View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 amp question 
is the Siren's Eye

Post amp question
ive been playin guitars for 3 yrs now, but i admit, i dont know anything about amps or gears. when i bought my very first electric guitar online ( a fake jackson copy KV10, i didnt know at first ), only got it for $600 also goes with a practice amp crate GX15 , and you know what it really sucks! i cant get the sound that i wanted (like that ultra heavy metal crunch and super lead tone). i also noticed that my guitar pickups were...again...fake and fucked up. so i went to a guitar shop to replace it with dimarzio superdistortion (or so they say). when i tested it and plugged it to one of their amps - a marshall jcm or something...holy shit?! sounds really nice, but the price was like "what the fuck?" i cant afford that! so its been 1 yr and half that i did not touch my jackson (just play mostly acoustics) i still get a shitty sound with it from my practice amp, is there any very good amp that you can get online for like under $600 or $700? i still cant afford a $1000 amp. well i work on a job that only gets paid $8/hr. ya know :evil: plus i dont wanna buy anymore effect pedals - i just bought this octave pedal, i thought this was a cool one but fuck it sounded like your playing a piano...what the fuck? then i got this digitech programmable distortion and you know what - sounded like shit! :evil:
and the problem is how am i supposed get rid or sell these pedals/amp?

Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:06 am
Superhero

Its the most anoying thing in the world having to play shit gear..

AAAAARGGGHH!..

I feel like setting all mine on fire.

(Imagine playing in band situation.. Drums, Bass.. etc etc.. and then theres me and my fuckin joke 10watt amp.. and literally.. thats what its like. I dont think I can take it much longer..)

But the moral is..

DONT buy cheap gear. If you dont have enough money, dont settle for second best.. Save the fuck up. For Gods sake.

I cant really help you, other than to suggest ebay.. Buy second hand guitars.. I prefer 'worn in' ones anyway.. and they're cheaper..

Sell your shit gear on ebay.. Save up and buy some decent gear.. 2nd hand stuff off ebay.. It'll save you an arm and a leg.

Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:21 am
Viking Kong

Try ebay to sell your shit. You could find a good amp on it too. Just make sure the seller has good feedback and lot's of transactions.

Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:24 am
Profile YIM
is the Siren's Eye

wow thanks. i forgot all about ebay...thanks again!

Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:26 am
Superhero

You definitly need a Line 6 Flextone 2. Buy from EBAY and you can get a 1x12 combo for 350 or 400$. This has all effects you could ever want, its plenty loud and can get almost any tone (just not quiet as good as the real tones like mesa boogie or laney blues tone) but you can get Damn close to each of those.

Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:40 am
Viking Kong

Just remember man... there are cheaper guitars that sound great... but nothing can really substitute a good sounding amp with lots of power. Really, its the truth.

There are entry level guitars that are made with high quality materials, but could use a change of pickups and certain hardware that you might find to your distaste. When you get a HIGH QUALITY amp, though, the guitar will be screaming so loudly, people will fail to notice any misperfections.

A good amp can make a bad guitar sound good - thats, at least, how I view it. I am not an experienced guitar player, so my opinions might not mean much to anyone (I am a bass player), but I know how things go in the bass world, and I dont imagine that things would be TOO much different in the guitar world.

Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:30 am
God Of The Sun

I feel your pain. I started playing 20 years ago. I started out with a Hondo Les Paul copy, a Rat pedal & my parents old stereo that had a 1/4" mic input. My girlfriend's brother gave me an old Kustom head & another friend gave my a homemade cab with 4x12" speakers. Except for a Kramer my parents bought me, on lay away, I never had a brand new piece of gear until about 5 or 6 years ago. Pawn shops & online auctions, along with a local music store that always has used gear, were my best friends.

I now have 2 7-string guitars, a Line 6 amp that rocks, & a whole lot of other stuff. Be patient & like they said before, don't settle. You'll be very unhappy. Patience is a virtue & it pays off. Also, try before you buy, unless you know exactly what you're getting. Good luck.

Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters

Image Image

Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

if you can afford a $600- $700 amp, then juts save up and get the $1000 one. it feels great when you first buyy your first $1000+ piece of gear :D

you make me sick!!!

Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:19 am
Motorman

up until 8 months ago...all i had was my ibanez jem.....now i got a 5150 II a PGM500 and a Jackson.....now i'm starting on rack stuff. Best advice, go big or go home.

Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:25 am
is the Siren's Eye

Post My 2 cents worth
Hi
Read your original post and know exactly what u are going through.

Its a tough thing to get the sound u are looking for for a reasonable price but it is out there. Ive been through countless amp and pedal buy/sell situations to finally settle on what I`ve got now.

My personal preference is Valve amps, I us a Laney GH50L, it has a great tone and is very reasonably priced. I use a Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab with it. But it depends on your situation, if u are looking to gig with your rig then I would say a Valve amp arrangement is the way to go, and a guitar with a good set of pickups ie. Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan.

However if u are just looking to jam in the house and with friends etc, any budget priced valve amp head or combo would work. If u require a much sweeter distortion sound u could do a lot worse than use a Boss DS-1 pedal through the clean channel of any amp. Some people don`t realise that Vai and Satriani don`t actually use the distorted sound from their amps they rely solely on the Boss DS-1 for their distortion, click on this link if u want to confirm this http://www.users.bigpond.com/apertout/Satriani.htm

If u are struggling for a sweet rock sound u could do a lot worse than buy a Boss DS-1 pedal and use it on the clean channel (or on top of) your amps distortion. Its only about 40 dollars as well I believe.

Post back if u need any further advice, I`ve been through it all painstakingly myself dude

Cheers
Jordie

Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]