View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 11:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 your picking style 
Dr. X

Post your picking style
I was just wondering how you guys pick? Like do you use your thumb and index or thumb, index, and middle. And if you "roll in" your remaning fingers or if you "anchor" them as in spreading out one or more fingers and holding on to the edge of a pickup or just putting them onto the guitar when picking. I myself hold the pick with my thumb and index and have my pinkie on the guitar.

Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:25 pm
God Of The Sun

Index & thumb, and I anchor my pinky on my bridge pickup ring kinda as a guide. I use to always try and have a "PG picking style" but that got old and I realized it's much easier to do what feels comfortable.

Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

pointer finger, middle finger, ring finger

Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:03 pm
God Of The Sun

Index and thumb. I hold the pick at a slight angle and anchor my right hand against the body with my pinky. I mostly move the pick with my thumb. Results in really minimal and precise movement. I guess you could say it's a mix of Malmsteen's and Petrucci's. I used to also try picking like PG but once I started adapting to this style, I've gotten about twice as fast/accurate.

Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:06 pm
Profile YIM
is evil...Evil Joe

Thumb and index. I use Dunlop 3mm stubby picks and hold them right at the tip. I rest my palm on the guitar (unusual i know, but Zakk Wylde does the same so shut up) but if i'm doing Steve morse style alternate picekd arpeggios i'll anchor my pinky and bring my wrist up

Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:14 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Thumb and index. I don't anchor my pinky. Middle finger for tapping.
When i fingerpick, i palm my pick with my index, so i use just my thumb, middle and ringfinger.

Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:34 am
is evil...Evil Joe

personally for fingerpicking, i just stick my pick in my mouth. I like to have all pima available for finger picking

but take somthing like manhatten, i just stick the pick in my palm for the little bits of finger picking

Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:42 am
is evil...Evil Joe

personally for fingerpicking, i just stick my pick in my mouth. I like to have all pima available for finger picking

I did that before, but i discovered that i can switch more easily between fingerpicking and flatpicking this way.
Most fingerpicking i do is pretty simple, so i don't need all fingers.

Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:29 am
is evil...Evil Joe

i play a lot of classical so i like to have a full hand available

Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:32 am
is evil...Evil Joe

i guess it's personal preference

Yeah. Some guys prefer blondes, some prefer brunettes.

And then there's the real picky motherfuckers, for whom only a redhead will do :D

Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:46 am
BOFH

Pick between my thumb and the side of my index finger... I anchor my little finger and sometimes my ring finger to to the bridge pickup to keep my picking more acurate. I hold the quite close to the tip too, makes those pinched harmonics a hell of a lot easier to hit.

Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
is O.H.B.

Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:53 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Viking Kong

My technique changes every time I change songs. When playing bass, I mainly use two fingers... and they either stay close to the neck or stay close to the bridge depending on what kind of song I am playing. When plucking chords, I use my thumb for the lower strings, and I fan my fingers out to other individual strings. When lazy, I bring in my ring finger for triplets. When tapping, I use my index and middle fingers (I switch it up depending on how fatigued the finger is) and my ring finger. For slapping my thumb, for popping my index and middle finger. When playing with a pick, I play it like I would a guitar. When playing fingerstyle, I anchor my thumb on the lowest string when playing the higher strings, and anchor it NOWHERE when playing the E string (and surprisingly, it works!)

On guitar I change the style of holding my pick to suit the song. To give the strings a cleaner bite, I hold the pick with my thumb on the back, and my index and middle supporting the front. I dont use my wrist to pluck the strings, I use the natural movement of my fingers. Actually, the movement I achieve with my fingers in this style is similar to writing with a pencil (I sorta hold the pick like I hold a pencil). For rock tunes, I use index finger and thumb, held slightly like PG does.

Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:10 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

I hold the pick with the index and thumb. I dont really like the way there is a pick scrape sound when you hold the pick at an angel so i try to hold it parallel to the strings. The side of my pick goes right under the index fingers nail, so my pick is not really on the side or the flat part of the index finger.

I hope you guys dont get confused by all of this :lol:

Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:14 pm
Profile YIM
Motorman

" PG picking style "

I suppose copying your idols does defeat the object of what comes natural to you, but if you have adapted to your heroe's style then that's all kool.

Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:56 pm
Viking Kong

Lav wrote:
" PG picking style "

I suppose copying your idols does defeat the object of what comes natural to you, but if you have adapted to your heroe's style then that's all kool.

Hmm... what if PG's style came natural to her, though?

Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:54 pm
is O.H.B.

I am not trying to copy PG,I just pick the same way as him.
Alternate Picking <--- 8)

Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:55 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Superhero

Be prepared to be confused :lol:

My technique changes every time I change songs. When playing bass, I mainly use two fingers... and they either stay close to the neck or stay close to the bridge depending on what kind of song I am playing. When plucking chords, I use my thumb for the lower strings, and I fan my fingers out to other individual strings. When lazy, I bring in my ring finger for triplets. When tapping, I use my index and middle fingers (I switch it up depending on how fatigued the finger is) and my ring finger. For slapping my thumb, for popping my index and middle finger. When playing with a pick, I play it like I would a guitar. When playing fingerstyle, I anchor my thumb on the lowest string when playing the higher strings, and anchor it NOWHERE when playing the E string (and surprisingly, it works!)

On guitar I change the style of holding my pick to suit the song. To give the strings a cleaner bite, I hold the pick with my thumb on the back, and my index and middle supporting the front. I dont use my wrist to pluck the strings, I use the natural movement of my fingers. Actually, the movement I achieve with my fingers in this style is similar to writing with a pencil (I sorta hold the pick like I hold a pencil). For rock tunes, I use index finger and thumb, held slightly like PG does.

Me too, on bass.

Guitar, I don't use a pick, I either do fingerpicking or just play it like a bass. :D

Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:02 pm
is O.H.B.

Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:27 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Dr. X

used to have it between the thumb and tip of index, picked "reverse" style where you tilt the pick back, now i have the pick between my thumb and the SIDE of my index, pointing the pick down, a-la paul. i switched a LOOONG time ago because i was getting cramps the other way, and paul must know SOMETHING about picking, ne'?

also, i USUALLY anchor my pinky and ring finger to the guitar (helps with palm muting), but sometimes i'll curl my fingers under my hand and pick "freestyle" a-la paul.

also, depending on the sound i'm going for, i either alternate pick, or do the gambale style economy picking. if i want speed more than articulation, i do gambale... if i want articulation more than speed, i do alternate.

Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next