View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Guitar Stuff Questions 
Dr. X

Post Guitar Stuff Questions
Heyas, it's been ages since I posted here.........

I've been wondering, when you're playing fast passages do you keep your thumb at the back of the neck or would you hook it over the top of the neck in a more blooz style? I go for the thumb thing myself and find that it works pretty good for me.

I have a guitar tab for Into The Night and the tempo is 144, is this too fast? It's ok for the verse, but when that solo and those 6 notes per beat licks kick in, how am I ever gonna be able to play that fast? Wasn't PG 20 or so when he played this? I'm 23 and can just about play it at 90bpm! :(

Anyone played the Fender Tom DeLonge Strat? I played one in a music shop the other week and it's a seriously amazing guitar. Might get one.....anyone have one and could give a quick review on it??

Does anyone play multi effects units through their guitar amp? I'm sure that some folks on here play POD but I got the POD XT and I WASN'T impressed. I felt it sounded awful no matter how I set it up... I have an old Korg AX1000G but I'm thinking of getting something different. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have Roland Cube 30amp, it's good but I'd like a few more tone options.

Thanks

Bingey

Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:55 pm
Dr. X

Post Shredding
It really depends on the neck. My old Ibanez has a really sweet Wizard neck, which is about 2 cm thick or close to it. I usually rest my thumb on the back to play fast. My other ibanez has a slightly thicker neck, and I play it just the same. The only problem with hooking your thumb over the neck is being able to wrap the rest of your fingers around the neck, esp. if you have small hands. To be honest though, I don't really think too much about where I'm gonna put my hands when I go into a fast passage, instinct kind of puts your hand in the right place anyway. It helps to kind of have your hand at an angle to the neck, so your 1st finger joint is right on the side of the neck, and your pinkie finger joint is away from it, as this will give you a wider reach, if you see what i mean.

I can't really help with the second point, as I haven't heard the song, sorry.

I've seen the Tom DeLonge strat but never played it. To be honest it looks a bit crap with just the one pickup and vol. pot.

I'm not really an expert on effects units, my advice there is just to shop around and try them all out before buying another one.

Hope i've been of some help.

Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:51 pm
Promises to use Search button

for the thumb part, if you want to go for the strech just like the post above mentions, you need the thumb in the middle of the neck, this applies big time when you play classical.

can't help you on points 1 & 2, but if you anything about Ash american deluxe fenders, I would love to hear about it, I'm a left and getting guitars is quite a pain for me :( , and I've already got an old RG470, so buying another lefty ibanez doesn't seem worth, unless paul sends me a lefty pgm10th :P

anyways, for effects, if you are looking for all in one stuff, i recomend GNX3 or 4, boss GT5 or 6, is great too, the gnx for has the advantage that you can put midi drum tracks, and you can record onto it which is great for taking with you/recording studio kinda thing.

Sorry I don't know anything about POD, I have heard my friend play an RG550 though his line 6 and it sounded great.

good luck

Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:52 am
Profile YIM
Dr. X

well man, my best advice would be not to get the tom delonge strat as it is complete garbage. You'd be better off with a standard strat. As far as multi effects... I'm not to fond of those either. Some of them sound fake and are limited.

Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:24 pm
God Of The Sun

lots of people say different things about hand positioning on the neck. It really all boils down to what your comfortable with. usually people with small hands are goonna want to use the "classical" style where your thumb is in the center of the neck. I myself play a 7 string guitar and have small hands, but because i have large palms and shorter fingers, i find that holding the neck blues style s more comfortable for me. I only use the classical style when im playing barr chords and large stretch jazz chords and stuff.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]