View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 What do you guys think of mine new convolut? 
Dr. X

Post What do you guys think of mine new convolut?
What do you guys think of the cover I made.

Don't you dare steal that logo from me :twisted:

Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

So I found Somewhere yo upload it so it works now...

Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:37 pm
Profile ICQ
God Of The Sun

very nice...i like the parental advisory. some people might think its for languge though and not buy the album... :roll:

Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:39 pm
Site Admin

Pretty cool...if you were on Shrapnel in 1983...

-Chad

Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:51 pm
Motorman

If i'm honest it looks very tacky, unless that was the look you were going for.

Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:25 am
Dr. X

Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

I mean, it obviously looks like you or whoever else made it put some time into it, and of course that's respectable. However, I'll have to agree with Chad and Racer Who? I've noticed a lot of the "underground guitarists/shredders" have really tacky covers. IE: George Bellas. Not a fan of all that 3D rendering on CD covers.

Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:20 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

I mean, it obviously looks like you or whoever else made it put some time into it, and of course that's respectable. However, I'll have to agree with Chad and Racer Who? I've noticed a lot of the "underground guitarists/shredders" have really tacky covers. IE: George Bellas. Not a fan of all that 3D rendering on CD covers.

That's the thing...I mean you put your heart and soul into doing an album then you have some tool whip up some retarded album cover. Give it an effort, man!

-Chad

Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:22 pm
Superhero

Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:46 pm
Godzilla

Im a do some graphic design, and from what I can say about that is its a bit too tacky.

my suggestions are Drop the lightning and crazy smoke in the back. Dont create glows on fonts that are already fancy . And ultimatly try to keep it very simple where the text stands out more then anything.

Here are two really good examples.

Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:36 pm
Site Admin

Im a do some graphic design, and from what I can say about that is its a bit too tacky.

my suggestions are Drop the lightning and crazy smoke in the back. Dont create glows on fonts that are already fancy . And ultimatly try to keep it very simple where the text stands out more then anything.

Here are two really good examples.

Good examples? Those are tacky as well.

Good PROFESSIONAL album art is always what divided major releases from shredders. Most of the instrumental/shred covers are completely laughable.

Examples of good covers:

Those Symphony X covers look like 1983 Shrapnel/Indy art. That's just NOT putting a professional face on an album.

-Chad

Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:05 pm
Godzilla

I beg to differ, I could use satch's example.

Was he not PROFESSIONAL just a year earlier ? Doubt it.....This album cover has 80's tack written all over it. Its all about whom you want to market too and how can you express visually what your CD is about.

The Symph X covers are dead on for what kind of music they produce and I know for sure that when I saw that CD in my record store it caught my eye.

Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:29 am
Site Admin

I beg to differ, I could use satch's example.

Was he not PROFESSIONAL just a year earlier ? Doubt it.....This album cover has 80's tack written all over it. Its all about whom you want to market too and how can you express visually what your CD is about.

The Symph X covers are dead on for what kind of music they produce and I know for sure that when I saw that CD in my record store it caught my eye.

The Symphony X covers cater to D&D playing kids who'd rather sleep with a 20 sided dice than a woman.

What's wrong with the Flying in a Blue Dream cover? That's professional. Seriously dude...art that you like has a place...on the cover of fantasy novels. It's not 1983 any more, and Ronnie Dio doesn't rule the earth.

TACKY.

-Chad

Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:37 am
Godzilla

The Symphony X covers cater to D&D playing kids who'd rather sleep with a 20 sided dice than a woman.

Generalization much ?

And the blue dream cover caters to the leather jackets and tight jean wearing people of 1997 right ?

Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:03 am
Site Admin

Quote:

Generalization much ?

And the blue dream cover caters to the leather jackets and tight jean wearing people of 1997 right ?

Um...Flying in a Blue Dream came out in 1989, dude. Generalizations, like stereotypes, exist because they're right. When't the last time you made a generalization of a homeless person being a neat freak who's compulsively clean? You don't CAUSE THEY AIN'T!

-Chad

Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:07 am
Godzilla

And my liking to symphonyx's covers make me a d&d playing freak whom dislikes women ?

Thats me alright, same thing with all other Symph x fans. Generalizations must always be right.

Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:11 am
Site Admin

And my liking to symphonyx's covers make me a d&d playing freak whom dislikes women ?

Thats me alright, same thing with all other Symph x fans. Generalizations must always be right.

I never said that. Turn your democrat switch to OFF.

I said the ARTWORK has it's place on Fantasy novels. And if you're reading fantasy novels, then I'll generalize all I want about you, 'cause it's WARRANTED.

I work for Sony Music USA. I know what major, real deal, big time record labels and distributors want and don't want. There's a solid reason why the instrumental community for the most part doesn't get taken seriously by distributors like Sony Red, and it's almost ALWAYS in the packaging. Like it or not, it's a fact of the business.

-Chad

Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:15 am
God Of The Sun

Although I'm a huge fan of Symphony X's music, I've never been a fan of the coverwork on their CD's either. Chad's right, if I didn't like or know about Symphony X or other shred bands/guitarists for that matter, it would probably be pretty hard for me to take it seriously. I've been pretty into graphic design, although I never take the time to really learn programs like photoshop I know what I'm looking for when I see stuff like cover-art. Satriani's Crystal Planet album is simple but beautiful, imo., and it's actually one of the reasons I started LISTENING to him, the guy responsible for me taking my guitar playing seriously. I know it's stupid to "judge a book by its cover" but like it or not, that's how most people are going to judge a CD if they don't know much about the artist.

Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:26 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Yankabee, if you want to use Symphony X CD's as examples of good album covers... you are putting up the wrong ones.

Anyway, Chad, they cater to the theme of the album.

For example, here is the cover for The Odyssey; their best album cover to date.

The artwork for the album fits the description of the music.

Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next