View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Thoughts on Carvin[amps & guitars]? 
God Of The Sun

Post Thoughts on Carvin[amps & guitars]?
What are your thoughts on Carvin Guitars [good, bad, ugly], whats the best they offer for shredders, I cant seem to find beckers models.

Also what do you guys think about Carvin heads[& cabs] and the overall tone they give out? I personally havn't played one yet and want to sooo badly just to screw w/ it. Is it worth it to invest a few hundred into a carvin for a 'future' shredster?

thx
brent

Wed May 12, 2004 3:52 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

I can't really comment yet, as I'm waiting for my first Carvins to arrive. I've got a DC727 (7 string) coming in a couple weeks, and I'm pretty geeked about it. I also ordered a DC127M just today. If I dig those as much as I think I will, I'll probably pick up one of the new CT6 models sometime during the summer.

If you read their guitar forum frequently, you definitely come away with the impression that people love their Carvins. They appear to be very high quality instruments made available at a pretty low price compared to the big names, since they deal direct and cut out the middle man. I also like the fact that you've got 10 days from when you receive it to decide whether you like it, or send it back with no questions asked.

I'm especially looking forward to checking out the 25" scale neck of the 127, as I think it will be more comfortable for me. Have you read the reviews at Harmony Central yet?

Wed May 12, 2004 4:24 am
King Of The Monsters

Played through one Carvin amp once, and it really blew me away.

The Becker model is sadly out of print though.

For more info about "guitar sound", listen to Tony MacAlpine, he uses "actual Carvins"... 8)

Image Image

Wed May 12, 2004 4:39 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

thx guys, Ill have to check out the carvin forums and such.

What models did Becker use [amps & geetars]?

I just keep playing my cacophony cds and perpetual burn over and over...sooo addicting :twisted:

dto, you have to tell me how you like the necks on the carvin guitars once you get them. After playing my JEM, its hard for me to play any other necks that aren't as smooth :)

rock on,
brent

Wed May 12, 2004 5:02 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

Wed May 12, 2004 5:46 am
King Of The Monsters

Jason putted some gear info in his website...

Nothing from other world, pretty simple indeed.

Image Image

Wed May 12, 2004 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

I don't like the armrest too much cuz it's tiny and I like a little more of a rest there but other than that; fantastic.

Wed May 12, 2004 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
is the Siren's Eye

I have a DC145 that I love to death. Compared to an Ibanez, the necks aren't as thin, but are nonetheless easy to play on. Talking about smoothness, Carvin offers a high gloss and tung oil finish.

Question: do you live in Newport Beach as in Orange County? If so, it'd be worthwhile to drive down to the Carvin store in LA and check out what they have there. Becker's Carvin was all-maple, if I'm not mistaken. If you run down to the store, ask them what wood combinations would be tonally comparable.

Note however, that Carvin guitars typically don't have a high resale value. So if you get one, be sure that it has everything you'd want, and that it'd be something you would keep. Some people like Carvins, but end up concluding that they're "just not for me."

DTO: be sure to put a review of your Carvins when you get them!

Wed May 12, 2004 9:04 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

For those in doubt of Carvin's dedication to quality, check this out:

http://carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=CT6M

I'm getting one next month. I can't wait.

DaveM

Wed May 12, 2004 10:36 pm
Profile YIM
is evil...Evil Joe

I had one of the Carvin Quad-X preamp but sold it many years ago to fund a Soldano... good value for money...I regret not keeping it... if only I had an unlimited supply of money!

Thu May 13, 2004 2:08 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

if only I had an unlimited supply of money!

amen, dude, amen. :lol:

Thu May 13, 2004 3:41 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Carvin Cabs SUCK!!!

Their CUSTOM guitars are ok...

Their Power Amps are very good...

:wink:

Thu May 13, 2004 4:24 am
Dr. X

Carvin Amps SUCK!!!
Carvin Cabs SUCK!!!

Their CUSTOM guitars are ok...

Their Power Amps are very good...

:wink:

I like my Carvin gear very much. Care to tell me what sucks about Carvin amps and guitars? Just curious what it is you don't like.

stu

Fri May 14, 2004 1:14 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

DTO: be sure to put a review of your Carvins when you get them!

Hey there Altitudes84,

I just got my 727 last night. I can't put up a full review just yet, but I can say that this thing is a beast! I'm really digging it so far.

Sat May 29, 2004 4:20 am
Motorman

the other guitar player in the band i;m in uses a carvin x100b....same amp vai used to use. Lemme tell you....super good tone.....he used the quad-x pre-amp before that....and that was pretty damn good too.

Sat May 29, 2004 5:21 am
is evil...Evil Joe

I have a Carvin Legacy Steve Vai model half stack, ive had it for about 2years now. Carvin do make great amps, this amp has a great tone.
There are however a few things which might put people off buying one.

.....First of all this amp is extremely loud, i have it on the 50 watt setting and still have never had it up past 2 at a gig. (A marshall power break or THD hot plate could help solve that problem though)

.....Second, as the amp was designed by Steve Vai, you would think that this amp would be gain heavy, its quite the oppasite. There is a lot of gain in it but if you are planning on using it for racer x type stuff you might need some kind of gain boost pedal, i personaly think the Boss DS-1 works best.

Never the less this amp is great and with the extra gain, can achieve almost any tone.

hope this helps someone.

Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:01 pm
is the Siren's Eye

dto: hey! I also saw that on the Carvin boards (duh), but I don't remember what corresponding username went with it. Mine is "images" on the boards; PM me on there if you want to see pics of my DC145. That 7 string is stunning! Sucks though that the p/u switch got ding'ed in the shipping.

That_hormone_thing: I agree; the Legacy is LOUD. Some of my friends have traded their Legacies in because they're impractical for use at home or even certain gigs.

Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:09 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

I also saw that on the Carvin boards (duh), but I don't remember what corresponding username went with it.

It's dto there as well. I think my post on the second page now.

I got my new switch yesterday. They sent it out real quick, but it took longer to get it because of the holiday weekend. I'm just happy the guitar didn't get scratched or anything with the switch bouncing around in the case. :)

Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:20 pm
is the Siren's Eye

i got a DC-135C. The thing is awsome man. the action on the factory set up was kinda high though. once that was fixed this thing plays like heaven :P

Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:29 pm
God Of The Sun

>>Question: do you live in Newport Beach as in Orange County? If so, it'd be worthwhile to drive down to the Carvin store in LA and check out what they have there. Becker's Carvin was all-maple, if I'm not mistaken. If you run down to the store, ask them what wood combinations would be tonally comparable. <<

Where is the store located in LA? Could you get the address for me? Id love to check it out.

rock on,
b

oh and im in newport in the oc

Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next