View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 G3 DVD 
God Of The Sun

Post G3 DVD
SO I finally got this in the mail w/ the G3 cd + the autographed cover! So happy!

The dvd is fantastic! Its so funny to see Yngwie shred with these guys, and he goes totally insane while these guys just sorta chill while playing :twisted: Man G3 was one of the greatest concerts I've been to, and Im glad they put this one on dvd!

Be sure to watch the very end at the start of the credits! SO FUNNY!

They are talking to Yngwie backstage, and then theres two people passing towels between them, Yngwie goes to grab one while its in the air and steve Vai is like,"towel baseball, and he misses Strike three! your out!" or something like that. Yngwie just looks around and is like what? hahahaha

Gona listen to the cd now, it has Blitzkrieg on it :shock: hell yea!

Rock on,
Emblazed

Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:40 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

btw, are there any extra's on the dvd?

Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:36 am
Superhero

They have a Fretcam on 3 songs, one from each guy, tour info and bios. I think that's about it.

JE

Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:24 pm
Godzilla

I think i'm going to pick up the dvd soon :)
btw i just bought the live at the astoria vai dvd DAMN that dvd is worth every single cent :shock:

Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:20 pm
Motorman

I got the CD and DVD. Its okay, pretty entertaining. I cant put my finger on why, but I cant get into it. It doesnt even come close to the Astoria DVD.

I used to be a Satch fan, seen him twice and i still think he is very good BUT come on Joe, play something different for a change. I keep seeing him do the same old material. What i wouldnt give for some "Baroque" or "Lords of Karma".

Vai- well, no one comes close, the greatest guitarist ever (IMO), and his playing and set choice are great. At first i was thinking "what, 3 songs on the DVD, that sucks" but they are long tracks!

Yngwie- i respect him a lot more now, ive had his live in Brazil solo for a long time but couldnt get into it. Im going to dig it out 8) I even like his arrogance now and he makes me smile with some of his moves.

The Jam- Whats happened to Joe's voice? On the tours ive seen and on the last G3 DVD his singing was great. Listening to him in "Rockin' in the free world" is painful. Really bad singing. Sorry Joe, perhaps he had a bad night. The best track is (surprise, surprise) Vai doing Little wing. To be honest, i prefer the jam on the first G3 DVD.

Otherwise same general comments as i keep seeing. The bonus features are a disgrace, no other word will do. They give you a lighting rig diagram WTF? There's 3 1/2 Gigabytes of space left on the DVD. :evil: Its unreal.

The CD is the same, over half a CD free (second disc is less than half full).What a waste. Come on Epic you tight gits- you've paid for the CD, why not fill it up?

Hopefully i will get more into it, but at the moment-if you dont have it- buy Vai at the Astoria first.

Im sorry i bitched so much, but its a bit of a let down :?

Mark

Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:15 pm
God Of The Sun

goos shit

but joe should definately go back to marshalls(maybe his tone was just bad in that one show?)

The fact that flamethrowers exist is enough to prove that somewhere, sometime, someone said to themselves "you know, I wanna set those people over there on fire, but im just not close enough to get the job done".

Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
God Of The Sun

My friend Tim came over (korean guy), totally not into metal..and when he saw him swing his guitar, play with his teeth, and the finale with what Yngwie did with his guitar (wont give it away incase you guys buy it)..he just started laughing and lovin it. I think he might go see Yngwie with me next friday if he can. Yngwie is a total black sheep playing with those guys, but he totally adds a cool vibe with them. Cant wait till next friday :twisted: \m/ Im going to be singing all the songs and going crazy in the pit :roll:

Ah, and I think that Yngwie was alot tighter on vodoo chile when he played it at the Greek, just seemed like it was waay better overall, but still kicked butt on the dvd!

Rock on,
Emblazed

p.s. the vai live dvd is insane, Ive been watching that non stop when ever I come home from skoo :twisted:

Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Yeah, pretty good DVD. Not the greatest thing ever, but still damn good. Although I do prefer the cd over the DVD.

I agree with Ibanez....Joe needs to play different songs live. 'Baroque' is my favorite satch song, I think it would be great to hear live.

As for Vai.....well....he's Vai. AMAZING.

And with Yngwie....I just can't help but to sit there and just laugh. I eman I COMPLETELY respect him, I just.......I'm not even gonna go there. :roll:

Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:23 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Does anybody know a Internet-shop wich can ship the DVD to Germany? It's not available here yet..

