View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 jackson question 
IP Banned

Post jackson question
i was thinking about getting a jackson soloist. what's the difference between the SL1, SL2H, and SL3 guitars? which ones are made in the USA? thanks for the help! :P

Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:03 am
Dr. X

Post Re: jackson question
chemical_ali wrote:
i was thinking about getting a jackson soloist. what's the difference between the SL1, SL2H, and SL3 guitars? which ones are made in the USA? thanks for the help! :P

The USA SL-1 has one humbucker and two single coils.

The USA SL-2H has two humbuckers.

Aside from that, they are identical in build. If memory serves, the SL-3 is made overseas, and not a USA Select. The USA's are much more expensive, but IMHO are well worth the money. They hold their value nicely.

I personally own one SL-1, and four SL-2H's, and love them all.

John

Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:45 pm
IP Banned

yeah, i think i want the one with the single coils. all SL-1 and SL-2 are USA select, right?

i wish there was a place closer than 40 min away that actually sold them! errrrrrghhh! :evil:

Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:36 pm
Dr. X

all SL-1 and SL-2 are USA select, right?

Yes. They all should say 'Made in USA' on the headstock.

Tell you what, you want to get one? Go see Matt at www.onlinestagegear.com and you'll get the best deals on USA Jacksons ANYWHERE. He's a member at the Charvel/Jackson Forum too, and also sells the new Jacksons on Ebay as well. Don't worry about wanting to play it first before you buy. All USA Select Jacksons are professionally setup, and a dream to play. If you've never played one before, prepare yourself for the most incredible lowest of actions possible.

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/ultimatebb.php

I've bought two of my USA Jacksons from Matt. Here is the second USA Jackson I bought from him. This is the actual picture he took of my guitar. Limited Edition - only 20 made.

Ain't it shaaaaweet?

Check out the Jackson Forum. Lot's of helpful people hang there.

Listen to your conscience.... "BUY A JACKSON... BUT A JACKSON..."

John :)

Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:28 am
IP Banned

yes, my conscience is telling me, "buy a jackson.. buy a jackson..." that guitar is sweet, man! i want an SL-1 so badly but i don't quite have the bucks! i wish they gave the prices on that site! :cry: the only quote i saw on a soloist was $2000. yikes! :shock: that U.S.A. bc rich mockingbird at $1500 is tempting though... :twisted: i think i'm still gonna try out both guitars in the mean time while i save up for whatever i will eventually get. i hope they set up those things well for the money you're paying for them! :lol: i can only do so much on a telecaster that frets out when you bend over a whole step! :evil:

:twisted: "buy a jackson... buy a jackson..." :twisted:

Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:13 am
is evil...Evil Joe

That is a beautiful guitar. Lol, now I want a Jackson ;)

Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

yes, my conscience is telling me, "buy a jackson.. buy a jackson..." that guitar is sweet, man! i want an SL-1 so badly but i don't quite have the bucks! i wish they gave the prices on that site! :cry: the only quote i saw on a soloist was $2000. yikes! :shock: that U.S.A. bc rich mockingbird at $1500 is tempting though... :twisted: i think i'm still gonna try out both guitars in the mean time while i save up for whatever i will eventually get. i hope they set up those things well for the money you're paying for them! :lol: i can only do so much on a telecaster that frets out when you bend over a whole step! :evil:
:twisted: "buy a jackson... buy a jackson..." :twisted:

The lowest price you'll find for new USA Selects are in the $1399.00 ballpark, unless you go with a limited edition model, which may get upwards to $1500 to $1700. You're gonna have to figure spending the $1500, not the $2000. I own five USA Jacksons, and the only one I have that's over $2000 is a custom shop one-of-a-kind. I paid $2500 for it which included tax. USA Jacksons in general hold their value nicely.

Keep in mind what you're getting for this: SOLID built *neck-thru* (easy access to all the high frets), beautiful paint finish, Seymour Duncan pickups, original Floyd Rose (or fixed bridge if you fancy), amazingly nice neck with super low action, great sound, perfectly balanced, and made for the playing professional.

Let me know anytime you want to discuss Jacksons.

John

Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:36 am
IP Banned

yes john, thank you for reminding me why i'm saving my two week $300 paychecks from serving popcorn at a movie theater. :lol: i can shell out $1500... it just might take me a while to get there though... but i am saving! i might have to take out a loan from my mom cause i just can wait. my telecaster's fretting out is driving me nuts!

btw, john. when they set up the jacksons at the factory, what gauge strings do they set up for? i use 10s (ernie ball regular slinky), which i believe to be slightly heavier than what most 'fast' guitarists use (most use 9s). can you tell them to set up the guitar for the strings you use before you order the guitar?

thanks for the replies regarding the jacksons!

Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:03 am
King Of The Monsters

USA made Jackson´s are cool, and they are a good buy, even though I prefer a Strat or a Carvin.
But a Jackson made anywhere else (Japan, Korea), it´s a piece of rubbish. With that money, you can buy a very good Ibanez guitar.
I once played the Marty Friedman model, and I was speechless, what an awesome sustain of that guitar....

