View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 modifying a guitar, what is your advice? 
Promises to use Search button

Post modifying a guitar, what is your advice?
hello,

I though that it would be a good idea to take the opinions of the guitarists that are here in the forum before paying quite a bit of money.
To see what I am talking about, http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/frame_japan.html
Sorry there ain’t a direct link. But it’s in guitars->j-custom->RG8520 with the Transparent Blue top

I've done some pretty good research on guitarprojects.com so i have a very good idea about what is going, but I would like the players opinions.
Here is the short version, I’ve got an old RG470L (I’m a lefty), and it’s been with me for years. Point is I love Ibanezes, and the only good lefty from them is the rg1570l… which is almost exactly like my guitar. Also and this is the big one, I live in Saudi arabia, there are very few guitar shops, and no real techs to my knowledge or custom shops. so I am very limited, and everything i mostly done through the net.

I was thinking of doing something nice with it. I’ve put the list down there. And the company is LGM, and they have done similar work http://www.lgmguitars.com/ce-lacs.html, so to run it down,
• Add a nice top
• Change the trem and make an edge or original floyd rose fit
• refret

to put you in the picture this is what they told me.

> thank you sir for your reply
> >1. Veneer top with trans blue finish..................$350
> what grade would it be? my understanding that tops have a grade system....>
The grade is tough to say with veneer, it would be the best looking piece I can find. I would do my best to find a AAAAA grade piece of veneer.

> >2. Refret with 6105 dunlop frets (7VWH) ........$140
> ummm, what does the 7VWH stand for?
7VWH is the model of JEM that uses the 6105 frets, for comparison
>
> >3. I wouldn't bother converting a left hand edge tremolo or lo pro edge to lefty, I don't
> >think there is any difference in price between a right or left Ibanez trem, so if you are
> >going to have to purchase one I would just buy it as a lefty and have the body modified
> >for the edge / lopro edge trem. The Edge pro's take more of a modification, I would
> >recommend staying with the Edge systems.
> >A cheaper option would be going with an original Floyd rose in a lefty, these are better than
> >the Lo-trs trems by far, still not as nice as an edge, but less money. A new Edge or Lo pro edge
> >will probably run you about $250. An OFR will probably be about $175 or so (I have to check
> >pricing on them)

thanks everybody

Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:08 pm
Profile YIM
is evil...Evil Joe

don't change anything unless u are 110% sure of what u are doing!!! The slightest change to ur guitar can turn it from hero to zero. U should do a lot of research into any changes u are going to make b4 putting them in2 action. U could go to a proffesional company like Combat Guitars (etc) to have them customize ur guitar and make any changes for u. They will not charge u until are completely satisfied with the changes and have tested them all out. If u are a begginer, ,don't do anything too extreme like changing the headstock/fretboard as it can destroy the whole of the guitar's feel.

Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:47 pm
God Of The Sun

check this guy out too www.ekgguitars.com ....he does some of the best work that i have seen...he is very reasonable..........ask around on this forum,any one will vouch for him....not only that, eddie is the coolest guy too. 8)

"playing the crazy double neck,screaming my lungs out,playing crazy licks.....enjoy!"

My future ex-wife is Milla Natasha Jovovich..... and monkeys will fly out of my butt.

Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:23 pm
God Of The Sun

Thanx firerocker for the reference and the kind words ;-)

LGM is great. I know Jeremy and we've work together quite a bit. The prices that are quoted there are very reasonable and I couldn't match it at this time....(too swamped as it is ;-) ).

The body would have to be stripped and prepped before even doing the actual mod....lotta work there.

Refretting the neck isn't just a matter of pulling the old and putting in the new....there's a lot more to it.

I think the trem swap is the biggest improvement. The Edge and LoPro trems are so stable.

But just like hendrixdude said....make SURE you want the mods done.

Sat May 01, 2004 12:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]