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:08 pm
Profile ICQ
God Of The Sun

I love Satch's tone on this DVD....they tossed in 2 "new" songs (Midnight and Starry Night) but they have to leave the other popular songs to sell the DVD/CD, I guess?

Vai is amzaing......that triple neck instrumental was killer.

Yngwie...he can play and he has presence, that's for sure, but after a couple of tunes, I'm back to the beginning of the DVD.

I got mine at Tower for $9.99, but passed on the CD...it was $24.99!!!

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:50 pm
God Of The Sun

Live in Astoria is amazing. Where are you guys getting the new G3 DVD?

Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:27 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

"playing the crazy double neck,screaming my lungs out,playing crazy licks.....enjoy!"

My future ex-wife is Milla Natasha Jovovich..... and monkeys will fly out of my butt.

Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:31 pm
Motorman

I got mine at Best Buy for $12.99 yesterday. After one watching... it's overall a very good DVD. The jams were very watchable whereas I didn't care for the jams on the first G3 DVD. The individual sets were good too, except it's sad that Satch sold his nice tone to Peavey. Other than the ruined Satch tone, I really enjoyed the DVD. Could have used some more "behind the scenes" footage. The footage at the end seemed mostly staged and stiff. The guys didn't seem like they were just hanging out. Seemed more like they were fulfilling an obligation and wanted to get the hell out of there as fast as possible.

Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:06 pm
Godzilla

I bought the dvd today.. it's a good dvd but when you have seen the live at the astoria dvd it seems like vai has used all his energy during that show and didn't have any energy left for the Denver show lol :lol:

but hey Juice was cool man and the triple jem neck thingy also ;)
Satch kicked ass as usual and his new guitarfinish is way cool (the red flamed/ with the silfer surfer on the back).. and eh malmsteen... wel uh yeah he's good but he doesn't know when to slow down :P

( sorry for the bad english )

Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:00 pm
Dr. X

Does anybody know a Internet-shop wich can ship the DVD to Germany? It's not available here yet..

Have you tried Amazon.com ? I ordered it from them for 11$ +shipping and received it within 10 days. It should be available in stores like Virgin I think.

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:59 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Great DVD. My wife just got back from the states and got it for me.

Satch - I've always had respect for JS but on this he seems to pull the pentatonic card too often. I wouldn't mind if there was variation in it but for someone with such facility on the guitar he doesn't seem to branch out enough for these ears. Actually I'm glad he's on the DVD first cause I think the excitement level, of the crowd and the intensity sits about right the way it is on the DVD.

Vai - classic Vai class without repeating what I've already seen. This is a great companion to the Astoria DVD because it's almost the same band but not resting on their laurels. The entertainment value of his show is the highlight of the DVD for me.

Yngwie - I've heard every lick Yngwie ever played x 10000, but somehow in this abbreviated setting he really shines IMO, as if the less is more adage suddenly found it's place among the DVD's busiest guitarist. I don't think this G3 would be the same without him. He's like the bratty little brother of the mature Satch and Vai, but the family dynamic is enhanced.

The Jams - Vai and Satch know each other's moves and vibes and bounce of each other well. Yngwie has never really played with other guitar players so he's not very tuned into providing space for the other players and responding to their phrases, but I liked it anyway. Of course I wish Yngwie would have stopped to catch a breath once in a while and not fill in every bar, but hey - he was in the moment and it's easy to forget that for starters he probably couldn't even hear what the other guys were doing.

This DVD is a good addition to my collection since I appreciate Yngwie and Satch but wouldn't necessarily go and buy a 2 hour DVD of each.

Feeding The Addiction - Melodic Rock

Chris is an Australian Mesa/Boogie artist

Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Dr. X

I love Satch's tone on this DVD....they tossed in 2 "new" songs (Midnight and Starry Night) but they have to leave the other popular songs to sell the DVD/CD, I guess?

Vai is amzaing......that triple neck instrumental was killer.

Yngwie...he can play and he has presence, that's for sure, but after a couple of tunes, I'm back to the beginning of the DVD.

I got mine at Tower for $9.99, but passed on the CD...it was $24.99!!!

midnights pretty old, surfing with the alien days...

Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:23 am
Motorman

Just got the DVD, and I was blown away by how good Yngwie was... yet embarrassed for him for his 'theatrics'. His playing was stellar, particularly his acoustic bit - but his antics were beyond self-parody.
I thought Satch was a bit flat, and his tone was a bit harsh. Vai was effortlessly fluid - maybe too effortless for me. I prefer a bit more danger, a little more recklessness I guess.
The DVD was $10 on Amazon. An excellent buy.

Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]