet satch, vai, paul, or any of my heroes i'd liek to be able to talk to them like i would a friend. especially if i met clatpon, that'd be great! i'd ask him any suggestions for blues stuff.

i'd be like:

"hey man, aren't you that guy. eric clapton i think?"

"yeah?"

"thats cool, i hear your a big robert johnson fan"

"yeah, big influence on me"

"yeah, i been getting itno him lately. really good stuff"

"hey, do you play guitar?"

"yes i do"

"you wanna ocme on tour with me?"

"nah, i got things to do. people to see"
:lol:

thats how it's go, minus the rejection of the tour. at that point, i faint and someone calls a hospital.

you make me sick!!!

Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:52 am
Motorman

I'd' be all,

"George, what up? What's with the hair? Dude, you need to like, stop dying your hair, okay?

"What's wrong with my hair?

"Um, hello? First, it looks like a wig dyed all jet black and everyting..." LOL by the way, you wanna jam? LOL :D :P :P 8)

Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:20 am
God Of The Sun

i understand completely

if i ever meet satch, vai, paul, or any of my heroes i'd liek to be able to talk to them like i would a friend. especially if i met clatpon, that'd be great! i'd ask him any suggestions for blues stuff.

i'd be like:

"hey man, aren't you that guy. eric clapton i think?"

"yeah?"

"thats cool, i hear your a big robert johnson fan"

"yeah, big influence on me"

"yeah, i been getting itno him lately. really good stuff"

"hey, do you play guitar?"

"yes i do"

"you wanna ocme on tour with me?"

"nah, i got things to do. people to see"
:lol:

thats how it's go, minus the rejection of the tour. at that point, i faint and someone calls a hospital.

I had something li ke that planed when I was gona talk to satch, but when I got up to him I forgot what I was gona say and just stood there.

I think that would only happen to vai, satch...those guys like demand respect. I couldnt run up to them and ask them a bunch of questions, Id just go into a blank stare of bliss...Im breathing the same air as a guitar god!

Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:36 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Post Now, here's what iI'd do...
Funnily enough the other nite I had a dream that I was sat next to eVh on a flight somewhere, and I engaged him in conversation about the guitar construction, etc, as I recently had a go at "Frankensteining" my guitar. Also the same dream with Satch, except i interrogated him about his love of the Silver Surfer, something like this:

"Excuse me sir, aren't you Joe Satriani"

"Yes. Yes I am"

"Joe, there's something i've always wanted to ask you..."

"Sure, what is it?"

"Well, the cover to 'Surfing with the alien' and the song 'Back to Shalla-Bal' these references all point to one thing..."

"Oh, what's that?"

"You're a big Silver Surfer fan, aren't you?"

" *dramatic* My terrible secret! Please, you must tell no-one!"

"Come on Joe, you're even trying to be like him with the chrome guitar, the shaven head..."

Any other Marvel fans out there notice this?

Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:02 pm
BOFH

I met satch a few months ago... Here's how it went...

"hey man... well played tonight"

"thanks... I only screwed up once... one of the crew moved my pedals a bit and I hit my octaver instead of my delay pedal... sounded pretty nasty"

"oh yeah.. I remember that. Don't worry about it... It went un-noticed for the most part I think"

"say... that's a pretty cool hat... where'd you get it?"

"oh, I've got a bunch of women in americ that make them for me"

"It's alright for some... having hat's made for them. You look pretty tired, man... I'll let you get off. Have a good night"

"thanks. you too"

Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

this would be my conversation with petrucci:

me "your an ass"

petrucci "huh?.... why?"

me "because after im finally gettin erotomania down, you pull out that dum hyper fast shit on train of thought, ass"

petrucci "hahah thats funny, have a jpm model on the house"

me "thanks, stop getting better i need to catch up. dont you kno your hurting all the other guitar player's feelings?"

petrucci " hahaha thats funny, have a mesa roadking"

me "thanks, k im gonna go get some tacos and a fry surpreme, you wanna come along?"

petrucci "word bitch, taco bell like a mutha fukah!

:roll: sorry im barely awake : P

Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:44 pm
Viking Kong

me "your an ass"

petrucci "huh?.... why?"

me "because after im finally gettin erotomania down, you pull out that dum hyper fast shit on train of thought, ass"

me "thanks, stop getting better i need to catch up. dont you kno your hurting all the other guitar player's feelings?"

me "thanks, k im gonna go get some tacos and a fry surpreme, you wanna come along?"

ROFL! Having just watched "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" today, I found that particularly funny.

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time....thank you. :lol:

Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:16 am
Dr. X

That's easily one of Chris Rock's funniest roles.

"You go to film school? If your daddy know you serve a ni**er his coffe it would KILL HIM, WOULDN'T IT?!!"

"Clean that up! Get me a white-boy with blonde hair to clean that up!"

Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:21 pm
Dr. X

shreddies wrote:

me "your an ass"

petrucci "huh?.... why?"

ROFL! Having just watched "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" today, I found that particularly funny.

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time....thank you. :lol:

lol np. i like your avatar (right click saves target as). i've actually been having myself a little Tarantino marathon the last couple days, watched kill bill volumes 1 and 2, resevoir dogs, and pulp fiction, along with all the tasy extras of the special edition dvds (resevoir dolls : P), Quentins deffinately my favourite direcotor.

Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:27 am
Viking Kong

Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:45 am
Dr. X

havnt seen that in a year i think. should dig out the tape or go buy the dvd, i still havnt seen that 4 rooms thing he did yet.

Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]