Image Image

Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

yes john, thank you for reminding me why i'm saving my two week $300 paychecks from serving popcorn at a movie theater. :lol: i can shell out $1500... it just might take me a while to get there though... but i am saving! i might have to take out a loan from my mom cause i just can wait. my telecaster's fretting out is driving me nuts!

btw, john. when they set up the jacksons at the factory, what gauge strings do they set up for? i use 10s (ernie ball regular slinky), which i believe to be slightly heavier than what most 'fast' guitarists use (most use 9s). can you tell them to set up the guitar for the strings you use before you order the guitar?

If you keep saving and get a Jackson, then I tip my hat to you! They aren't exactly inexpensive, and took me twenty years of playing to be even willing to shell out the dough for one.

It's standard setup for Jackson to put 9's on them. If you use 10's, you'll want to adjust the Floyd a tad when you change string gauges. All the setup's are virtually perfect. In fact, all my Jacksons came with the action a little too *low* for what I was used to, so I gave them a one quarter turn on the truss rod.

Like I said, if you haven't played a USA Jackson before, you're going to be very pleasantly surprised at how much better it'll play from your current guitar.

John

Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:35 pm
Dr. X

That is a beautiful guitar. Lol, now I want a Jackson ;)

Chad, long time no talk!!! But don't you want Bruce's orange Epiphone instead????? I've already decided that if I ever did decide to part with it, I'm giving you first dibs on it.

I have a new email: [email protected]

I never figure out how in the heck to get those Cubase plugin's to work (sigh).

John

Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:44 pm
IP Banned

right now i've got about $700 saved to buy a jackson with. at about 200 per paycheck every two weeks that will make me meet my goal of $1500 in about... 8 weeks? errrrrgggghhhhhh!! :evil: :cry:

Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:48 pm
IP Banned

chemical_ali wrote:

If you keep saving and get a Jackson, then I tip my hat to you! They aren't exactly inexpensive, and took me twenty years of playing to be even willing to shell out the dough for one.

It's standard setup for Jackson to put 9's on them. If you use 10's, you'll want to adjust the Floyd a tad when you change string gauges. All the setup's are virtually perfect. In fact, all my Jacksons came with the action a little too *low* for what I was used to, so I gave them a one quarter turn on the truss rod.

Like I said, if you haven't played a USA Jackson before, you're going to be very pleasantly surprised at how much better it'll play from your current guitar.

John

i suppose i could try switching to 9s in order to take full advantage of the jackson's pro setup. do they even adjust the intonation and floyd at the factory?

Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:51 pm
Superhero

Bruce's orange Epiphone

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:54 pm
Dr. X

i suppose i could try switching to 9s in order to take full advantage of the jackson's pro setup. do they even adjust the intonation and floyd at the factory?

Yes, the intonation and Floyd is all set up in their Ontario CA. shop.

And I agree that if you do change string gauges, then it would need to be adjusted.

I use 9's myself.

John

Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:16 am
Dr. X

JJGray wrote:
Bruce's orange Epiphone

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Keep in mind I said *if*. :wink:

If I did ever let it loose, I'd want it to go to a guitar player who'd value it, rather than abuse it.

John

Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:17 am
is the Siren's Eye

Dude, save your money and get the usa soloists. I play only jacksons and have for years. 3 Rhoads and 2 soloists. Granted I use 12 gauge string due to my tunings but just save your money. You might check out ebay and you might beable to save some money that way.

Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
IP Banned

is it just me or do all the usa select jackson guitars have ring mounted pickups?!?! they're killin me! btw, those prices seem to have really dropped on that website you posted john gray! that seems like a steal at $1100 for a USA soloist! :shock:

Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:22 am
is the Siren's Eye

Post Jacksons are great...
But check out the EVH Wolfgang! I have an early Soloist, which I played all the time, but I decided to go check out the new models. I wasn't in my local music store 10 minutes when my friend (the owner) asked me to try out the Wolfgang, and to give him my honest opinion.

I'm pretty picky about my guitars( Aren't we all!?), so I usually know the minute I put my hand around the neck if I'm gonna' like it. Well, let me tell ya', the neck on this baby feels like it was made for my hand. It was like Peavey and EVH had taken measurements of my hand, and then made a neck to fit it. I was blown away, to say the least!

But then I plugged it in... Whoa! Every note was crystal clear, it didn't matter how much gain I dialed in, I could hear every note in every chord that I played! The sustain is incredible! The pickups have a warm, clear sound and the quilted maple top gives it the definition that my Jackson lacks. I bought it on the spot!

I couldn't be happier with this guitar. My speed and accuracy have improved greatly because of the way the neck is designed. The Wolfgang is very comfortable to play, and you can get alot of different sounds out of it by just backing off on the volume knob. I've never made a better investment. Try one out, I think you may be suprised!

Daniel

Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:29 am
IP Banned

the wolfgang... one of the most expensive guitars money can buy! :lol:

Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next