View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Which cab to go with a Laney AOR Pro Tube 50 head? 
Dr. X

Post Which cab to go with a Laney AOR Pro Tube 50 head?
I just bought this Laney head on eBay and I've never had a head/cab setup before so I have absolutely no experience with them. I was looking at the Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, but nobody around here sells them so I can't play before I buy. The best that I could find in the shops around here were some Marshall 4x12s, but I would really prefer to have a 2x12 as I'm just going to hook up a hotplate and play this in my bedroom anyways, won't be for gigging unless something changes in the distant future.

What I'm wondering is, does the maker of the cab have that much influence on the sound, or is it mostly in the speakers? If I can find something with some good celestion speakers in it should I snap it up?

Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:57 am
is the Siren's Eye

I recently bought a Laney GH50L head and was looking for a good 2x12 cab myself.

Your right what u say, its all in the speakers! The rest of the cab doesn`t affect the sound, its all in the speakers. Some cabs offer stereo and others mono. The laney heads are good in that they are compatible with all speaker cabs in terms of impedance as they offer many options for 8ohm 4ohm stereo/mono etc.

Celestion 75Watt speakers are standard in the marshall range, the 1936 2x12 marshall cab has 75watt Celestions but they are very shrill on the ears, and don`t offer very much bottom end in my opinion. As I used to use a 4x12 1960a cab with 75w celestions and it was very ear piercingly shrill.

A lower wattage speaker provides a warmer sound with more bottom end.
I eventually went for the Carvin Legacy 2x12 which has Celestion Vintage 30`s (which are actually 60Watt speaker. I get a nice warm tone out of it, very sweet. The Genz-Benz ones are apparently excellent and built like a brick! they weigh as much as a 4x12 nearly haha.

Randall make a good 2x12 but they are 80 watt speakers, never played one but I can imagine they are quite shrill. A lower wattage speaker will provide much more bottom end to your tone in my opinion. The carvin Legacy is well built but only has a mono input which doesn`t bother me.

U should take your head into a shop and try a few out. But my advice is to learn about the speakers, have a listen to various ones, some provide warmer tones than others.

If u need any more specific advice, just reply and I`ll get back to you.

Cheers
Col
Guitarist in Black Rose

http://listen.to/blackrose

Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:49 am
is the Siren's Eye

Was just reading my previous reply over and forgot to mention:
When I say the Marshall 75w celestions are shrill, I only really found this when I was playing at high stage volumes. At low volumes in my house it always sounded extremely good. You said you tried a marshall 4x12, it is likely that it was a 1960a which is the 4x12 version of the 1936 2x12, which has those 75 w celestions in it. This sounds great in the house. But for me playing at high volumes I wanted a warmer tone with a little more bottom end.

The only difference between a 2x12 and a 4x12 is the spread of sound really. I used to use a 4x12 because the band wan`t miced upthrough the PA and I needed a bigger spread of sound to cut through the mix. Now my band is miced up a smaller rig will do the job for me. For example when I went to see Steve Vai at London he used a Carvin comob, I couldn`t believe that was all he used but it was all he needed as he was put through the PA and didn`t need anything bigger really. So if u are only playing in the house for now, definately consider the Marshall, it`ll sound sweet, but beware of it at higher volumes in my opinion.

Cheers
Col

Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:10 am
Dr. X

Yeah, based off some opinions that I got froma couple other forums that I frequent and some reviews from harmony central I decided to go with a G212H from http://www.avatarspeakers.com Good price, and the guy that runs the place is really nice. They have a 2 week guarantee, so I can try it out, and if I don't like it return it. It will have one Vintage30 and One G12H speaker in it. He said this is what most people who order from him request and that it sounds really good. So we shall see.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:28 pm
is the Siren's Eye

Good luck with that one man, what kinda price did u get? and is it a stereo or mono cab?
Col

Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:53 pm
Dr. X

It's a mono cab, for $278. But it looks like I may not be getting this head after all, I think the seller misrepresented what he had. He listed the amp as an AOR pro tube 50 watt, but I got a tip from another eBay member that this may actually be a single channel 30 watt head. It doesn't have the volume and gain pots on it for the AOR channel, and there's no footswitch input on the back. I have emailed the seller to make sure that it is indeed the 2 channel 50 watt, but it's looking like it's not at this point.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]